Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Rikishi Talk Day 9 Aki Basho 2008

* Yamamotoyama (Juryo East 12) Watch: 8-1 over Ichihara by oshidashi

(252 kg new Juryo overwhelmed his old classmate at Saitama Sakae High School and Nihon University. Both made their dohyo debut at the Hatsu Basho last year - Ichihara started as Makushita Tsukedashi 10 while Yamamotoyama started from mae-zumo.)

"You know he is not in the best condition. But when I look at him, I don't feel like I am facing an opponent at all."

"I didn't think I could get a kachikoshi this early. I think I have over exceeded my expectations so far."

(Unlike in Makushita, there are bouts every day and he is feeling exhausted.)

"But I am just relieved. Now I can sleep much better."

Goeido (8-1) over Futeno by kubinage, 16.3 sec

-------------------------------------------------------

(Snatching a victory from the jaws of defeat)

"In the last few days, I haven't shown a good sumo but I have been doing well physically so I guess that's the reason I keep winning. Today I just did not give in and I did not give up till the end. "

(His first kachikoshi on Day 9 since he made his Makuuchi debut)

"The next goal - winning 10 bouts. I do feel I am maturing gradually as a rikishi."

Asasekiryu (3-6) over Baruto by uwatenage, 21.7 sec

---------------------------------------------------------------

(Displaying a riveting throw against Giant Panda Baruto)

"I even surprised myself. It must be all about the timing but it sure felt good"

Kaio (6-3) over Tochinonada by yorikiri, 12.8 sec

--------------------------------------------------------

(With a firm uwate, no problem winning, now four straight.)

"I am just hoping my body can take all the grinds till the Senshuraku."

Hakuho (8-1) over Toyonoshima by makiotoshi, 9.6 sec

----------------------------------------------------------------

(Keeping his one loss record)

"No, no, it wasn't a Tsukiotoshi...but I had a good timing. That's all"

(On Ama bout tomorrow)

"We are far from over. I will go with a good sumo."

"The responsibility of yokozuna is to be in a yusho race till the Senshuraku. Obviously there are other things like 'grace'."

Ama (8-1) over Asashoryu by okuridashi, 5.1 sec

------------------------------------------------------------

(Unleashing a henka to further pushing Asashoryu to the cliff.)

"I wanted to win in whatever way possible. I am happy that I was able to return the favor (An Ozumo's way of saying,' thanks for helping me strong enough to beat you'). It's reallya a honor to get a win from him."

"He has taken care of me so much in a variety of ways."

(After the bout, sitting below the dohyo, across Asashoryu.)

"I couldn't even have an eye contact with him. I was so scared."

(On Hakuho bout tomorrow)

"I don't think I have been doing badly against him so I will put out everything I have."

(On the yusho)

"Not everyone gets a chance to win one so I want to do my best as well."

Asashoryu (5-4) losing to Ama

-----------------------------------

(Remaining silent for over a minute before he opened his mouth a little)

"Did he actually put his hand down? I thought there was a matta."

(Asked why he didn't slap his mawashi like usual prior to the last shikiri)

"I couldn't any more. My arm hurts so much. I still have a will but..."

Musashigawa oyakata, Kyokai chairman

----------------------------------------------

(On Asashoryu)

"He has no more fighting spirit like he used to show us. Remember his intensity the day before he suffered a loss. It's all gone now."

Takasago oyakata, Asashoryu's shisho

---------------------------------------------

(On Asashoryu's possible kyujo)

"He is saying to give him little more time to think about it. We will know for sure tomorrow morning."

"Whether he is an ozeki or yokozuna, if he still wants to compete, then I want to let him do it. I have no problem with it."

(Have you actually talked to him then???)

"......."

Hanaregoma oyakata, Chief Dohyo judge

-----------------------------------------------

(On Asashoryu's tachiai)

"He was like I have never seen before. I don't recall seeing him like that." 

Musashigawa oyakata, Kyokai chairman

---------------------------------------------

(On Asashoryu)

"By looking at his sumo today, it's as if he had it for this basho. If he wants to go on kyujo, I want him to show his resolve by training hard and be fully prepared before he comes back again the next basho. He is still young enough."

(Implying there will be no retirement issue after this basho.)

==============

Mushsashigwa oyakata called in Deputy Director of Judging Takanohana oyakata and Asashoryu's shisho Takasago oyakata to give a stern warning to each.

Takanohana oyakata as Chief Dohyo judge has been letting go of rikishi not property putting both fists down on the dohyo.

"When he was active, he used to do it properly. But he is showing no sign of stopping any infraction. I told him that his seniors at the Judging group have been calling them religiously so he should follow their lead. I want him to be more vigilante and I want him to have courage to call it when he sees it," Musashigawa oyakata said. "He told me he understood my request."

Takanohana was of an opinion that as long as both rikishi have their breathing mutually "matched", a proper shikis has been executed. "I have nothing to say on this regard," Takanohana said to reporters afterwards.

To Takasago oyakata, Musashigawa oyakata told him to get the yokozuna to follow through on the shikiri properly. "A yokozuna is an example to all rikishi and he should be properly coached," Musashigawa oyakata added.

Yusho Race Board

----------------

Makuuchi:

1 loss - Hakuho, Ama, Goeido

2 losses - Kotomitsuki

Juryo:

1 loss - Yamamotoyama

I am happy that I was able to return the favor (An Ozumo's way of saying,' thanks for helping me strong enough to beat you'). It's reallya a honor to get a win from him."

I would love to know that saying in Japanese (In jonokuchi...)

Thank you Jonosuke先生. :)

A bit more:

Takamisakari, after hearing his junior from Nichi-dai Yamamotoyama got a KK: "It's great that more guys are becoming popular.. I wonder what will happen when we face each other on the dohyo.."

Kisenosato, finally stringing two straight wins this basho:"The tachiai scrutiny will probably continue. I'll try to improve by remembering my shin-deshi days.."

Chiyotaikai, immediately after winning exactly the way he planned to (by henka..): " Miyabiyama had that 'I can't believe you just did THAT..' look so I absent-mindedly told him I'm sorry.."

A disappointed Miyabiyama, losing to Ozeki Chiyotaikai's henka: " He was angry when Kotoshougiku henka'd him, so I expected him to come out with straight-forward sumo.."

KaioU, showing his current strength while grasping the right upper arm: "Tochinonada has a strong shitatenage so I was careful. "

Kotomitsuki, swiftly disposing of Kakuryuu with yorikiri: "For a second, I thought someone called a matta. It was a good thing I didn't stop and just plowed on instead.."

Toyonoshima, overwhelmed by Hakuhou: "He got his right hand inside well. From there, all I could do was wriggle.."

Edited by Kintamayama

I am happy that I was able to return the favor (An Ozumo's way of saying,' thanks for helping me strong enough to beat you'). It's reallya a honor to get a win from him."

Perhaps you can use it the next time, you beat Asashoryu.

安馬 「恩返しができてよかった。勝てて光栄です」

安馬 「恩返しができてよかった。勝てて光栄です」

or as Google Translate would say: The horse fell, "Grateful to be good. Win the honor."

I would love to know that saying in Japanese (Gyoji...)

安馬 「恩返しができてよかった。勝てて光栄です」

Sure. Arm wrestling. (In jonokuchi...)

I want him to be more vigilante...

Somehow I doubt that... (Sign of disapproval...)

(PS. Thanks for providing the comments...)