Sign in to follow this  
Fukurou

Toyonoshima

In the first 5 days, M1E Toyonoshima is 4-1, having beaten all 4 Ozeki and losing to the Yokozuna.

Assuming KK, is a prize pretty much guaranteed at this point?

If so, which prize(s) would it be?

A pointer to the requirements for the various prizes would be helpful - what criteria (besides KK) is used to determine which prize is (or is not) awarded?

Well, the way I see it, the requirements for the prizes are kinda like this:

Shukunsho: defeating the yusho winner or a Yokozuna or a large number of Ozeki.

Kantosho: getting a good record (at least 10 wins) upon debut in a rank, or a very good record in a familiar rank (11-12 or more)

Ginosho: showing solid and diversified technique over the course of the basho (and, of course, posting a good record).

The men in black have their own obscure criteria for awarding those prizes, but generally the deciding factor is the record.

As for Toyonoshima, his prize is by no means guaranteed. 9-6 won't get him anything unless he wins by some wildly sensational kimarite.

Edited by Sokkenaiyama

mini-Kaio is the one to follow for me when Kaiho cuts the oicho. (Besides Hoshihikari and Daiyubu of course)

the guy is doing everything perfect for someone his size. i bow with outmost respect to him .

Well, the way I see it, the requirements for the prizes are kinda like this:

Shukunsho: defeating the yusho winner or a Yokozuna or a large number of Ozeki.

Kantosho: getting a good record (at least 10 wins) upon debut in a rank, or a very good record in a familiar rank (11-12 or more)

Ginosho: showing solid and diversified technique over the course of the basho (and, of course, posting a good record).

The men in black have their own obscure criteria for awarding those prizes, but generally the deciding factor is the record.

As for Toyonoshima, his prize is by no means guaranteed. 9-6 won't get him anything unless he wins by some wildly sensational kimarite.

That is I think as close as you can come to describing the criteria, besides 2 small things:

- 'diversified' above is maybe ideal for ginsosho but certainly not required

- and men in black seems to reference shimpan, but as far as I remember the reporters' votes have equal weight and there may even be more of them?

As for Toyo's performance. I believe he will be on track for the Shukunsho with 9 wins. I'd even give him a fair shot of earning it with only 8 (20%). Quality wins of course to merit that but no special kimarite needed. 10 wins would make it a lock in my book.

Edited by kaiguma

A group, consisting of senior sumo reporters and members of the Kyokai judging department, meets on senshuraku to determine the awards for the basho. The following posts describe the process involved.

Sansho Deliberations - Nagoya 2007

Sansho Deliberations - Aki 2007

Thank you for the links.

However, what *is* a "qualitatively magnificent" win? Or a "splendid performance"? Or a "commendable manner"? (all mentioned in the Aki 2007 deliberations link) Some of the comments give me the impression that there really isn't any set criteria for the awards, and that it's all quite subjective ("eye of the beholder"/"I know it when I see it"-ish). What one man thinks of as a "spendid performance" may be "only what's expected/business as usual" to another. Perhaps the MIB's "obscure criteria" (as Sokkenaiyama put it) is that "style points" count?

But other comments, such as about rewarding a rikishi who did well after a 2 year injury absence, make sense to me.

I dunno, that's why I'm asking. I dunno why I'm even trying to figure it out - this is Japan after all, and I have little luck trying to figure out why many things are done the way they are there.

Edited by Fukurou

Well, I'm still in the dark about the criteria. They may be strict, but they remain cryptic.

And back to Toyonoshima, the sorry bunch of Ozeki he beat can hardly qualify as Shukunsho material. I still say he needs at least 10 for that.

Edited by Sokkenaiyama

Here is an exchange involving contemporaries Takamisakari, Wakanosato and newly promoted maegashira Bushuyama:

Moderator: Wakanosato-zeki and Takamisakari-zeki both won the Kanto-sho in their respective debut basho with 10 wins each.

Wakanosato: Yeah. That's right. In that case, Bushu-zeki has got to win one, too.

Bushuyama: You can't win a Kanto-sho these days with only 10 wins.

M: Bushu-zeki is a late-blooming hero so maybe he can get one [with 10 wins].

W: Yep. That's true. Maybe, he can receive one with seven wins.

Takamisakari: C'mon. There is no way he can get one with seven.

B: Gee, That would be nice. I'd like to get one with only seven wins. (laugh)

W: There should be no problem. Look. Takami and I were able to do it. That's an order, Bushu! If you don't win it, we won't let you join the Aomori Alumni Club. (laugh)

Edited by madorosumaru

Granted that this basho's Ozeki are hardly worth their salt, even Mickey only has 3 out of 5 wins so far however comma, Toyonoshima has faced all 4 and the only extant Yokozuna and come out if it with 4 wins and a heart murmur for Hakuho. His only real competitor at this point for Shukun sho is Aminishiki who, so far has 1 Yokozuna and 2 Ozeki under his belt. It has been my impression over the last couple of years at least that Shukun Sho has become almost exclusively a Yokozuna topplers club with the single inexplicable exception of Natsu '08 in which Aminishiki was awarded his 3rd Shukun Sho after a 10-5 performance from M4W but defeating only 2 Ozeki and 1 Komosubi in the process. So I am thinking that without a Yokozuna scalp on his belt he would need at least 10 wins to be considered. Since Aminishiki has the aforementioned scalp he would be a shoo-in if he achieves KK but if Toyo should get 10 or 11 he could be a co-winner as well.

It has been my impression over the last couple of years at least that Shukun Sho has become almost exclusively a Yokozuna topplers club with the single inexplicable exception of Natsu '08 in which Aminishiki was awarded his 3rd Shukun Sho after a 10-5 performance from M4W but defeating only 2 Ozeki and 1 Komosubi in the process.
That's explained by the fact that Kotooshu won that yusho, and Aminishiki beat him...

The time Takatoriki won the yusho from M14 he won the shukun-sho as well as the two people who beat him were yokozuna.

Edited by Zeokage

It has been my impression over the last couple of years at least that Shukun Sho has become almost exclusively a Yokozuna topplers club with the single inexplicable exception of Natsu '08 in which Aminishiki was awarded his 3rd Shukun Sho after a 10-5 performance from M4W but defeating only 2 Ozeki and 1 Komosubi in the process.
That's explained by the fact that Kotooshu won that yusho, and Aminishiki beat him...

You are exactly right, I had forgottent about the Bulgarian aberration. Thanks!

Today Baruto cast a humble "no" to Toyonoshima prize request... (Sorry :) )

On the other hand, today's victory against Dejima can be described in one word: solid.

Dejima is by no means small, but to my eyes, Toyonoshima completely overpowered him.