Sign in to follow this  
madorosumaru

New Recruits for Haru 2009

Haru Basho is the big recruiting time for ozumo and the reports of new deshi are coming in.

Naoya Sakabe from South Awaji City in Hyogo Prefecture has declared his intention to join Naruto Beya. The 15-year-old will be graduating from middle school, where he was the captain of the sumo team that won a prefectural tournament. The young prospect is 174 cm tall and weighs 75 kg. He has a strong lower body and his forte is the uwate-nage.

He has always liked sumo and participated in local peewee tournaments when he was in primary school. "I started doing sumo because it has a clear winner and loser," he said. When he entered middle school, he took up the sport seriously and became the mainstay of the school team.

He was considering going to a high school known for sumo, but a chance meeting with Naruto Oyakata convinced him to take a different path. After observing the boy at the local sumo dojo, the oyakata asked if he would like to join the heya. Sakabe-kun, being a firm believer of taking advantage when opportunity knocks, made the decision to go pro.

A local politician who is also active with the dojo said, "Naoya is tough and has great perseverance. He still lacks experience but I believe he has tremendous growth potential."

His coach at middle school concurs, "He never missed keiko even when he was hurt. He will be joining an extremely rigorous world. I hope he will remain tough and stick it through."

The mayor of the city said, "All of us want him to gambarize and become 'The Shining Star of South Awaji.'"

As for the young man, he has the wish of all new deshi, "I will endure all hardship and do keiko diligently so that I could become a sekitori."

Sakabe-kun with his coach.

01654628rs6.jpg

The sun rises and the sun sets. No, I am not talking about Harumafuji. As Katayama, a Senshu U. grad leaves ozumo, another Senshu product takes his place.

It has been reported that Giichi Arikawa (有川義一) has dropped out of college and will be taking the secondary shin-deshi test for Haru Basho. In fact, the young man has been living at Matsugane Beya since September, getting accustomed to ozumo life and doing keiko with the pros. Arikawa was a sumo standout at Shonan High School in Kagoshima, the same school that his new shisho attended. Shonan High is a private institution that excels in a variety of sports. While there, Arikawa took second place in the 95-115 kg class in the all-prefecture high school tournament.

His role model is the similarly vertically-challenged Toyonoshima, who had taken the secondary test and made it all the way to sanyaku. "I want to be like Toyonoshima-zeki, who does the kind of sumo that his opponents hate." Yep, the little pest. As Bruce Willis said in "Die Hard," ". . . [J]ust a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the [rear]."

Oh, my. Another recruit for Takanohana Beya.

Fifteen-year-old Kenya Yokoyama 横山賢也 from Saitama Prefecture will be joining Takanohana Beya. He is 173 cm tall and weighs 115 kg. He was the captain of the Kusaka Middle School sumo team that won the group division of the Saitama Prefecture Tournament two years in a row. When he was in elementary school, he was a member of a peewee sumo team that was national champion.

Young Kenya told the press, "I am really happy that someone as awesome as Takanohana Oyakata wants me [for his heya]. It is my goal to become a strong rikishi like the oyakata."

As for the oyakata, he had this to say: "Yokoyama has his head solidly on his shoulders. I would like to develop him into the kind of rikishi that would please our heya supporters."

takayl0.jpg

Oh, my. Another recruit for Takanohana Beya.

takayl0.jpg

(In a state of confusion...) Good to hear, although I slowly lose track with all these new boys (Blushing...).

One new and one old has gone. It seems Fusanohana has gone intai.

It seems Fusanohana has gone intai.

Say it ain't so... (In a state of confusion...)

Tokitsukaze-beya will be having its first new recruit since the Tokitaizan incident a year and a half ago. Masaru? Takahashi 高橋賢, a third-year student at Miyagi Agricultural High, was introduced to the oyakata last autumn and accepted as a deshi in October. If all goes as planned he'll be starting to live and train with the stable still this month.

Hakkaku Oyakata went to Hokkaido to pick up a new deshi. He is 15-year-old Ryochi (or Yoshitomo) Sakurai 桜井良知 from Tsurui Middle School. Young Sakurai is 185 cm tall and weighs 86 kg. The oyakata said, "He is still growing. He has a lot of potential."

The shisho added, "He is an earnest kid with a solid foundation. After he joins, we will develop him under strict guidance."

At a press conference at the mayor's office, the boy said, "I will listen to what the oyakata says and do my utmost to become a strong rikishi." The mayor told him, "Keiko is the most important thing. We all hope you will become a rikishi we can be proud of."

After the visit to City Hall, the recruit and the shisho went to the school where Sakurai-kun had his last school lunch and was sent off with encouragements from the entire student body.

sakuraise9.jpg

For the first time since the introduction of the second-tier ( guys that didn't meet the criteria of 1.73/75) there are less than 10 applicants in the second tier. 4, to be exact. Last year there were 17, and the lowest number till now was in 2002- 11. Now everyone is waiting to see the number of all recruits- the last three years were 87, 97 and 92.

Now everyone is waiting to see the number of all recruits- the last three years were 87, 97 and 92.

That's for the full years though...Haru itself had 59, 73 and 68.

Now everyone is waiting to see the number of all recruits- the last three years were 87, 97 and 92.

That's for the full years though...Haru itself had 59, 73 and 68.

Sorry, I thought it was clear- "all recruits" should have been ALL recruits".. I thought "last three years" and not "last three harus" was sufficient..

But enough of the excuses..

Edited by Kintamayama

Sorry, I thought it was clear- "all recruits" should have been ALL recruits"..

Well, yeah, I just naturally assumed they must be talking about Haru only because I didn't expect them to be waiting until November. (In a state of confusion...) Though I guess we can just add the usual 10-15 additional recruits for the remaining four tournaments.

Edited by Asashosakari

Tokitsukaze-beya will be having its first new recruit since the Tokitaizan incident a year and a half ago. Masaru? Takahashi 高橋賢, a third-year student at Miyagi Agricultural High, was introduced to the oyakata last autumn and accepted as a deshi in October. If all goes as planned he'll be starting to live and train with the stable still this month.

Takahashi was referred to the heya by an alumnus of Tokyo University of Agriculture, alma mater of Tokitsukaze Oyakata. According to the shisho, the parents of the boy have total trust in the new regime at Tokitsukaze, telling him, "We are not concerned at all about the [Tokitaizan] Incident."

Tokitsukaze added, "For a while, I was worried that nobody would want to join the heya. I am really happy about this. We will be teaching him both sumo and proper behavior."

For the first time since the introduction of the second-tier ( guys that didn't meet the criteria of 1.73/75) there are less than 10 applicants in the second tier. 4, to be exact.

Only 3 passed the initial tests.

15-year-old Riku Watabe 渡部陸 from Akita Prefecture will be joining Sadogatake Beya. He is 174 cm tall and weighs 134 kg. He started doing sumo as a fourth grader and likes to use his heft in oshi style sumo. His role model is Ozeki Chiyotaikai. "I really like his tsuppari attack," said young Watabe.

Riku quite by accident ran into Kotooshu at a highway rest stop on his way back from an out-of-town tournament. The ozeki, who was headed to jungyo in Akita, told his oyakata about meeting an interesting prospect. Sadogatake later visited the family and now the boy plans to take the new deshi test in early March and begin mae-zumo in Osaka Basho.

The other day, a going-away event was held for him at his junior high school. The principal spoke on behalf of all his local supporters, "If you do all the basic things diligently, one day you will find that you will have the special strength necessary for success. We hope you will persevere so that you can grab hold of your dream. We are all praying for your success."

Watabe-kun told his gathered friends, "It will be sad to leave all of you, but I am excited about appearing on the dream stage [of Ozumo]."

After saying good-bye, the boy and his shisho, Sadogatake Oyakata, went to the City Hall for a meeting with the mayor.

20090218l22.jpg

Edited by madorosumaru

Another Takanohana recruit- 1.67/98 kilos, 16 years old. "There are small but strong rikishi around-I'd like to be strong enough to make people remember my name", said Moritomo Takashi ?( 森友太) In school he made the top 16 in Judo at a Tokyo tournament and later was a member of the Rugby team. He left school last September but kept his interest in sports. He was introduced to Takanohana in the second half of February,and the rest, as they say, is mystery. "The important thing in Sumo is spirit. The minute we met, he said he will follow me .." added Takanohana himself.

Edited by Kintamayama

Haru Basho is the big recruiting time for ozumo and the reports of new deshi are coming in.

The cut-off for applicants to undergo the shin-deshi tests for Haru Basho closed on Thursday 5th March, and there were 41 applicants. This is the lowest number for Haru Basho since the entry qualification was set at "those who have finished compulsory education" in 1973.

The influence of the drug problems and the Tokitaizan affair are apparent, even though Tokitsukaze-beya had their first recruit in the 18 months since the event. The tests will take place on Saturday 7th March at the Osaka Police Hospital.

Edited by Sasanishiki

And right on the heels of a surprisingly large Hatsu basho class...odd recruiting year so far.

Hakkaku Oyakata went to Hokkaido to pick up a new deshi. He is 15-year-old Ryochi (or Yoshitomo) Sakurai 桜井良知 from Tsurui Middle School. Young Sakurai is 185 cm tall and weighs 86 kg. The oyakata said, "He is still growing. He has a lot of potential."

The shisho added, "He is an earnest kid with a solid foundation. After he joins, we will develop him under strict guidance."

At a press conference at the mayor's office, the boy said, "I will listen to what the oyakata says and do my utmost to become a strong rikishi." The mayor told him, "Keiko is the most important thing. We all hope you will become a rikishi we can be proud of."

After the visit to City Hall, the recruit and the shisho went to the school where Sakurai-kun had his last school lunch and was sent off with encouragements from the entire student body.

Woah (Holiday feeling...)

How tall might he grow?

I have seen some very very tall young japanese men, but 1,85 with 15??

I am glad he joined Hakkaku. One of the nicest places to be with a very kind Shisho.

He won't run away. Great potential is in save hands. (Sign of approval...)

I wonder what the crisis will do to Sumo...I mean, the scandals had a bad influence, but joining a Heya as a place you get to eat and can live without paying rent...maybe the number of Shindeshi could rise...

Any comments on the time of bubble economy?

(I am not finished yet doing the statistics but I will find out soon...)

Edited by ilovesumo

Another Takanohana recruit- 1.67/98 kilos, 16 years old. "There are small but strong rikishi around-I'd like to be strong enough to make people remember my name", said Moritomo Takashi ?( 森友太) In school he made the top 16 in Judo at a Tokyo tournament and later was a member of the Rugby team.

Back in da hood:

KFullNormal20090301135_l.jpg

BTW, I think the middle kanji is part of the given name and we're having ourselves yet another Mori here...there are some judo results online that have a 森 友太, but no 森友 太.

Edit: BTW again, Mainichi says he'll be starting in Natsu, not Haru, presumably because he already missed the secondary deadline.

Edited by Asashosakari

From a few weeks ago (kid's 180 cm / 85 kg, BTW):

PN2009021801000761.-.-.CI0003.jpg

Edited by Asashosakari

Oh man...new Tokitsukaze looks strange without mage...most people look nice without it, but he...I can't help but missing the Mage while looking at his pic...

Found another one: According to a small blurb posted way back on Feb 5th, Onomatsu-beya has recruited 18-year-old Shuta? Suekawa 末川秀太, recently graduated from Kagoshima Commercial High School. He's from Ebino-shi in nearby Miyazaki prefecture and will apparently be the first rikishi from that city in some 50 years.

20090205-1233811060.jpg