Sign in to follow this  
Tamanaogijima

Kyokai Departments / translation of assignments

As I was updating the Kyokai assignments in the Oyakata Gallery I stumbled over some assigments/departments I didn't quite understand. Could the Japanese-speaking souls please confirm or correct my translations below?

協会全般 - (Member of) Support Personnel's Association

協会在勤 - (Member of) Workers' Association

Are these some kind of trade unions?

全国維持員会会長 - Chairman of the National Maintenance Association

Social insurance department?

As always, thanks a lot in advance!

Could that be "Chairman of the National Preservation Association"?

協会全般 - (Member of) Support Personnel's Association

協会在勤 - (Member of) Workers' Association

Are these some kind of trade unions?

Actually these do not refer to any committee or the membership

協会全般 - this simply refers to responsible for all general operations of the Kyoka, perhaps if we need to have a title then it could be like Secretary-General.

協会在勤 - this one refers to the oyakata assigned to Kyokai work and normally expected to be at the Kyokai office (in the Kokugikan). They have their officer there and they do receive an extra remuneration for working in the Kyokai office.

The top troika of the Kyokai board, Directors of Operations, Auditing and Public Relations are so designated.

全国維持員会会長 - The Kyokai has their supporters club - those support the Japan Sumo Association. They contribute and donate to maintain and support the Kyokai for their efforts to advance the culture and traditions of Ozumo.

The Kyokai as a non-profit foundation has its charter and bylaws. For instance when they need to expand the number of their directors, they will need to change their bylaw. This is called 寄附行為 - literally acts or deeds of Contribution/Donation. Since in a sense they have been initially established with contributions and donations from individuals and business, they need to have a committee to maintain their support so 全国維持員会 is their national level supporters committee.

Wow, thanks. The 協会 part really put me on the wrong track.

Interesting to know that the Chairman of the Executive Board is responsible for all general operations, too... (Shaking head...) Methinks that's just to make sure that Rijicho gets his share of titles.

While you're at it...during the Kitanoumi->Musashigawa transition, I noticed that the title you're translating simply as "Business Director" gets translated a bit more idiomatically in some places (as a compound rather than as separate words). WWWJDIC has it as "senior executive manager" and Honyaku turns it into "group vice-president". Of course, I have no idea which one of the three is most appropriate...but it does seem to me that there's a definite "second-in-command" connotation to the position in the Kyokai, even if it's not an official vice-presidency. (Or perhaps it is?)

@Asashosakari

You're absolutely right. One (i.e. me) should point out the Kyokai command line. Well, the Business department is very small anyway. Only Yamashina is (offically) part of it, too, and he is the only Iin to be 協会在勤 (*) as well. I like your approach via presidency very much. Guess in Corporate America the titles could break down like so:

Musashigawa - CEO and Managing Director (協会全般)

Isenoumi - EVP, COO and CFO (**) and ...

Tomozuna - SVP, CSO and ...

Kokonoe - SVP, CIO/CPRO and ...

other Riji - VP, ...

The Executive/Senior Vice Presidency of Isenoumi, Tomozuna and Kokonoe should reflect their 協会在勤 status then.

(*) I'm tempted to translate 協会在勤 as "Member of the Kyokai Head Office".

(**) I still wonder what made me explain "General Enterprises" as "checking fan and rikishi opinions". Surely part of it but I understand 総合企画部 more as a financial/strategic/planning department. Why the heck do I call it "GE" at all? Oh dear, oh dear.

@Jonosuke

You mentioned a Director of Auditing -- would this be the "GE" Director?

You mentioned a Director of Auditing -- would this be the "GE" Director?

In the current organization chart, I don't see such a title anymore. There are three what I called Auditors but they are more aptly called Controllers - they are Mihogaseki, Minato and Shiranui. They are members of the board and elected but as with Takanohana, they have no voting privileges.

@Asashosakari

You're absolutely right. One (i.e. me) should point out the Kyokai command line. Well, the Business department is very small anyway. Only Yamashina is (offically) part of it, too, and he is the only Iin to be 協会在勤 (*) as well.

FWIW, Yamashina is the man who deals with requests from organizations for group visits. He once laid on a short meeting with Akebono for one group I was with.

Orion

Perhaps of relevance here, the Kyokai has settled on some title changes in the wake of the outsider appointments. The oyakata-based riji will now be known as 内部理事 (internal riji? sounds a bit clunky), and the new guys as 外部理事 (external). And of course the ex-kanji are now 副理事 (vice/deputy/whatever...) riji, as previously reported, with the 監事 kanji designation repurposed for the outside inspector(s).

Normally in business, inside directors are called executive directors and outside directors are referred as non-executive directors.

Also another distinction can be made. Inside directors are elected directors as they are elected (though they are more or less nominated by their Ichimon so there rarely is an actual election but there is always a case of Takadagawa) while outside directors are appointed.