Sign in to follow this  
Otokonoyama

Reefer Madness engulfs Ozumo

What is it with these guys always freely admitting it's their stuff even when it's not actually found in their direct possession? Flabbergasting.

Yes, the musician knew what he was doing, denying everything. It's not mine, I don't know how it got here... blah blah blah. Probably not true but hey!

Wakanoho admitted it and was kicked out. I don't see how the Kyokai can do anything different this time.

Actually when the police entered the room (it was a room for visitors to the CD shop), they saw Wakakirin sitting on sofa and saw him throwing the tissue under the table. It looked highly suspicious so they checked it and found marijuana.

Wakakirin initially denied it was his but after an interrogation, he admitted he smoked it mixing it in cigar. He indicated he got it for his own personal use (meaning not selling).

Apparently this CD shop (and their office) has been "known" to the police for a while (remember the arrest was made by Kanagawa Prefecture Police, not Tokyo Minato Ward Police or Metropolitan Police) so the place must have been on their watch for sometime. The police must have known those going in and out of the place and they must have had a good idea there were some dealing going on either in the office or by individuals in the office.

The police indicated they have raided the office for separate case, another suspicion of illegal substance dealing so they must have been pretty certain that they would find something or someone connected if they searched the property or they would not have a search warrant issued to them.

All anyone can say is Wakakirin is dumber than everyone thinks he is. If I were Chiyohakuho I will try to keep myself as low key as possible right about now as he was another one who did not take the Kyokai's drug test and was identified by the Russian pair as highly suspicious.

Edited by Jonosuke

Actually when the police entered the room (it was a room for visitors to the CD shop), they saw Wakakirin sitting on sofa and saw him throwing the tissue under the table. It looked highly suspicious so they checked it and found marijuana.

Wakakirin initially denied it was his but after an interrogation, he admitted he smoked it mixing it in cigar. He indicated he got it for his own personal use (meaning not selling).

That at least sounds more plausible than Wakakirin simply admitting it belonged to him after they found it.

More whiffs:

Q: How do you explain about having a rikishi arrested for marijuana related charge while you are supposed to be engaging in an extensive prevention program?

Musashigawa oyakata: I'd like to ask myself where the cause was. We get this while we have been trying all we could to never have the same type of troubles ever again. I can only say I feel nothing but contempt.

Q: What will be your response to Wakakirkin?

M: Right now we do not yet have all the facts. Once they are known, then we will deal with it severely. We will be discussing it at our Directors meeting in all likelihood.

Q: Considering this is not the first such case, would your response be more severe?

M: It should, shouldn't it?

Q: Do you feel the Kyokai has not been taken this issue seriously?

M: I don't believe that is the case at all. I truly believe we have been working seriously to rid this type of problems once and for all. I'd sincerely like all of you to understand this.

Q: Are you planning to raise this at your regular Directors meeting to be held on February 2?

M: Once we have all the facts then we will more than likely discuss it.

Q: Anything you'd like to say to Wakakirin?

M: I can't even begin to find a word to describe how I feel. Just truly pitiful.

==========

Mitsuru Yaku, Kyokai's Prevention Committee member

----------------------------------------------------------------

"I wonder if we lacked thoroughness at the testing we did last September. Wakakirin's result was in the grey zone and I believe we have not pursued it thoroughly enough from that point on. However from then and to now and what we are facing today, I feel nothing but real contempt for Wakakirin. I have been sensing the respect towards Sumo by Japanese people is being lost but we are making our position worse by ourselves. The Kyokai has been seen as not dealing seriously with tough issues so we should start making punishments most extreme as we could. I don't think they will never be considered too tough in the current climate.

Tomozuna Oyakata, Prevention Committee Deputy Chairman

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's so deplorable. It's just unbelievable. Sekitori should be a model and leading by their example to all other rikishi and now we have this. It's a total lack of self-awareness. Obviously and justifiably our response should be extreme. He should have been reading recent news about people getting arrested for marijuana. I just can't fathom it. We'd have to consider more tough measures (for prevention).

Hiroshi Yamamoto, NHK Analyst, Prevention Committee outsider member

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's a deep shock considering how the three Russian rikishi have been ousted from the Kyokai after such toxic reaction. It's rather apparent that the positive test results (by Roho and Hakurozan) did not provide sufficient warnings to some. Once again we realize we need to emphasize our efforts in education and as committee we may have to consider more frequency of the testing and more thorough preventive measures.

Edited by Jonosuke

I forget, is the "no more severance pay for dismissed rikishi" rule change on the books yet?

If they were truly serious about pot, or any other substances of concern for that matter, they'd have unannounced testing of all sekitori x number of times a year, not to mention someone other than the oyakata in charge of the tests.

If my colleagues had just been busted for a specific offense that had serious implications, I sure as heck would be extraordinarily careful - not the cavalier attitude seemingly on display here. Postman or rikishi is irrespective.

I'm with you. I had an incident when I was 12 years old which scared me straight for the rest of my life. This guy saw what can happen and didn't seem to care. I've been noticing how dumb these guys are since their utter failure to be able to put their fists down before a fight (some guys, like Kakizoe, can do it, why not the others?). It's a pretty simple task. This incident will just add to my suspicions.

Anybody in sumo who is STILL smoking marijuana after this should be considered too dumb to live.

If they were truly serious about pot, or any other substances of concern for that matter, they'd have unannounced testing of all sekitori x number of times a year, not to mention someone other than the oyakata in charge of the tests.

I agree.

Why not test before each basho? What about the other, more serious performance enhancing drugs?

If they are really serious then do it...

If they don't, then it will happen again.

What is it with these guys always freely admitting it's their stuff even when it's not actually found in their direct possession? Flabbergasting.

I think this demonstrates a clear lack of in-depth knowledge of the Japanese mindset / way things work.

So many, so very many crims, accused individuals and the like cough as soon as they are picked up for the simple reason that a confessed crime, subsequent apology and the demonstration of remorse is the best way to avoid a heavy penalty. Gropers on the train are told to confess so they can go home. Otherwise up to 23 days in detention awaits.

Fail to apologise/confess/show remorse and the penalties will always be heavier. Tears help.

Look at the death penalty in Japan - kill one/tow folks and you'll likely get life (out in 20?). Generally more than 2 homicides will get you death as a mass killer. Only a few weeks ago a man that popped 5? 6? family members got life in prison. Balance that with the numerous cases where if you kill one person and steal a few yen - the gallows await.

Perhaps not as logical as someone like you would like but that is Japan.

Wakakirin would do well now to say gomen as many times as he can

Vaguely interesting about all this is that in three out of four cases it's happened to an oyakata who "inherited" a sekitori from somebody else. (Roho Taiho->Otake, Hakurozan Hatachiyama->Kitanoumi, now Wakakirin Oshiogawa->Oguruma.) Taiho-Otake is a special case, of course, but I do wonder if that's going to make oyakata think twice about taking in somebody else's charges with all their potential bad habits in the future.

Edit: BTW...lucky for the Kyokai that Toyozakura won on senshuraku (and that Wakakirin himself lost). Imagine the additional embarrassment if Wakakirin was in line to be promoted to makuuchi for the next basho...at least this way the likely banzuke hole will "only" be in juryo.

Edited by Asashosakari

Anybody in sumo who is STILL smoking marijuana after this should be considered too dumb to live.

And, of course, there is the possibility that he is addicted. Marijuana can be addictive, just like coffee, alcohol, sex and chocolate. I know a few people who cannot let a day go by without it. and when you are an addict, you don't really think too much.

Oguruma Oyakata has filed the retirement papers, after Wakakirin's arrest. The Kyokai will be convening on February the 2nd to confirm this. The Oyakata says Wakakirin had told his lawyer he wished to retire.

Edited by Kintamayama

Oguruma Oyakata announcing Wakakirin's retirement:

spf0901311439010-p3.jpg

spf0901311439010-p4.jpg

spf0901311439010-p5.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

(Sign of disapproval...) (Applauding...) Good grief. Better out of the sport to be honest.

Oguruma Oyakata announcing the retirement:

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding here: Oguruma himself retired?

Oguruma Oyakata announcing the retirement:

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding here: Oguruma himself retired?

No, Wakairin's retirement only. At least, for now..

Thanks for clearing that up! I too wondered if it was Oguruma's retirement.

Whoever said anyone still doing pot now is stupid has my vote as well!!!!!

And, of course, there is the possibility that he is addicted. Marijuana can be addictive, just like coffee, alcohol, sex and chocolate. I know a few people who cannot let a day go by without it. and when you are an addict, you don't really think too much.

I'm learning about addictions, as they are directly touching my family at the moment. I believe they can be overcome with sufficient willpower. People do it all the time. And anybody in sumo who is currently addicted to marijuana needs to gather up the appropriate willpower in a serious hurry.

(On a scientific note, recent research suggests that marijuana is one of the least addictive of the illegal drugs, and less addictive than alcohol or tobacco, which of course, are both legal.)

I'm learning about addictions, as they are directly touching my family at the moment. I believe they can be overcome with sufficient willpower. People do it all the time. And anybody in sumo who is currently addicted to marijuana needs to gather up the appropriate willpower in a serious hurry.

(On a scientific note, recent research suggests that marijuana is one of the least addictive of the illegal drugs, and less addictive than alcohol or tobacco, which of course, are both legal.)

I understand that Wakakirin had suffered a knee injury a few years ago.Maybe the marijuana helped ease the pain. (Sign of disapproval...)

Maybe on one level I'm trying to excuse his stupidity.That is one possibility however....

Edited by hidenohana

Gee,

Turn on the news every night and it is reefer madness!!!

Ogurma Oyakata sweating on TV a minute ago & now Wakakirin and pics of the Russians and the casters saying this news is just too bad!

On a more scientific note, nicotine is way, Way, WAY more addictive than alcohol. In fact nicotine is right up there with cocaine though not quite as bad as heroin. I used to be a smoker and it was really, really tough to quit, took me 8 tries over years. I enjoy drinking however it has never been a problem; there was never a time that I was drinking because I needed a drink though I know that drugs affect people in different ways and some people's bodies are more susceptible, it seems, to getting addicted to some drugs.

Whether or not marijane is addictive, it sure seems to be habit forming. People who use it use it a lot (I don't mean the occasional party users, people who buy it for themselves tend to use it frequently).

Cannabis is not in the same league with nicotine, heroin-family drugs or cocaine/amphetamine when it comes to harmfulness or addictive power on average. It doesn't surprise me that rikishi are not that much in favour of so called healthy lifestyle. Wakakirin smoking despite the previous Wakanoho and Russians-thingie isn't that odd. It is not so much a matter of stupidity but probably just ignorance to think about the consequences and estimating the risk of getting caught low. Smoking cannabis is not good for you but the laws in Japan concerning it are definitely not good for you. There are bound to be dozens of rikishi with personality disorders including narcissistic and asocial and these types don't really care that much about rules, especially the asocial ones.

If rikishi follows the ideal sumodou, he probably shouldn't engage into actions indicating lack of self-discipline that don't have positive impact in his rikishi growth. If one follows the ideal of physical and mental development into a great rikishi (or any other athlete), that takes full devotion too. There are often comments about some talented rikishi that "they don't take it seriously enough" and that leads to lack of ambition and lack of desire to do really heavy duty keiko. Then sometimes there are also rikishi who devote themselves to keiko and refining themselves AND can also indulge in having sex with all women (or men) in the vicinity, having many lovers in addition to career wife at home, drinking themselves to twilight zone twice a week, overeating all sorts of food and whatever extra-curriculal activities one could think of including whatever one could imagine.

Kyokai seems quite simple. "mae ni deru, dechatta kekkon ha dame, hisshi ni". Many oyakata seem very simple. Some of the decisions or "this is what we say so the spotlight may go away"-announcements or the extremely nai'ivity at occasions may reflect the lack of brain in Kyokai or a combination of admittedly cultural difference of making deep bow apologies with tears and all "we are sorry for all the troubles we have caused" when one rikishi is caught smoking cannabis + the lack of brain.

Kyokai who has totalitarian power over rikishi shouldn't have any problems implementing all so called "we are arranging stuff to see how it should be implemented"-related actions. Yet they fiddle with things like morons. The problems of arranging surprise testing for performance enhancing substances are next to non-existent. Same for urine samples where main drugs can be screened easily from one sample. Cost is not that much. These bloody committees that are set up when some "scandal" comes are dumb.

What is it that so difficult in this:

1. Make a decision in Kyokai that surprise urine testing to test the use of cannabis, buprenorphine, heroin, amphetamine etc will be conducted at any time from anyone and refusal leads to punishments.

2. Same thing for steroids, growth hormone etc.

3. Appoint 2-3 contact persons for rikishi where they can report excessive violence in some heya

Then, what is so difficult in this heya by heya:

1. The oyakata actually trains the rikishi and puts pressure on sekitori too AND makes them work as hard as makushita rikishi if they don't perform well with their chosen amount of keiko. It is their job....

World has a lot of nice stuff and is also full of shit and so are societies. Things are complicated when they shouldn't be. Good keiko atmosphere and lack of lazy bums at keiko are the core essence of good keiko for both sekitori and lower ranked rikishi.

Madness is to let stupidity and lack of passion to spoil sumo. Lazyness gives ground to yaochou, stupidity gives grounds to any imaginable abomination. Lazyness+stupidity leads to decadence.

In any case, human being wants enjoyment. Sex, cannabis, good food, alcohol, dancing, sleeping, exercising targeted violence towards a weaker foe at keiko (especially the personality disorder rikishi) just for one's own pleasure, these all are big part of sumo for sure. It is a strange puppet theatre when things like cannabis incident happen and papers are all over it and Kyokai cries, oyakata cries and harsh words come and it is all a big puppet theathre.

This is off-topic.

I do wonder where Wakakirin practises his mean face slapping habit in the future now since he is so young and all. He really slapped in nasty ways. It is amazing he was never killed by some foe who got erratically pissed at Wakakirin's sumo and got into super advantageous position.

Pot is legally and culturally unacceptable while alcohol is legal (when of the correct age) and part of both sumo and overall Japanese culture and most cultures in the world. That's really all there is to it.