Sign in to follow this  
Otokonoyama

Reefer Madness engulfs Ozumo

Pot is legally and culturally unacceptable while alcohol is legal (when of the correct age) and part of both sumo and overall Japanese culture and most cultures in the world. That's really all there is to it.

When in Rome......etc etc

I do not share your opinion that weed, although illegal, is culturally unacceptable in most parts of the world, but I think that

What I am trying to understand is:

In the Sumo world, is it considered doping, detrimental conduct or anything else that I am missing ?

This topic was discussed extensively when Wakanoho was caught..

You can read about it here.

As far as I can recall from the discussion - this is just an issue of breaking the Japanease low. The NSK is not too keen on checking rikishi substance intake.

What I am trying to understand is:

In the Sumo world, is it considered doping, detrimental conduct or anything else that I am missing ?

This topic was discussed extensively when Wakanoho was caught..

You can read about it here.

As far as I can recall from the discussion - this is just an issue of breaking the Japanease low. The NSK is not too keen on checking rikishi substance intake.

Thanks

Edited by Mockingbird

Oguruma Oyakata announcing the retirement:

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding here: Oguruma himself retired?

No, Wakairin's retirement only. At least, for now..

Just a bit more on this.

The Kyokai has not accepted Wakakirin's retirement officially. Only Oguruma oyakata submitted the notice but it does not mean the Kyokai has accepted Wakakirin's retirement.

The distinction may not look so obvious but the point is that if they accept his retirement then it means he has "left" the Kyokai and Wakakirin is no longer a member of the Kyokai. Then the Kyokai cannot make any decision on him any longer.

Currently the Kyokai will need to make a severance payment to retiring sekitori but if they can "expel" him then they do not need to do so. It will require 3/4 majority of their voting members to get it approved however as long as Wakakirin is still a member of the Kyokai.

I forget, is the "no more severance pay for dismissed rikishi" rule change on the books yet?

Not yet, but now they are speaking of "expulsion". If that will be decided, no money, and it will be the first ever, as opposed to 8 "dismissals" in the past.

It's jyomei (expulsion) 除名 as opposed to kaiko - 解雇-dismissal.

Any reaction yet from the former Oshiogawa Oyakata?

Every time I think of Wakakirin, I remember all the fuss when his now-retired shisho gave him that shikona. Perhaps recalling that might give some insight into how Oshiogawa-Oyakata, the original "kirin" of the "kirin line," might be feeling?

Rather than post a link to a 4+ year old message, here's what Jonosuke wrote about it at the time. The message was titled "Oshiogawa's Bright Hope":

Another topic from a couple of days ago:

For the first time in 17 years, a new sekitori was born with the legendary name of "Kirin".

Heis Oshiogawa Beya's Shinichi Suzukawa, 20, now renamed to "Wakakirin". It has taken him five and half years to reach a Juryo ranking since his dohyo debut.

He displays a good tsuppari skill and is showing a great promise. And now on he will be following a path of the great ozumo line of "Kirin". Oshiogawa oyakata, himself a great Ozeki, was known in his active days as Daikirin. It will be interesting to see how this new rising star, the fourth to be named with "Kirin" in sumo history, will show his presence at the Kokugikan.

Afte the last basho, Suzukawa made the Juryo promotion together with Hakurozan from Russia. He was summoned to his shisho soon after. First he was told not to get defeated by the name and was handed out a new shikona, "Waka-Kirin". It left him breathless. He saw the two kanjis not freely permitted to be given. He felt the weight of the two kanjis. "Kirin" is a mythical creature found in old Chinese literature and has a meaning of "pre-eminent or outstanding person".

The original "Kirin", Oshiogawa oyakata assumed "Kirinji" when he made his Juryo debut at the 1962 Nagoya Basho. He was renamed to "Daikirin" when he was promoted to Ozeki at the Natsu Basho in 1970.

The second was heya's junior brother rikishi mate, "Kirinji", currently Kitajin oyakata. The third was "Tamakirin" who made the Juryo debut at the 1986 Natsu Basho but then in June, 1987 he has left the Kyokai for unspecified reason and was soon recruited by Giant Baba to turn pro with All Japan Professional Wrestling Association. He is currently with NOAH group and is known as Akira Taue. "I'd certainly love to see him appear on the dohyo after the nakai-iri soon. Of course in the future at the Musubi, too," Taue commented on hearing the birth of new Kirin.

Both Oshiogawa and Kitajin oyakatas ascended to the Kirin throne when they were at the age of 20 years old. At the heya and around there has been quite a bit of interest with the talk of "who will be the next". It turned out it went to another 20 year old "growth stock".

"It's not a name we can simply give to anyone. In my heart I had a profound desire to give to someone with a bright future," said the shisho, who is reaching his mandatory retirement age at 65 in three years.

Suzukawa made his dohyo debut at the age of 15 at the 1999 Haru Basho. He was the last recruit the oyakata had acquired. "I got Tamakirin from 'Suikoden' (a Chinese tale of fun and adventure - there is also a Playstation game made by Konami). But for Suzukawa, it's a bit different," added the oyakata as he put his wish on "Wakakirin" to be the true inheritor.

A company that uses the two kanjis since Meiji Era is also showing interest. "If he can achieve success on the dohyo, it will be a good PR for us so we will certainly be following his progress with keen interest. Depending on his success we'd consider putting up the kensho as well," a Kirin Beer spokesman said.

Meanwhile Wakakirin's supporters club in his home town of Kawanishi City, Hyogo Prefecture, sent him a brand new Kesho mawashi depicting a wild Kirin. Everyone is already appeared to be looking forward to his performance on the Aki Basho dohyo equal to the legendary creature and shikona.

Since he has not actually sold it and this was his first charge, he will likely receive the same treatment as Wakanoho if he cooperates with the police.

So far some of the things he has stated are questionable, especially his initial statement that he obtained marijuana from a stranger (foreigner). The sole reason the police raided the CD music office was they have already arrested a part time clerk of the store of selling marijuana and they went to investigate the office for more evidence. The police suspects more than this man has been dealing with marijuana and other controlled substance at the store and office. It's likely Wakakirin obtained his at the office and used it as a place to smoke.

Wakakirn also stated it was only his second time he smoked marijuana but they consider he has been smoking it longer as he has been visiting the store longer and been there quite a few times.

Incidentally Wakakirin's father operates well known Japanese restaurant called Suzukawa in Hyogo Prefecture so once he is released from police custody, he will likely go back home and work for the restaurant if his father lets him.

Meanwhile the Kyokai directors believe they need to have another "surprise" testing done as soon as possible as they are coming under fire over their first testing results.

Edited by Jonosuke

Afte the last basho, Suzukawa made the Juryo promotion together with Hakurozan from Russia.

Hmmm, what an interesting coincidence...

"I wonder if there's a big risk of getting arrested..", wrote Wakakirin in a notebook that was confiscated by the police.

No excessive punishment was handed down today at the rijikai. "We apologize this has happened in our process of trying to better things.. We will do our best to prevent this from happening again", said an apologetic Musashigawa rijicho, hanging his head together with Kokonoe Oyakata at a press conference today. The press seemed to be disappointed that it was a"regular" dismissal that brings with it severance pay, and not something worse. "He's still young and has a chance at a fresh start so we felt sorry for him..He will probably be payed his retirement allowance", explained the rijicho. The press were also peeved by the fact that no high-ranking Kyokai members received any punishment (aside from Oguruma). When asked about this, Musashigawa angrily replied "We did say we will be thinking how to prevent this happening in the future..", to which the press replied that it was no real response.

Tom Doolies:

T-f-P20090202-musasigawa-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Wakakirin will remain in custody till the tenth, police sources revealed today. He was heavily guarded by 50 policemen, who stood opposite the 60- odd press people.. "This is quite rare", said a police department official.

To Moderators/Otokonoyama: I think this thread should be renamed, anything that has Wakakirin in it, as future references may be difficult..

Edited by Kintamayama

Not all Oyakata were happy with the rijikai decisions today. "If the punishment is the same as last time (dismissal, not expulsion), we will be criticized. It's also funny that there was no punishment (for those responsible). Aren't the ones at the top there so they can take responsibility?", asked Hakkaku Oyakata. "Well, that's the Sumo Kyokai for you..", added Shibatayama. OTOH, rijikai members Mihogaseki and Ooshima said "There's nothing to say", while Hanaregoma declined to comment.

Edited by Kintamayama

Jack Missouri the cartoonist, known by his pseudonym Yaku Mitsuru:

"I thought he was going to be expelled. I really don't see where there is place for consideration in this matter. I was surprised by that 'he's only 25' explanation!!"

Yaku at the press conference after today's Prevention convention meeting:

KFullFlash20090202132_l.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Unlike most here, I don't consider Mitsuru Yaku to be a pariah of some kind, but as an external member of the Prevention Committee, his job was to supposed to prevent exactly this kind of things from happening. Simply put, the work his committee did not prevent it and it further put Ozumo in abyss.

Yaku was always first and foremost voicing his opinion on Asashoryu's behavior and telling everyone that how the Kyokai was failing its job to stop disgrace, which was not really what his committee was supposed to be dealing with in the first place.

But now that the committee he is an integral part of it has failed miserably on its main task, he cannot deny his responsibility and say the Kyokai should have not just dismissed Wakakirin but should have expelled him (Jo-mei). The incident is a result of his committee's failure to prevent such a recurrence. The Kyokai did not need to take such an action if his committee has done a thorough job as Wakakirin had a questionable result at the doping test last September. The committee still has not tested another sekitori, Chiyohakuho who did not show up for the testing.

Unlike most here, I don't consider Mitsuru Yaku to be a pariah of some kind, but as an external member of the Prevention Committee, his job was to supposed to prevent exactly this kind of things from happening. Simply put, the work his committee did not prevent it and it further put Ozumo in abyss.

Yaku was always first and foremost voicing his opinion on Asashoryu's behavior and telling everyone that how the Kyokai was failing its job to stop disgrace, which was not really what his committee was supposed to be dealing with in the first place.

But now that the committee he is an integral part of it has failed miserably on its main task, he cannot deny his responsibility and say the Kyokai should have not just dismissed Wakakirin but should have expelled him (Jo-mei). The incident is a result of his committee's failure to prevent such a recurrence. The Kyokai did not need to take such an action if his committee has done a thorough job as Wakakirin had a questionable result at the doping test last September. The committee still has not tested another sekitori, Chiyohakuho who did not show up for the testing.

Judging from the picture, Yaku Mitsuru seems to be very casual guy (without a tie and with a hat at a very serious committee meeting)....in other words, not bound to protocols and customs necessarily.

Judging from the picture, Yaku Mitsuru seems to be very casual guy (without a tie and with a hat at a very serious committee meeting)....in other words, not bound to protocols and customs necessarily.

Yaku is a cartoonist--an artist. As such, he is dressed as an artist would in Japan.

Osamu Tezuka, known as the "Father of Anime," was never without his beret. Caricatures of him would always be identifiable because of the hat.

220px-Osamu_Tezuka.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing a picture of Akira Kurosawa, the renowned movie director, without a hat.

180px-Akira_Kurosawa.jpg

So you say Yaku should retire from his post?

Man...I will never understand that.

The one who smoked is responsible, maybe his Oyakata, but than that's it...how could any committee prevent anything that could be done privatly at a toilet for example...

So you say Yaku should retire from his post?

Man...I will never understand that.

The one who smoked is responsible, maybe his Oyakata, but than that's it...how could any committee prevent anything that could be done privatly at a toilet for example...

I'm probably in the minority here, but I find even the ubiquitous punishing of the shishos pretty dumb. Granted, when it's a clear-cut case of lack of guidance as it was with Magaki-oyakata (who didn't even know that Wakanoho was renting an apartment, let alone lots of other stuff), but guys like Otake and Oguruma - what are they supposed to do? Doesn't matter if e.g. Wakakirin was addicted or just stupid, you can only do so much to supervise a loose cannon, and even the sternest warnings will ring hollow after the 20th time. Short of barracking up any unmarried sekitori as though he was still a lowly jonidan (which would do wonders for ozumo's already lagging recruitment, of course...), I don't see what there is to do. Well, maybe forcefully retiring any guy you suspect of being a future potential PR disaster, but who's going to do that? Again, that might have worked 50 years ago when there was much less money in it both for the oyakata and the sekitori, but nowadays that's just not going to fly.

Just so that someone new here may not realize, the "current" Oshiogawa oyakata is former Wakatoba, not really responsible for Wakakirin's joining Ozumo nor his training initially.

Just so that someone new here may not realize, the "current" Oshiogawa oyakata is former Wakatoba, not really responsible for Wakakirin's joining Ozumo nor his training initially.

(Oops!)

Well, that puts my quoting of the 2004 post in a bit of a different light, in that ex-Wakatoba was not the Oshiogawa from the kirin line. But I think it might still provide a glimpse of how this might have hit the heya more than if it happened to a different rikishi. At least at one time, they apparently had extremely high hopes for soon-to-be-ex-Wakakirin.

Anyone ever hear why the 3rd of the kirin line left sumo so (apparently) unexpectedly?

Anyone ever hear why the 3rd of the kirin line left sumo so (apparently) unexpectedly?

The Japanese Wikipedia article on him mentions the usual, i.e. a falling out with his oyakata. It may have been a blessing in disguise for him anyway; Akira Taue became a pretty darn big name in puroresu (enough so that the name rang a bell with me in my mid-1990's pro-wrestling obsession even though I didn't care one bit about the Japanese side of it), probably much bigger than what a 25-year old juryo debutant could have expected in his first calling.