Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Rikishi Talk - Day 1 Aki Basho 2008

Kakizoe (1-0) over Kitazakura by okuridashi, 14.1 sec

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Seeing his shisho becoming the new chairman and winning his first)

"I know very well that the chairman's heya will be more closely watched so I have work harder than ever before."

Kitataiki (1-0) over Takekaze by oshidashi, 2.1 sec

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(Former chairman's recruit winning his first)

"I tried to go out just like usual. I was tense but I was able to hit hard."

Toyonoshima (1-0) over Aminishiki by hikiotoshi, 3.1 sec

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(New sekiwake showing his technical soundness by beating another technician Aminishiki at the dohyo edge)

"I was nervous today. You know you always are on Day 1. I was able to get into a moro-zashi but I was getting pushed hard."

"I was watching Makusthita bouts and I saw them getting cautioned about not getting their hands down. I actually looked at the video of myself and I noticed I haven't been doing it myself too so today I was trying to more or less match with the other guy and I jumped out of tachiai really awkward. But I am happy I got a win today. Mentally there is so much difference between winning and losing on Day1, I will try to get myself better as we go along. "

Kotomitsuki (1-0) over Miyabiyama by oshidashi, 4.2 sec

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Announcing his engagement a few days ago, was asked if he were psyched up more than usual)

"Sure did."

(On his "stone" problem surfacing while on the way to Mongolia last month)

"I can tell you I never experienced such a pain in my life. So naturally I do have a fear it may come back again."

Hakuho (1-0) over Asasekiryu by yorikiri, 2.6 sec

------------------------------------------------------------------

(Admitting he had troubles conditioning himself for the basho due to having both the summer jungyo and Mongolian jungyo since the last basho)

"Actually I was really concerned about the conditioning."

"Today it was more of a flow. It was the time to step forward. But since I was able to get a win today, that should help me get my rhythm back. I hope I can get used to the dohyo gradually now. But still I will have to do all my best."

Baruto (0-1) losing to Asashoryu by hikiotoshi, 3.1 sec

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Got a pull from Asashoryu and losing his first bout as a new komusubi)

"I was nervous obviously. You know the opponent is a yokozuna. You can't beat him once you stop moving."

Asashoryu (1-0) over Baruto

---------------------------------------

(Didn't face Baruto at the Soken but seeing him beat Hakuho so decided to go carefully)

"I watched him closely at the tachiai. I thought if I could get his right mawashi quickly. When I hit him, he is so big, I almost blanked out. I tried not to get a Gaburi against a big guy like him. But you must admit that was a beautiful execution of Uchimuso, right? Anyway all in all I guess I had a pretty good Day 1."

"My elbow? Well all I can tell you is that it's not exactly 100%."

(On having his 28th birthday on Day 14)

"I had a CT scan done a while back and I saw fat all around my belly, I have to do something. When you have a lot going for, it really makes you heat up more."

Takanohana oyakata, Dohyo Judge

------------------------------------------------

(Asked if Asashoryu ahd his hands down. Asashoryu and Ama have been pointed out by many with their "flying" shikiri.)

"He sure did."

(Ama was especially singled out during a Tatsunami Ichimo training sessions by Asahiyama oyakata to properly put his hands down.)

Chiyotaikai (1-0) over Kyokutenho by hatakikomi, 3,3 sec

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Seeing Asashoryu on TV monitor)

"Yups, He had the hands down. When you put your hands down, your center of gravity will get lower so it will make you tougher. You know he is smart and genius as well so he can respond to something like that right away."

Takasago oyakata

--------------------------

(On Asashoryu this basho, after withdrawing from the last basho and seeing others catching up to him)

"I imagine he is panicking more now."

Hanaregoma oyakata, Director of Judging

----------------------------------------------------------

(With a stern instruction from the new chairman to have all rikishi putting both hands down properly, quite a few rikishi were asked to do their shikiri again)

"They are all expected to put both hands down, nothing unusual about that at all. If we keep going after them until they get sick of it. they will eventually learn. We will push them hard and we do not hesitate to call any rikishi in if we notice them not observing the dohyo manner."

(They will post a warning poster in the dressing room starting on Day 2.)

Tochiazuma oyakata

-----------------------------

(On forcing his Tamanoi Beya's Sandanme rikishi, 34, to withdraw from Aki Basho for causing troubles with a taxi driver)

"We will be making sure not to have any re-occurrence of such an incident from now on. We intend to coach them strictly."

(The heya agreed to pay for the damage to the cab and the driver agreed not to file a charge with police.)

Musashigawa oyakata (former Yokozuna Mienoumi), new Chairman of the Kyokai

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Chairman's address on Day 1, straying from the usual Day 1 text)

"The Sumo Kyokai is solely responsible for all the scandals we experienced recently. To our fans everywhere who love Ozumo.I wish to sincerely apologize from the bottom of my heart for causing so much anxiety and troubles. We will be doing our utmost to work hard by each of us ensuring to be responsible for his action."

(Asked about his address later)

"I thought about what I should say really. I know it's not enough but if I can convey even a little of our feeling, I will be happy."

Kokonoe oyakata (former Yokozuna Chiyonofuji), Director of Public Relations

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Personally asked each oyakata who will be lining up each day to shake hands with the fans and to show he is serious by having himself doing it on Day 1)

"I know we have gone through a lot but they all accepted. We need to fulfill the expectations of our fans. We cannot afford to miss even one fan and we need to bring in more new fans."

(However the number of Kensho banners went down from 93 to 77 compared to the Aki Basho last year and there were more criticisms heard from fans,)

"I think the whole Kyokai was slacking off. I want them to tighten their operations," a 65 year old man sai.

(On the three rikishi who were dismissed)

"They kept only slapping down their opponents, really boring type of sumo so it was a good riddance. I want to see more exciting sumo," a 28 year old female fan who at least comes in to take in several days of Tokyo basho every year.

Edited by Otokonoyama
remove duplicate info

More talk:

On the two-hands tachiai:

KaioU: "Even if I tell myself to do it right, sometimes you just don't.."

Chiyotaikai: "Since my first day in Sumo, I was taught to go with both my hands firmly on the ground, so no problem for me. Hmm.. I might even have an edge over those rikishi that are not used to it.."

The other Russians were asked on their thoughts on the "affair":

Aran, who was under Rohou's "wing" when he joined sumo: "Rohou phoned me and told me to gambarize.. It's a real shock!"

Amuuru, who joined together with the brothers in 2002: "I really wish they could stay in the Sumo world.."

Oorora the Great: "Please forgive them (chomp chomp).." "Please forgive ME.. (but I don't wish to talk about it).." (thanks to Mado-san for the correction)

Kokkai, after undergoing a procedure to fix his heart arrhythmia: "During a bout, I am not conscious of the procedure I went through at all.. If I'll be OK in the next two- three days, I think I'll be fine".

Kotoshougiku, dropping to hiramaku and beating KaioU on day 1: "The next basho will be held in my home town. I want to do everything possible to win in double digits and get back to sanyaku .."

KaioU: "I was thinking too much about the tachi-ai. My opponent and I have the same rules. I'll be going at it seriously from tomorrow".

Kotooushuu, after beating Kisenosato: "I don't remember much about the content of the bout. I just went with the flow".

Kisenosato, on losing, after getting into a favorable position: " It really sucks.. I'm still not there feeling-wise and sumo content-wise.."

Kotomitsuki (coming off the stones): "I am not thinking of my illness. I'm always full of fighting spirit".

Baruto: "My opponent was a Yokozuna so I was nervous. I am not thinking too much of the fact that I'm a new Sanyaku.."

Edited by Kintamayama

Thank you so much for providing these translations. :-) I am happy the basho has started.

Baruto: "My opponent was a Yokozuna so I was nervous. I am not thinking too much of the fact that I'm a new Sanyaku.."

Baruto had a few Estonians in the crowd today - the very warm and friendly folk of the ISFC (ladies and gents) - reaching the back end of a fortnight's training at Nichidai, Rakvere bound now.

There from early doors and looking like they were enjoying the show. Great with English given my Estonian 'limitations'.......

Baruto had a few Estonians in the crowd today - the very warm and friendly folk of the ISFC (ladies and gents) - reaching the back end of a fortnight's training at Nichidai, Rakvere bound now.

There from early doors and looking like they were enjoying the show. Great with English given my Estonian 'limitations'.......

Yes, they were sitting right in front of me when the upper divisions came on. I checked with the two ladies holding a big flag, and helped them find a place where they could spread it without getting in the way of the top three rows. I took several pictures of them-- and they took one of me in front of the flag!

There was by then plenty of empty space in the West C seats because a large party from a school in Queensland came in at the end of makushita and stayed till the makuuchi dohyo-iri (you know these parties organized from outside, the planner always takes them out just as things are getting to the top level). I urged their teachers to stay another 10 minutes or less, to take in the return of the Emperor's Cup and the Banner, and then the unveiling of the two newest Yusho portraits. They took my word for it and as they left were very enthusiastic about having stayed for the pics, for which they had quite a good across-corner view.

Orion, off to the races

Bart invited me to Tokyo so I'm watching the tournament also being there propably all 15 days. First two days have been fun. Will go back home in 5th or 6th october to get back just before the World Sumo Championships in Rakvere. All the best to all of You in Tokyo watching the tournament!