Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

Edit

It all depends on Asa's elbow i think......he seemed to aggravate the injury in yesterdays bout.....I'm with you its between the two Yokozuna.....noone else has looked anywhere as consistent....

It all depends on Asa's elbow i think......he seemed to aggravate the injury in yesterdays bout...

or he could be playing mind games too....letting people think he aggravated it....

It all depends on Asa's elbow i think......he seemed to aggravate the injury in yesterdays bout...

or he could be playing mind games too....letting people think he aggravated it....

Nah...I think his reaction was too soon after the bout to be a show. If anything, he's playing mind games letting people think he is alright (per his post match comments)

I don't think that there is any clear favorite now, but it's Asashoryu's basho to lose at this point, so if forced to choose I'll go with him.

When in doubt, always consider the 'kabuki' factor..... The kabuki factor says... Asashoryu!!!!

I would be very happy if he did win it - despite it proving me very wrong in my predictions for him for this year.

Edited by Jejima

When in doubt, always consider the 'kabuki' factor..... The kabuki factor says... Asashoryu!!!!

Sorry, couldn't find the Kabuki Factor in the archive...

Coluld you explain this, please?

Kabuki refers to this. But I think the 'kabuki factor' was a term used a few years back on the sumo mailing list - but I cannot remember who started it (Neener, neener...)

But basically, it means, what would happen if this were a drama? (I.e what would be the fairy-tale ending?) The theory is, that if in doubt, this is what will happen in Ozumo.

I would guess that in such a case, Asashoryu would be the yusho winner.

Edited by Jejima

Kabuki refers to this. But I think the 'kabuki factor' was a term used a few years back on the sumo mailing list - but I cannot remember who started it (Being ninja...)

But basically, it means, what would happen if this were a drama? (I.e what would be the fairy-tale ending?) The theory is, that if in doubt, this is what will happen in Ozumo.

I would guess that in such a case, Asashoryu would be the yusho winner.

Thanks. Got it.

Hmmm..

In line with this thinking, I wonder how the Ozeki results may be referred to, then. (Neener, neener...)

The first mention of the "Kabuki Factor" on the SML was by Peroginishiki in (what else?) a discussion about yaocho on October 6th, 1999. It was picked up by Doitsuyama in a hoshitori game commentary about then Yokozuna Peroginishiki on November 16th. Peroginishiki elaborated on the reasons for his success, including the Kabuki factor on November 18th, 1999. This was picked up on in a banzuke prediction by Akinomaki later that day. Joe Petrow picked it up as a thread title the next day. It was then immortalized in Kintaro's Day 13 Musings ... I miss the musings ... That basho ended up having a lot of discussion about the Kabuki factor. For a more complete picture, try this Google search.

[Edited to move the first mention a few days earlier 18Nov->16Nov99]

[Edited to move the first mention even earlyer 16Nov->6Oct99]

Edited by Kofuji

Asashoryu will take this yusho. He is in top form, and his left elbow looks fully functional. Not only will he win, he will complete a zensho-yusho, silencing those who thought he was washed up.

..... (I.e what would be the fairy-tale ending?) ....

Then I would have wished of Tochiozan winning the yusho.... (Applauding...)

I also want to know what that secret stuff taken by Gengis Khans soldiers that he mentioned is.

Any fan of Super Chicken knows the answer to that one:

new-s012.jpg

..... (I.e what would be the fairy-tale ending?) ....

Then I would have wished of Tochiozan winning the yusho.... (Applauding...)

That fairy-tale happened back in March 2000.