Sign in to follow this  
madorosumaru

Wakanoho's yaocho allegations

A couple more to add:

According to Wakanoho, this go-between with him and the Gendai, Mr. X, has a Russian mafia connection so he feels personal danger as he does not know where Mr. X is.

Wakanoho currently has no income and the Gendai is paying the rent for the place he is staying now. I guess It's likely he will be homeless soon.

End of the Shukan Gendai's response.

that statement by the paper is hilarous to me. they are saying "eventhough the bases for this whole thing is your word, your word is no longer strong enough to refute your word on which our entire case is built. so people shouldnt believe your word, eventhough we want them to believe your word"

Heck, Toki got a 2nd chance after his reckless driving resulted in the death of a civilian. Certainly smoking marijuana is not as bad as what Toki did!

Aren't you making things up? There never was the accusation of "reckless driving". The old lady crossed a red light directly ahead of his car, that can happen without reckless driving and he wasn't penalized for that (either by law or kyokai). His problem was driving at all which is not allowed for rikishi. I'd wager to say that this is way more silly than Japanese marijuana laws, and Toki took his penalty (one basho absence) in stride.

I took my account of Toki's incident from memory alone. I must have gotten my information 2nd or 3rd hand, and something was lost along the way. Ok, I guess my comparison was not best.

I decided to see if a google search would still include some old news about Toki's driving accident, and the following site has the best English language account I could find :

http://www.sumoshimpo.com/2001/feb_01.html

A quote from the article :

"TOKI was visiting his new wife and baby in Osaka. Driving with his wife and mother-in-law after shopping, he struck a 56-year-old woman at a pedestrian crossing. The victim suffered a fractured skull and died almost instantly. According to police, TOKI was not intoxicated. Police sources indicated the following day that TOKI admitted to some responsibility for the accident."

So Toki was not accused by Japanese law enforcement of reckless driving, but neither did he claim to be totally innocent of all wrongdoing. So apparently Toki's biggest infraction was that he should not have been driving at all.

Another quote:

"The Nihon Sumo Kyokai banned active rikishi from driving last spring after AKINOSHIMA was involved in a less-serious accident."

So the rule about rikishi not being allowed to drive has not been around that long, only since 2000.

Edited by mokele

The Gendai came out with a new issue. They claim ex-Wakanohou told them this a day before he had his apology press conference. "I'm wondering how I can return to sumo ( and deny my own allegations of yaocho) , without causing any problems for the Gendai.. I came up with 'Mr. X' and I think if I dump everything on 'him' it would be good...". "I'll have to read the article, but ex-Wakanohou has told me he never said anything like that to the Gendai. As for the existence of 'Mr. X', I have heard about him for quite a while now. I'm pretty sure the Gendai know of his existence as well..", said ex-Wakanohou's lawyer.

Edited by Kintamayama

Wakanoho's lawyer, Miyata, is accusing the Shukan Gendai of segregating Wakanoho in a facility from September 29 to October 21 and during this time Wakanoho had not only being denied access to his advice but his freedom was controlled.

Miyata also added that the Gendai also tried repeatedly to stop Wakanoho from recanting his yaocho statements as well to stop his press conference where he told he lied about yaocho.

The Gendai later issued a comment saying while it was true that they have put Wakanoho in an accommodation they provided because Wakanoho asked for it and he even told them he had fun staying there. They also said they never controlled Wakanoho's conduct during his stay and denied that they have ever attempted to stop his press conference.

I might add that the Gendai's top story this week is not on Wakanoho but about two other rikishi - Daimanazur and Ryugi visiting an illegal gambling place in Kyushu right before the basho.

These guys just don't quit but sooner or later I imagine their readers will get sick of all these stories.

I might add that the Gendai's top story this week is not on Wakanoho but about two other rikishi - Daimanazur and Ryugi visiting an illegal gambling place in Kyushu right before the basho.

Oh, so the Gendai have decided to finally go after the IMPORTANT guys..

Oh, so the Gendai have decided to finally go after the IMPORTANT guys..

prooves the end is near :-)

So the rule about rikishi not being allowed to drive has not been around that long, only since 2000.

I seem to recall an earlier, serious crash sometime during the (early?) Nineties which probably was the time when the driving ban was instated, if not even earlier. Anyone with exact information?

Though it is getting to be off-topic but the driving ban rule happened after an accident caused by Mitoizumi on May 3, 1985. He and three other passengers in his car were injured when he hit another car in front of him. He was charged with speeding and careless driving but did not receive any sentence. Mitoizumi actually had to go on kyujo initially on the following May Basho but returned the mid-way.

After the incident the Kyokai felt if there was a civil case based on such accident, it may not only affect their basho but also to the shisho and heya as well as to other rikishi, so they decided it was prudent for them to put the ban before anything serious develops.

Though it is getting to be off-topic but the driving ban rule happened after an accident caused by Mitoizumi on May 3, 1985. He and three other passengers in his car were injured when he hit another car in front of him. He was charged with speeding and careless driving but did not receive any sentence. Mitoizumi actually had to go on kyujo initially on the following May Basho but returned the mid-way.

After the incident the Kyokai felt if there was a civil case based on such accident, it may not only affect their basho but also to the shisho and heya as well as to other rikishi, so they decided it was prudent for them to put the ban before anything serious develops.

Exactly so. The kyujo was not the result of the accident itself. Mitoizumi had cuts on his face from the broken glass. He was obliged to go kyujo because a bandaged face is not appropriate on the dohyo. (A gyoji who suffered facial injuries was once suspended for the same reason).

Orion

20081129k0000m050098000p_size5.jpg

What surprises me is that Soslan still keeps his long hair. Maybe he is just some normal rock fan, but I thing that actually he still keeps his hope that they will accept him back in the ozumo...

The Tokyo High Court has dismissed an appeal made by former Wakanoho after his suit of unfair termination by the Kyokai was rejected by the Tokyo District Court.

Wakanoho was also asking the District Court for a temporary injunction so he would not be expelled from the country after he lost his working visa. However the court decided that the possession of marijuana was a serious violation of the law and dismissed the case as well.

According to his lawyer, the High Court stated the Kyokai should have "provided an appropriate place for him to defend himself when faced with such a grave consequence as losing the rights and privileges as a rikishi and hoped that the Kyoaki would install such processes and standards for penalties of this kind in the future".

"Considering financial predicament he is in at the moment and including his possible early departure from Japan, we will be preparing an appropriate response shortly," his lawyer commented.

The Kyokai are now saying they might not have a choice and may have to pay Wakanohou and the brothers severance pay of more than 5 million yen each. "If we are asked by them to do so, legally we'll have no choice but to pay, " said someone close to a source. OTOH, former Tokitsukaze has made no demands, so he won't be payed. In the Kyokai rulebook, expelled rikishi don't get payed (three fourth of the officials, trustees, Yokozuna and Ozeki have to vote in favor), but discharged rikishi never existed till now so there is nothing specific regarding them. Wakanohou had asked to be payed everything owed to him till now in full and was turned down, so now his lawyer is going for severance pay, which will probably be payed after his dismissal will be deemed "legal". "We've got to think about revising the rules..", said the Kyokai management side.

Edited by Kintamayama

The Kyokai are now saying they might not have a choice and may have to pay Wakanohou and the brothers severance pay of more than 5 million yen each. "If we are asked by them to do so, legally we'll have no choice but to pay, " said someone close to a source.

If they're talking about what I think they're talking about, the amount would probably be significantly higher than 5m for the brothers.

Edited by Asashosakari

The Kyokai are now saying they might not have a choice and may have to pay Wakanohou and the brothers severance pay of more than 5 million yen each. "If we are asked by them to do so, legally we'll have no choice but to pay, " said someone close to a source.

If they're talking about what I think they're talking about, the amount would probably be significantly higher than 5m for the brothers.

The reporter bundled them together. As for Wakanohou, the exact number is 5,800,000 yen.

The reporter bundled them together.

Right, I figured as much - just wanted to point out that 5m yen, while sounding like quite a bit given the ignominious way they exited, will even be on the low side for the two elder guys.

Now, to check if 5.8m is the number I'd also be arriving at for Wakanoho...I'm still not sure I've totally figured out the merit payment thingystuff.

Okay, Mainichi says approx. 8.2m yen for Roho and 6.4m yen for Hakurozan, which is way short of my numbers. Of course, they also put Wakanoho at 5.2m, so obviously even the sumo beat journalists aren't really firm on this stuff.

Wakanohou has dropped all charges against the Kyokai. They have reached an amicable agreement and he should be receiving around 6 million yen. [Whispering] It's possible he'll get some more for settling, who knows.[/Whispering]

In a hotel in Tokyo, Ex-Wakanohou had a sad danpatsushiki, with 20 people cutting his hair. No Oyakata, no rikishi. "I'm just, only, only sad. That's all", he said, tears streaming. His lawyer says he will be returning to Russia in a few days.

Remaining true to himself and stupendously clueless to the end, former Wakanoho called all rikishi and oyakata he had in mobile phone address book to come to his mage cutting act (I'd hesitate to call it a ceremony). After all he has done and even accusing some of yaocho one time, pretty much everyone connected to the Kyokai had just one thought, "What a nerve!"

One rikishi who got the call told him diplomatically he'd if he had free time. One oyakata even warned him not to get anyone in trouble no more and not put them in a uncomfortable situation. Japanese has a word for a person like him - "Can't read the air".

Wakanoho has a bit of money now from the Kyokai (a bit less than six million yen) so rather than spending it in Japan for legal fee or whatever, he realized he'd better off use it as a start money for a new venture or get some education or training back home to start his life all over again, the first smart thing he will be doing in a long long time.

Anybody knows where exactly he goes back to? Which City?

Maybe he will sell his story back home...

A mage-snipping "ceremony" was held for the former Wakanoho on Sunday at a hotel in Tokyo. The news report said that it really couldn't be called a dampatsushiki. Approximately, 30 people, Japanese and Russian, attended the event, which featured a simple buffet. Twenty of the guests took their turns cutting off his oicho mage.

When the last snip was made, the former rikishi said with tears in his eyes, "I feel very sad. That's all. Just very sad." Not a single person currently affiliated with Ozumo showed up.

His lawyer told the press, "He will be going back to Russia within a few weeks. We may hold a [final] press conference this coming week."

His lawyer told the press, "He will be going back to Russia within a few weeks."

Reminds me of this great classic:

MarvinKMooneyWillYouPleaseGoNowBookCover.jpg