Sign in to follow this  
JAB

Purchase of Mawashi

Anyone have a line on affordable Mawashi's? I noticed the Cali Sumo group has them, but they are like $80!! Or is that par for the course?

Thanks

Jake

For amateur sumo you'd be wanting a Type 2, so at almost 6000 yen I'd say that $80 is not too bad a deal. I think we had a really old thread about contacting Sanpuku which said that although the website is in English that does not mean they have an English speaker around to take orders. They probably also ship only in Japan - certainly the costs would be up there if they shipped internationally as 6m of mawashi is reasonably heavy. looks like you might need a Japan-based forum member to give you a quote on the costs of shipping (as well as probably doing the ordering for you so that they can ship to a Japanese address).

If $80 seems like a lot, just compare it by weight to gear for any other sport...

speedo, cap, and goggles?

spandex biking shorts and a decent helmet?

and then move on to more specialized gear:

*soccer cleats, shinguards, jersey, and umbros (or whatever people wear these days)

*skis, snow-wear, and visor

*full fencing-gear? fugheddaboutit

now that I think of it, just a pair of decent basketball sneakers is over $100.

or even a decent pair of regulation weight training-quality boxing gloves?

With no footwear and bintsuke optional, I daresay the $80.00 mawashi ranks pretty low across the board.

EDIT: does the California outfitter supply childrens' mawashi? At what age or weight is it practical to purchase one?

(main concern being the length of practical use)

Edited by kaiguma

Here is an interesting address:

http://www.sklep.espadon.pl/index.php?page...1&Itemid=62

This company is in Poland and they were advertising during the europeen championships last june.

On the ads we received they were selling mawashi for 45 Euros.

The link shows that they sell sumo mats but as I am not fluent in Polish I haven't found the mawashi on their web site. maybe a mail to them will get more information.

CH-rikishi

Obviously COMPARED to other sports $80 is minimal. I was just thinking.... it is a stinkin' bolt of cloth! Seems a bit much for some cloth is all. Thats all. Just wondering if there were other options.

Thanks

Jake

Obviously COMPARED to other sports $80 is minimal. I was just thinking.... it is a stinkin' bolt of cloth! Seems a bit much for some cloth is all. Thats all. Just wondering if there were other options.

Thanks

Jake

Our local fabric shop has some bolts of lovely paisley print cotton cloth on sale this week. :-)

Only if it is pink :-)

BTW speaking of mawashi's, in regards to Rikishii is it signifigant that they wear white or black?

Thanks

Jake

BTW speaking of mawashi's, in regards to Rikishii is it signifigant that they wear white or black?

Oh c'mon, give us a break already! You wouldn't even start asking that question if You didn't know! :-)

Man you guys do not cut a brother ANY freakin' slack! In all honesty, I have no clue. My apologies if it is a silly question, but I am ignorant of the answer.

Thanks for anyone who actually wants to answer.

Jake

Man you guys do not cut a brother ANY freakin' slack! In all honesty, I have no clue. My apologies if it is a silly question, but I am ignorant of the answer.

Thanks for anyone who actually wants to answer.

Jake

Any color goes, Jake, except white, which is a practice mawashi for sekitori. Actually, some rule says dark, but it's not adhered to. Black is usually a sign of seriousness. Asashouryuu the man himself went with gold for a while.

Thank you sir.

Are they allowed to have prints on them, or patches? What about in amateur sumo, same rules?

Thanks

Jake

Thank you sir.

Are they allowed to have prints on them, or patches? What about in amateur sumo, same rules?

Thanks

Jake

No prints, no nothing, and that IS adhered to. As for amateurs, usually white, but I've seen red and other colors here and there, and a lot of short pants hiding hairy asses under the mawashi too. But the amateur mawashi question should be better answered by our real rikishi, not by finger-rikishi like me.

Thank you sir.

Thanks

Jake

No prints, no nothing, and that IS adhered to. As for amateurs, usually white, but I've seen red and other colors here and there, and a lot of short pants hiding hairy asses under the mawashi too. But the amateur mawashi question should be better answered by our real rikishi, not by finger-rikishi like me.

Well, for starters, the pants that get worn underneath (like bike pants) are only supposed to be black. The japanese refer to them as 'spats'. The amateur mawashi can be various colours, though they are always only bold colours (no stripes, spots, etc). A 'zekken' or country tag can be worn at the front, and it gets pushed into the folds of the mawashi. Similar tags of cloth to indicate sponsors, etc are also allowed to be used.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a mawashi simply a very long piece of canvas material? If so, can't it be purchased at most fabric stores?

I've tried to source canvas that might be suitable for mawashi but the places I have tried (industrial suppliers of fabrics) have not had anything remotely similar. In particular, the mawashi material is far thicker than any of the products they held for commercial use.

isn't a mawashi simply a very long piece of canvas material?

Yes

If so, can't it be purchased at most fabric stores?

No

Why not Nishinoshima?

Martaaa, that is a pretty cool looking mawashi. It is certain to get you noticed (Lifting weights...)

Yeeeeeeee I know :) In last week in Poland we have a little tournament... I was a star with this Mawashi... Everybody ask me how I do it PINK :):) hehehe (Lifting weights...)

Why not Nishinoshima?

For the reason Sasanishiki mentioned.

A mawashi is indeed "just canvas" as diamonds and graphite are both "just carbon".

(Exercising...)

I see.Cheers

(Lifting weights...)

Can i revive this 5 years old topic by asking if someone from Europe did actually managed to order from e-sanpuku? I have no issue with the price and the delivery tax, what i want is the good quality of the mawashi. I checked the polish company, but to me their mawashi looks soft, we have allot of mawashis like this in the gym and i prefer the thicker and tougher one. Our trainer and few other guys that were in Japan several times have different mawashi, thicker, heavier and from different material.

On their website they have only FAX and Phone, why they wont put emails its my amusement, but i am 100% sure they wont speak english too, do i need to learn japanesse to buy a nice mawashi from Japan :D