Sign in to follow this  
Doitsuyama

Day 13 results and day 14 pairings

Yokozuna Hakuho won a cautiously fought bout against veteran ozeki Kaio to stay in the yusho lead with a 12-1 score. The two pursuers Kotomitsuki and Ama kept his pace with wins over Toyonoshima and Kotoshogiku, improving to 11-2. No other rikishi is in double digits yet as Goeido had another ozeki loss, this time with oshitaoshi to Bulgarian Kotooshu.

Ozeki Chiyotaikai got his kachi-koshi today with a win against Kakuryu, with only Hokutoriki and Kakizoe also getting the eighth win while five other rikishi at seven wins lost. Sekiwake Toyonoshima is the next sanyaku to finish make-koshi, leaving Baruto who won against Aminishiki for his sixth win. Sanyaku replacement options become fewer by the day as maegashira joi-jin Kotoshogiku and Kyokutenho fell to make-koshi, leaving only Aminishiki and Kakuryu among the M1-M5 ranks who both are 6-7 (besides Goeido of course). Should both finish make-koshi as well, and Toyonoshima get a ninth loss, the banzuke makers will have to dig deep for a second komusubi as Toyohibiki (currently 7-6) Hokutoriki, Wakanosato and Futeno are the next available options.

Aran won against co-leader Tosayutaka with Koryu beating Wakatenro to keep a joint juryo yusho lead. Yamamotoyama is two wins behind the lead now as he lost his fourth straight bout, and his opponent Bushuyama stays in the yusho race at 9-4. Koryu should return to makuuchi with the tenth win, and Kasuganishiki also is getting nearer to a return as he achieved kachi-koshi today.

Day 13

Juryo

Ms4w   Mori (4-3)		  hatakikomi	 J14e   Asofuji (5-8)
J11w   Ushiomaru (5-8)	 yorikiri	   J9w	Ryuo (5-8)
J11e   Hakuba (6-7)		uwatedashinage J7w	Mokonami (5-8)
J7e	Hoshihikari (8-5)   yorikiri	   J13e   Kirinowaka (3-10)
J6w	Aran (10-3)		 yorikiri	   J10e   Tosayutaka (9-4)
J5w	Kyokunankai (7-6)   yorikiri	   J13w   Kaiho (8-5)
J5e	Koryu (10-3)		okuridashi	 J14w   Wakatenro (7-6)
J4e	Wakakirin (6-7)	 oshidashi	  J8e	Kotokasuga (5-8)
J12w   Otsukasa (7-6)	  hikiotoshi	 J3e	Shimotori (6-7)
J9e	Sagatsukasa (6-7)   oshidashi	  J2w	Tamakasuga (5-8)
J3w	Kasuganishiki (8-5) yorikiri	   J2e	Tosanoumi (7-6)
J8w	Shirononami (4-9)   yorikiri	   J1w	Kitazakura (1-12)
J1e	Bushuyama (9-4)	 yorikiri	   J12e   Yamamotoyama (8-5)

Makuuchi

M13w   Kitataiki (7-6)	 oshidashi	  J4w	Toyozakura (7-6)
M13e   Chiyohakuho (5-8)   oshidashi	  M14w   Kimurayama (7-6)
M12e   Tamanoshima (7-6)   oshitaoshi	 M14e   Takekaze (7-6)
M11w   Takamisakari (6-7)  sukuinage	  M15e   Tamawashi (4-9)
M11e   Yoshikaze (6-7)	 oshidashi	  M15w   Kasugao (1-12)
M10w   Futeno (9-4)		yorikiri	   M10e   Tochinoshin (7-6)
M16w   Kakizoe (8-5)	   oshidashi	  M9w	Wakanosato (8-5)
M9e	Hokutoriki (8-5)	hikiotoshi	 M16e   Kokkai (7-6)
M12w   Dejima (7-6)		tsukiotoshi	M6e	Toyohibiki (7-6)
M8w	Masatsukasa (4-9)   sukuinage	  M3e	Kyokutenho (5-8)

M2e	Kisenosato (5-8)	oshidashi	  M7w	Tokitenku (4-9)
M1w	Miyabiyama (4-9)	oshitaoshi	 M6w	Tochiozan (5-8)
M4w	Tochinonada (5-8)   tsukiotoshi	K1w	Asasekiryu (4-9)
K1e	Baruto (6-7)		oshidashi	  M4e	Aminishiki (6-7)
S1e	Ama (11-2)		  yorikiri	   M1e	Kotoshogiku (5-8)
O2w	Chiyotaikai (8-5)   hatakikomi	 M5e	Kakuryu (6-7)
O1w	Kotooshu (7-6)	  oshitaoshi	 M5w	Goeido (9-4)
O1e	Kotomitsuki (11-2)  yorikiri	   S1w	Toyonoshima (5-8)
Y1e	Hakuho (12-1)	   yorikiri	   O2e	Kaio (8-5)

Day 14

Juryo

Ms5e   Tokusegawa (3-3)				   J14w   Wakatenro (7-6)
J8e	Kotokasuga (5-8)				   J10e   Tosayutaka (9-4)
J11e   Hakuba (6-7)					   J8w	Shirononami (4-9)
J13w   Kaiho (8-5)						J6w	Aran (10-3)
J5e	Koryu (10-3)					   J14e   Asofuji (5-8)
J11w   Ushiomaru (5-8)					J5w	Kyokunankai (7-6)
J12w   Otsukasa (7-6)					 J4w	Toyozakura (7-6)
J3e	Shimotori (6-7)					J9e	Sagatsukasa (6-7)
J12e   Yamamotoyama (8-5)				 J3w	Kasuganishiki (8-5)
J2e	Tosanoumi (7-6)					J9w	Ryuo (5-8)
J7w	Mokonami (5-8)					 J2w	Tamakasuga (5-8)
J1e	Bushuyama (9-4)					J7e	Hoshihikari (8-5)
J13e   Kirinowaka (3-10)				  J1w	Kitazakura (1-12)

Makuuchi

J4e	Wakakirin (6-7)					M15w   Kasugao (1-12)
M11e   Yoshikaze (6-7)					M16e   Kokkai (7-6)
M16w   Kakizoe (8-5)					  M11w   Takamisakari (6-7)
M10e   Tochinoshin (7-6)				  M13e   Chiyohakuho (5-8)
M13w   Kitataiki (7-6)					M10w   Futeno (9-4)
M12w   Dejima (7-6)					   M9w	Wakanosato (8-5)
M15e   Tamawashi (4-9)					M8w	Masatsukasa (4-9)
M12e   Tamanoshima (7-6)				  M7w	Tokitenku (4-9)
M6e	Toyohibiki (7-6)				   M14w   Kimurayama (7-6)
M14e   Takekaze (7-6)					 M6w	Tochiozan (5-8)

M4e	Aminishiki (6-7)				   M9e	Hokutoriki (8-5)
M1e	Kotoshogiku (5-8)				  M1w	Miyabiyama (4-9)
K1e	Baruto (6-7)					   M3e	Kyokutenho (5-8)
M5e	Kakuryu (6-7)					  K1w	Asasekiryu (4-9)
S1e	Ama (11-2)						 M5w	Goeido (9-4)
M2e	Kisenosato (5-8)				   S1w	Toyonoshima (5-8)
M4w	Tochinonada (5-8)				  O2w	Chiyotaikai (8-5)
O1e	Kotomitsuki (11-2)				 O2e	Kaio (8-5)
Y1e	Hakuho (12-1)					  O1w	Kotooshu (7-6)

Kotomitsuki might rekindle the tsunatori talk at Sadogatake on Sunday. But then again, he's still Kotomitsuki...

J1w	Kitazakura (1-12)

Wow, what's wrong with him? His previous records indicated that he is still able to handle the Juryo guys.

Injury? Bad carma?

Edited by Raishu

I had hoped that Kisenosato and Kotoshogiku would be able to KK and move back toward Sanyaku after their MKs last basho. Any thoughts on why they weren't able to move back to Sanyaku? Are they injured? If I missed this discussion on another thread, please direct me there. :-P

Haven't heard about any physical ailments either. I guess Kise took a wrong turn again on the road to nowhere, and Giku was too busy taking groupies out for dinner. :-P

I won't be able to post the day 14 results in time as I will help a friend moving to a new flat which should last a while. Of course Sumo Reference has the results and more.

Oh, while I am at it, on senshuraku I won't be able to post in time either as I will be out even earlier for my special activity. You might be able to guess what it is, right? No guesses allowed for the few who I already told of course. :-P

Haven't heard about any physical ailments either. I guess Kise took a wrong turn again on the road to nowhere, and Giku was too busy taking groupies out for dinner. :-P

Put the blame on me ... :-P

Kotoshogiku isn't injured but he told me he gained a lot of weight since last basho. He was happy about it but I don't know if it may affect his agility on the other hand. He also couldn't train all the time before the basho cause his grandfather died and he had to stay with his family.

Oh, while I am at it, on senshuraku I won't be able to post in time either as I will be out even earlier for my special activity. You might be able to guess what it is, right?

Something to do with the banner in your signature?

Kotomitsuki might rekindle the tsunatori talk at Sadogatake on Sunday. But then again, he's still Kotomitsuki...

IMO he would need to beat Hakuho in the senshuraku musubi no ichiban and the kettei sen which would be required to take the yusho for serious consideration to even start talking about it. I don't think 12-3 jun yusho would do it for Mickey unless he got a 14-1 or 15-0 yusho in Kyushu.

Still, interesting times with Mickey and Ama possibly on the up while most sanyaku and joi are doing terribly. Futeno could be right back into the joi for Kyushu along with a few other unlikely characters, especially if they get another win or two. GTB will be challenging indeed.

J1w	Kitazakura (1-12)

Wow, what's wrong with him? His previous records indicated that he is still able to handle the Juryo guys.

Injury? Bad carma?

Salt-throwing injury?

Still, interesting times with Mickey and Ama possibly on the up while most sanyaku and joi are doing terribly. Futeno could be right back into the joi for Kyushu along with a few other unlikely characters, especially if they get another win or two. GTB will be challenging indeed.

A funny thing happened on the way to the next GTB contest...

Hakuho (Ye, 12-1)		 Y	Asashoryu (Yw, 5-5-3)
Kotomitsuki (O1e, 11-2)   O1   Kaio (O2e, 8-5)
Chiyotaikai (O2w, 8-5)	O2   Kotooshu (O1w, 7-6)
Ama (Se, 11-2)			S	Goeido (M5w, 9-4)
Toyohibiki (M6e, 7-6)	 K	Baruto (Ke, 6-7)
Toyonoshima (Sw, 5-8)	 M1   Futeno (M10w, 9-4)
Hokutoriki (M9e, 8-5)	 M2   Wakanosato (M9w, 8-5)
Kotoshogiku (M1e, 5-8)	M3   Asasekiryu (Kw, 4-9)
Kisenosato (M2e, 5-8)	 M4   Aminishiki (M4e, 6-7)
Kyokutenho (M3e, 5-8)	 M5   Miyabiyama (M1w, 4-9)
Kakuryu (M5e, 6-7)		M6   Tochinoshin (M10e, 7-6)
Tochinonada (M4w, 5-8)	M7   Tamanoshima (M12e, 7-6)
Dejima (M12w, 7-6)		M8   Tochiozan (M6w, 5-8)
Kitataiki (M13w, 7-6)	 M9   Bushuyama (J1e, 9-4)
Takekaze (M14e, 7-6)	  M10  Kakizoe (M16w, 8-5)
Kimurayama (M14w, 7-6)	M11  Yoshikaze (M11e, 6-7)
Takamisakari (M11w, 6-7)  M12  Tokitenku (M7w, 4-9)
Kokkai (M16e, 7-6)		M13  Masatsukasa (M8w, 4-9)
Koryu (J5e, 10-3)		 M14  Homasho (M2w, 0-0-13)
Aran (J6w, 10-3)		  M15  Chiyohakuho (M13e, 5-8)
Kasuganishiki (J3w, 8-5)  M16  Tosanoumi (J2e, 7-6)

Late edit: Corrected Homasho from 0-0-15 to 0-0-13 for consistency's sake...

Edited by Asashosakari

Did 1-2-10 Iwakiyama fall right to juryo in your estimation or was he forgotten? Or am I unable to read today (possible)? I can't see him there. I thought if Homasho 0-0-15 only falls to M14 then Iwakiyama should hang in there as well but I could be wrong.

Did 1-2-10 Iwakiyama fall right to juryo in your estimation or was he forgotten? Or am I unable to read today (possible)? I can't see him there. I thought if Homasho 0-0-15 only falls to M14 then Iwakiyama should hang in there as well but I could be wrong.

Assuming Asashosakari got it right, if Houmashou falls 12 places with 0 wins, how many places should Iwakiyama, ranked 5 places under him, fall with 1 win? 10 places? I'd say he's pretty much assured of a demotion.

Assuming Asashosakari got it right, if Houmashou falls 12 places with 0 wins, how many places should Iwakiyama, ranked 5 places under him, fall with 1 win? 10 places? I'd say he's pretty much assured of a demotion.

I certainly think it's possible that Iwakiyama will end up staying in the end. But if the basho ended right now I'd see him behind the 5th-best promotion candidate (Tosanoumi).

Tamanoshima got an extremely lenient 2-9-4 demotion two years ago (M7e->M14e, and effectively even one rank less due to sanyaku shrinkage), but in that case the crunch was in the low maegashira ranks, this time it's in the high ones. (Possible Wakanoho allusion not intended...) The Day 13 banzuke above actually worked out extremely easily after the top ranks were filled in. So, unless a few juryo promotion candidates fall apart (Tosanoumi, Kasuganishiki, Toyozakura mainly), I don't think Iwakiyama can rely on much banzuke luck.