Sign in to follow this  
madorosumaru

Wakanoho's yaocho allegations

Apparently Wakanoho is said to be interested in professional wrestling or other marital arts activity after taking a bit of break. Whether he has approached or has been approached by any such group is not established.

he has no conviction in Japan IIRC - so will have no trouble getting a visa to return - look for Wakanoho VS Akebono in future!

Sad hair snipping indeedy.

A mage-snipping "ceremony" was held for the former Wakanoho on Sunday at a hotel in Tokyo. The news report said that it really couldn't be called a dampatsushiki. Approximately, 30 people, Japanese and Russian, attended the event, which featured a simple buffet. Twenty of the guests took their turns cutting off his oicho mage.

I was interested when Jonosuke made his post about this, and now I'm thinking about it even more. I wonder who actually turned up for this. I suspect his lawyer was there but I wonder who else (especially the Japanese among these 20) might associate themselves with him? Had it not said Russian and Japanese I might have speculated that Nishi was there.

I was interested when Jonosuke made his post about this, and now I'm thinking about it even more. I wonder who actually turned up for this. I suspect his lawyer was there but I wonder who else (especially the Japanese among these 20) might associate themselves with him? Had it not said Russian and Japanese I might have speculated that Nishi was there.

It's possible he could be mistaken for a Ruskie.

I wonder which tokoyama fashioned his oicho? I'm asuming he isn't welcome at Magaki (or any other heya for that matter.)

Apparently Wakanoho is said to be interested in professional wrestling or other marital arts activity after taking a bit of break. Whether he has approached or has been approached by any such group is not established.

Before the ladies start lining up, let's correct that to "martial".

Orion ;-)

I wonder which tokoyama fashioned his oicho? I'm asuming he isn't welcome at Magaki (or any other heya for that matter.)

One of the newspaper reports said it was a former tokoyama but gave no names or heya affiliations.

Ex-Wakanohou has left the building. He left Japan for Russia today. "He decided to leave yesterday. He started preparing his leave last week but the preparations took him much longer than expected.. ", said his lawyer. "He made a mistake, but he's still 20. I hope he takes care of himself..", he added.

"I sincerely apologize. I loved Sumo and Japan. I will treasure the fact that I was part of sumo forever..", said Soslan.

Edited by Kintamayama

Meanwhile, in America...

phelpsbong__opt.jpg

The first thing we have to do is stop thinking that just because someone is fantastic at sports that he or she is some kind of role model for children. Physical prowess and scoring ability does not a role model make. It doesn

What a sad farewell ... where are all your friends when you need them :-P

I guess it shows that most of his acquaintances were in or connected to the Kyokai? Now, as he is a pariah, they can't or won't associate with him.

I'd be interested to see what he ends up doing. Hopefully he can set himself up back home, but I get the feeling that he'll have some difficult times ahead because he has no qualifications and seems impressionable.

I'd be interested to see what he ends up doing.

Amasumo circuit perhaps?

Hmm, I thought about that but don't know if he would 'stoop' to our level (meant in the nicest possible way). He might consider it if there was benefit to him by representing Russia - I know a few of the athletes do quite well from the prestige they get from regularly winning - but I get the feeling that there is an unspoken, unwritten consideration that sekitori should not drop back down and compete. If you look at the gus who have been involved in international amasumo they were makushita and below. The reinstatement in Japan by the Nihon Sumo Renmei is only for makushita and below as far as I'm aware (although I don't have a good knowledge on any exceptions).

... but I get the feeling that he'll have some difficult times ahead because he has no qualifications and seems impressionable.

Well, he is just 20. He can still start studying or getting profiled in any profession he choses.

It all depends on desire and abilities, but his future is still wide open.