Sign in to follow this  
madorosumaru

Wakanoho's yaocho allegations

According to a sanspo article, next week's issue of Shukan Gendai quotes former Wakanoho as saying he threw bouts to Kotooshu and Kasuganishiki.

Prior to Natsu Basho, Osh approached him and said, "I'll be facing kadoban next basho. Help me out. I'll give you a million yen. Maybe, even a million and a half." On shonichi of that basho, Waka obliged and lost by yorikiri. In the dressing on senshuraku, he was handed a tape box containing the million yen. Waka said he also lost on purpose to Oshu on Day 5 of the Nagoya Basho.

In addition, Kasuganishiki once came to him with a request, "I desperately want to stay in makuuchi. take a fall." On Day 2 of 2007 Aki Basho, Waka said he intentionally stepped back and out of the dohyo. Kasuganishiki ended up with make-koshi but with a record of 7-8, he was able to stay in makuuchi for one more basho.

Kotooshu, of course, denied the allegation. He told the press at the Kokugikan, "I didn't do any yaocho. [The article is] all lies. [such occurences are] unthinkable."

Kasuganishiki also said it didn't happen. "Nothing like that took place. The story has no basis in fact."

Musashigawa Rijicho, when approached, said, "Nothing has been confirmed so there is no way for me to comment. If something developes, I will respond to you [at that time]."

In addition, Kasuganishiki once came to him with a request, "I desperately want to stay in makuuchi. take a fall." On Day 2 of 2007 Aki Basho, Waka said he intentionally stepped back and out of the dohyo. Kasuganishiki ended up with make-koshi but with a record of 7-8, he was able to stay in makuuchi for one more basho.

Kasuganishiki, since 2006:

2006.01 M5w	 O*OO**O******** 4-11
2006.03 M13w	****OO******OOO 5-10
2006.05 J2e	 OO*O**OO***OO** 7-8
2006.07 J2w	 OOOO*O*O**O**OO 9-6
2006.09 M15e	O*O***OO***OO** 6-9
2006.11 J3e	 O***OO*O*OOOOO* 9-6
2007.01 M13e	O*O*OO*OO*O**OO 9-6
2007.03 M10e	********O*OO*O* 4-11
2007.05 M16w	*O**O****O***O* 4-11
2007.07 J3e	 *O*OOO***O**OOO 8-7
2007.09 M16e	OOOO********OOO 7-8
2007.11 M16w	**OO*O*OOOO**** 7-8
2008.01 J1e	 *O***O**O****O# 4-11
2008.03 J8w	 OO**OOO**O*OO** 8-7
2008.05 J4e	 ***OO*OO***OO** 6-9
2008.07 J6w	 OOO**O*O**O*OOO 9-6
2008.09 J3w	 O*OOOOO**%**O*O 9-6

Stranger things have happened, I suppose, but that would have to be the dumbest yaocho request imaginable if true...after five makuuchi MK in his last six basho and three demotions to juryo in a year and a half, Kasuganishiki (freshly back from juryo yet again) was desperate to stay in makuuchi?

And Kotooshu is the least discerning customer ever if he bought that win in Nagoya basho, in the middle of Wakanoho's eight-bout losing streak. Not to mention he was 2-2 at that point and had looked terrible, and his small shot at the yokozuna promotion was pretty well gone. So, why?! At least Itai's stories could usually point to some coherent motivations for the involved players...

According to a sanspo article, next week's issue of Shukan Gendai quotes former Wakanoho as saying he threw bouts to Kotooshu and Kasuganishiki.

"I never got into a fight with him, but we weren't that close either. I used to go out to eat with him in the past, but that was back in 2004 when he first arrived and was under the care of Magaki beya so he used to tag along with Rohou..", said Osh. "I haven't read the article or spoken to the Oyakata about it yet", he added upon being asked if he intends to take Wakanohou to court.

"It all never happened. He's 'talking to himself' here.. We're not in the same ichimon, and I've never spoken to him or socialized with him. Why would he be saying such things?? I am really surprised..", said Kasuganishiki. He is not considering legal steps at this point either.

Osh and Josh (Kasuganishiki) summoned to the Kyokai headquarters for "questioning":

KFullNormal20081007031_l.jpg

Osh and Josh (Kasuganishiki) summoned to the Kyokai headquarters for "questioning":

The plot thickens. I have a feeling the NSK is trying to cover their butt, just in case Wakanoho might be

telling the truth (Blinking...)

Chiyonotora

From what I read in the Bulgarian sites about the accusation of Kotooshu by Wakanoho, I can't understand if he has "sold" his matches, or he has lost them "for free" (because he was afraid).

(Otherwise in the Bulgarian editions there is nothing more on the subject than you already saw in the articles in English - so no point of translating. But if you need to understand something from a Bulgarian site - just tell me, I'll gladly translate)

The plot thickens. I have a feeling the NSK is trying to cover their butt, just in case Wakanoho might be

telling the truth (Blinking...)

Chiyonotora

That is the normal way if a rikishi is accused of something. He gets there to be heard and if something proved guilty gets a stern warning or "real" punishments. Of course in the current situation it is highly unlikely that the NSK was to publicize that they found out about a thrown match...

From what I read in the Bulgarian sites about the accusation of Kotooshu by Wakanoho, I can't understand if he has "sold" his matches, or he has lost them "for free" (because he was afraid).

Don't read the Bulgarian press, read the forum, it knows better... 1 million yen was the price. It's even on this thread a bit upper.

For at least this one, I believe Kotooshu.

I don't know what Wakanoho had against Kotooshu (possibly because he is the most popular of all foreign born rikishi aside from Asashoryu as well as having a corporate sponsor), it's really strange he is making such an accusation.

At the press conference he held a while back, he said he would disclose all the information in court but obviously he changed his mind. Likely he needed the money from the Gendai quickly but there seems to be no rhyme and reason for whatever he does now. He needs someone he can talk to without any monetary interests. Perhaps Nishi san can find him and straighten him out.

I thought the reason he was doing the court appearance was because he wanted to "clean up" Ozumo if he ever returns but now he is on the Shukan Gendai, the people the Kyokai is suing and battling it out in court.

I guess he has just about the same mentality as a guy who wants to kill himself so why not take a few people along.....

Likely he needed the money from the Gendai quickly but there seems to be no rhyme and reason for whatever he does now.

REEFER MADNESS!

Now Wakanoho says his yaocho allegations were all lies. Huh?

Russian sumo wrestler lied about match rigging

Yup, starting to come out on the sites. He says he was told by some guy to lie about yaocho, and that would open the doors for him back to Sumo. "I've done a terrible thing. I'd like to apologize to all the rikishi I named", he said. He also denies that he ever met with a Gendai reporter, who in turn said he spent more than 30 hours with him.

I guess "they" got to him too...

Is it now that he's telling the truth, or was it before? Or has he never been telling the truth? Who knows?

But if he is telling the truth now, then that makes him a pawn being manipulated from possibly multiple directions. Pretty shameful thing to do to somebody who's basically still a kid. But I guess that's the way it's been throughout history. Older people with agendas using young people by sending them off to sacrifice themselves for a cause they don't even understand.

And the kid was kicked out over a little marijuana smoking, while Hakuho brags to reporters about how much alcohol he drank after the yusho win. Not that it would matter in most countries, but a study I read recently in the prestigious medical journal, The Lancet, found that alcohol is much more dangerous than marijuana. This whole situation stinks so bad.

Finally some good news. His accusations have always seemed very unrealistic to me.

@ Kozaru: To me this makes Wakanoho a liar. You already said you are very new to sumo and it speaks in your posts. You should take a little time and get used to the history of sumo. The sport is based in Japan and the NSK is under the rule of the Japanese government. Thus sumo has to follow the Japanese law, regardless whether there are countries where people are praised for getting stoned and losing wallets with pot in public. If you do that in Japan it is a crime. So nothing stinks with the way the NSK has handled Wakanoho. Hakuho bragging about the amount of beer he drank is normal in sumo. It is a men's world, and in Japan men celebrate things by drinking alcohol. Bragging about it is the way things are done in sumo. Yesterday I read a Kitanoumi interview from the late 70's where he told that he had four litres of Whiskey without getting drunk. The first Wakanohana is said to have drunk 50 bottles of beer. There is nothing illegal about it. I personally enjoy these stories, although I sometimes doubt the amounts that are named there and would not advice anybody to do the same...

By the way: Wasn't there one forum member who believed in Wakanoho's accusations? (Neener, neener...)

So nothing stinks with the way the NSK has handled Wakanoho.

Not just the way that the NSK handled Wakanoho, but this current stuff. If he's telling the truth now, it would mean that somebody, possibly inside the sumo world, is trying to get him to make false claims, and he also has a 'news' organisation pushing him, for their own purposes.

I'm not so new to sumo that I don't even understand that marijuana is illegal in Japan. I do live here. I just needed to vent. (Major alcohol and drug issues going on in my family right now)

But in general, I'm what they call a 'free-thinker'. I know many people on this site really value tradition, but traditions have very little value to me, especially if they suck. I try to evaluate everything on its own merits, not based on how long it's been done that way for. In my head, nothing is off-limits to change. So part of the 'newbiness' that you saw in my post was really just me and my way of thinking about the world. Alcohol is very dangerous (marijuana not so much), and if we could put that genie back in the bottle, we probably would (even though that might mean some of us wouldn't exist (Neener, neener...) ).

Edited by Kozaru

Kozaru, I suggest you re-read the GS articles "based" on Wakanoho's confession. They made for a fun read and were bursting with details but also visibly full of scripted lies. I've never felt bad for Wakanoho, but this is a good time for him to leave Japan, in order avoid further ridicule, or worse.

And yah, I also seem to remember one particularly outstanding forum member who believed Wakanoho.

And yah, I also seem to remember one particularly outstanding forum member who believed Wakanoho.

And this is where the double conspiracy might come in handy. Maybe Wakanoho told the truth the first time, or at least some kernel of truth, and now he was paid by influential people to revoke his allegations. That would make Wakanoho a clever guy because he earned twice (once from the Shukan Gendai, once from influential people).

Edited by Randomitsuki

By the way: Wasn't there one forum member who believed in Wakanoho's accusations? (Neener, neener...)

Yep, and I still do. The fact that he now denies it means nothing to me, since it's obvious it's what his lawyer (who publicly said he was astonished at his client's original admission, as it damaged their case totally, yet he stuck with him...) wanted him to say as belated damage control, since the date of his deportation looms.

Edited by Kintamayama

If that's what it takes to finally get some respect around here, great!!

And this is where the double conspiracy might come in handy. Maybe Wakanoho told the truth the first time, or at least some kernel of truth, and now he was paid by influential people to revoke his allegations. That would make Wakanoho a clever guy because he earned twice (once from the Shukan Gendai, once from influential people).

A few years back. Itai allegations. Two Oyakata back him up. A few days later-the two Oyakata die within hours of each other in a hospital.

Eerie violin music. Curtains.

Not just the way that the NSK handled Wakanoho, but this current stuff. If he's telling the truth now, it would mean that somebody, possibly inside the sumo world, is trying to get him to make false claims, and he also has a 'news' organisation pushing him, for their own purposes.

And that reflects badly on the Kyokai why exactly? The notion that nobody affiliated with sumo can sneeze without the riji board having orchestrated it isn't anywhere close to reality. If anything, the last couple of years have demonstrated that there are far too many loose cannons around that they don't have any control over whatsoever (and I'm not even including other interested parties like Shukan Gendai in that). I find Wakanoho's sudden denials just as questionable as his original "confessions", but the idea that some random sumo hanger-on that he might have already known from before got him to vent about yaocho with wild promises of a return opportunity is certainly credible to me, given that Magaki-oyakata had pretty much lost all control of the guy and it's anybody's guess just who might have had Wakanoho's ear at the end. (Shame on you, Nishinoshima!)

Since the Shukan Gendai had very little credibility to begin with and they must have milked the story as much as they could, they had hardly nothing much to lose except they may want to get their money back from Wakanoho.

Wakanoho's credibility is another story. Now no one knows what to believe, his first or this latest story.

However one distinction is that when he did the interviews with the Shukan Gendai, he was not under oath but this time his lawyer submitted a written statement to the Tokyo Regional Court. So if he is found to be making a false claim to the court then he would be penalized legally and that certainly does not bode well for him at all as far as his future in Japan is concerned.

In this sense Hakuroho brothers proved to be smarter. They were not charged for any crime. There was no hard evidence of marijuana use (other than their testing). And the Kyokai never had any policy about marijuana use when they were tested. There is a chance that their grievances to be accepted by the court even though they have a nil chance of returning to Ozumo.

As for Wakanoho he is simply better off going home before anything else happens to him.

Edited by Jonosuke

...since it's obvious it's what his lawyer wanted him to say as belated damage control...

What damage is there still to be controlled? He turned from victim into liar, brilliant move! That should squish the last doubt about his deportation.

@ Chiyozakura & Kame

What makes you two believe this time, because you heard what you wanted to believe? This could be another twist in his tale or his last straw.