Sign in to follow this  
Sasanishiki

2008 Kyushu Banzuke announcement

From Jiji Press:

Baruto at sekiwake, Goeido at komusubi - Ama is on an ozeki promotion run

The Nihon Sumo Kyokai announced on the 27th the banzuke for the upcoming Kyushu basho to be held in Fukuoka from Nov. 9th. Baruto has been promoted to sekiwake and Goeido to komusubi, both for the first time. East sekiwake Ama is also challenging for a promotion to ozeki.

In the yokozuna ranks, Hakuho who has won the past three tournaments is east yokozuna, while Asashoryu is on the west side. In the ozeki ranks, Kaio is at ozeki for his 50th basho, which ranks him second all-tim behind Takanohana I. It is also Kaio's 91st basho in Makuuchi, which means he holds second place all-time.

Estonian Baruto got a kachikoshi last basho as a new komusubi and is ranked at west sekiwake for this tournament. Ama is at sekiwake for the sixth tournament in a row. It has taken east komusubi Goeido 24 basho since his hatsu dohyo to make sanyaku, which is the 10th fastest since the 6 basho a year schedule came into place (this excludes those who started with makushita tsukedashi status). Aminishiki returns to the west komusubi spot.

New to makuuchi are Bushuyama and Aran. Bushuyama is a product of Daitou University, and at 32 years and 5 months old is the 4th oldest new promotee to makuuchi. Russian Aran has taken 12 basho to reach makuuchi, which equals Kotooshu as the fastest rise from the bottom in the 6 basho system. Koryu, Kasuganishiki and Tosanoumi all return to makuuchi.

The 3 new juryo rikishi are Isenouni-beya's Yotsuguruma, Musashigawa-beya's Mongolian Shotenro and Oitekaze-beya's Daishouumi, who was formerly Mori. Wakakoyu, Tamaasuka and Sakaigawa all return to juryo.

In the ozeki ranks, Kaio is at ozeki for his 50th basho, which ranks him second all-time behind Takanohana I. It is also Kaio's 91st basho in Makuuchi, which means he holds second place all-time.

Kaio is tied with Takanohana I at 50. Chiyotaikai is first with the 59th basho at ozeki now. I am also not sure what to make of the other stat as I have Takamiyama at first with 97 makuuchi basho ahead of Terao at 93. Kaio is third, tied with Akinoshima.

Edited by Doitsuyama

In the ozeki ranks, Kaio is at ozeki for his 50th basho, which ranks him second all-time behind Takanohana I. It is also Kaio's 91st basho in Makuuchi, which means he holds second place all-time.

Kaio is tied with Takanohana I at 50. Chiyotaikai is first with the 59th basho at ozeki now. I am also not sure what to make of the other stat as I have Takamiyama at first with 97 makuuchi basho ahead of Terao at 93. Kaio is third, tied with Akinoshima.

Sorry, yes I mistranslated the first part in my haste. It reads that "Kaio joins 2nd all-time Takanohana I with 50 ozeki basho"

The second part is perhaps explained that it is Kaio's 91st consecutive makuuchi basho. In the original: 幕内在位も史上単独2位の連続91場所に伸びた This puts him second behind Takamiyama. Again, my error for excluding that in my haste.

Verified:

Hakuhou Y Asashouryuu

Kotomitsuki O Kaiou

Chiyotaikai O Kotooushuu

Ama S Baruto

Goueidou K Aminishiki

Toyonoshima 1 Futenou

Toyohibiki 2 Wakanosato

Kotoshougiku 3 Hokutouriki

Kisenosato 4 Tochinoshin

Asasekiryuu 5 Dejima

Kakuryuu 6 Kyokutenhou

Miyabiyama 7 Tochinonada

Takekaze 8 Kakizoe

Tochiouzan 9 Tokitenkuu

Bushuuyama 10 Aran

Kokkai 11 Kouryuu

Yoshikaze 12 Kasuganishiki

Masatsukasa 13 Tamanoshima

Takamisakari 14 Kitataiki

Kimurayama 15 Houmashou

Tosanoumi 16 Chiyohakuhou

Edited by Kintamayama

Takanohana I is second with 95 !

Juryo:

Shimotori 1 Toyozakura

Iwakiyama 2 Tosayutaka

Hoshihikari 3 Yamamotoyama (nice joke..)

Outsukasa 4 Tamawashi

Kaihou 5 Wakatenrou

Kyokunankai 6 Wakakirin

Kasugaou 7 Wakakouyuu

Tamaasuka 8 Yotsuguruma

Sakaizawa 9 Shoutenrou

Kitazakura 10 Ryuuou

Kotokasuga 11 Shirononami

Sagatsukasa 12 Hakuba

Ushiomaru 13 Moukonami

Ichihara 14 Daishouumi

Edited by Kintamayama

Takanohana I is second with 95 !

No, he had 95 basho for his entire career, and only 70 in Makuuchi.

Could this be right?

Kokkai 11 Kouryuu

Kimurayama 15 Houmashou

Flip Koryu and Homasho, and I would say it is not too far off.

Could this be right?

Kokkai 11 Kouryuu

Kimurayama 15 Houmashou

Flip Koryu and Homasho, and I would say it is not too far off.

Nope-verified as written..