Sign in to follow this  
Manekineko

Some more pictures

gojoro14.jpg

Somewhat unusual motif in a kesho, don't you think?

Nice pics!

Actually, I think that's a rather common kesho mawashi motive (although of course not exactly like that). I seem to recall fish being a constantly recurring motive, just as motives of horses, waves, mountains and dragons.

As an example, I checked a sumo program from 82 (I always check when needing some kesho mawashi stats...) in which of 64 kesho mawashi-clad rikishi 6 (or possibly seven) had fishes jumping in the water (granted, three of those probably were from a Kitanoumi yokozuna set...).

EDIT: I have noticed Kotoseiya-zeki always, or at least often, puts an EDIT when he's edited a message, even when it's hardly obvious to anyone. I never do that, but I can assure you that I often do edit since it seems I never get the message written properly the first time... This time I managed to include the wrong picture twice (! ) plus three or four grammatical errors and a spelling error (apart from all those I DIDN'T notice of course...) . It usually isn't THAT extreme, so I suppose it's a hint that I'm too tired for writing posts... Any error in this edit, I'll simply respectfully ignore

Actually, I think that's a rather common kesho mawashi motive (although of course not exactly like that). I seem to recall fish being a constantly recurring motive, just as motives of horses, waves, mountains and dragons.

(...)

EDIT: I have noticed Kotoseiya-zeki always, or at least often, puts an EDIT when he's edited a message, even when it's hardly obvious to anyone.

Really? I need to look for fish then. Yotsukasa has a crab in one of his baby blue kesho. (Huh?)

Just an old habit. You should see me in ICQ. 73.2% of my ICQ messages are like these:

teh -> the

both was -> both were

Etc. etc. I suppose it's tiring for people who say their copy of ICQ comes with a built-in typo corrector which just happens to have been installed in their brain... :-)

It must be something neurological... (Looks around...)

Really? I need to look for fish then. Yotsukasa has a crab in one of his baby blue kesho. (Huh?)

Hm. You are right. It seems no one on the NSK site pictures has a fish. Naminohana has a whale, but that's the closest it seems. Maybe it's a motive in decline...

Hm. It's nice this forum exists, for I can imagine few other places where people would not more than just consider putting me in a straight jacket, when I seriously start to contemplate whether a certain motive on a ceremonial apron used by sekitori in professional Ozumo, might be less popular today than 20 years ago.

• Like 1

Is this the longest thread in sumoforum's history?

It is one of the best, at least...

:-)

Is this the longest thread in sumoforum's history?

It is one of the best, at least...

:-D

I'm proud to have started such a popular and increasingly large thread. Here's my humble contribution to pictures of past greats...

First, yokozuna Futabayama, reputed to be the best rikishi *ever* - posing with the sword.

Futabayama.jpg

And just simply posing... he was quite a handsome rikishi! The text contains his measures: 179 cm, 134 kg.

Futabayama1.jpg

And another pose...

Futabayama2.jpg

After the finest yokozuna, one of the worst... If I read the kanji right, this is Futahaguro, posing with some feebly-built small gaijin... ;)

Futahaguro.jpg

Another yokozuna, Haguroyama.

Haguroyama.jpg

Continuing the mountain range of yokozuna, here's Hitachiyama.

Hitachiyama.jpg

And back again to more modern times, Kitanoumi, current rijicho.

Kitanoumi.jpg

Kitanoumi1.jpg

Not a yokozuna, but a hunk... ozeki Kirishima, current Michinoku-oyakata. :-)

Michinoku.jpg

Yokozuna Onokuni doing his dohyo-iri.

Onokuni.jpg

And back to olden times (alphabetical order, if you're wondering) - this should be Tachiyama, 187 cm, 140 kg.

Tachiyama.jpg

Another pretty-faced great yokozuna, Taiho, doing his dohyo-iri...

Taiho.jpg

...posing with his sword...

Taiho_poster.jpg

...doing his dohyo-iri again...

Taiho2.jpg

...and posing (as Taiho-oyakata) with his family on occasion of his kanreki dohyo-iri. Notice the red tsuna!

Taiho_kanreki.jpg

You recognise Takatoriki, of course, his son-in-law. I guess that lady on the left is Taiho's wife, the one on the right his daughter (she inherited his mole). The children are T'riki's children, Taiho's grandchildren, and 1/8 Ukrainian... :)

This post will be loooooong, but there are still former rikishi to come!

For all sideburns fans, here's Takamiyama, current Azumazeki-oyakata... being weighted...

Takamiyama.jpg

...and celebrating yusho. Don't know who the two sharing his car are.

Takamiyama2.jpg

And here's yokozuna Takanosato, current Naruto-oyakata, celebrating a yusho with a wee drink...

Takanosato1.jpg

...but he didn't mind a sip even during the jungyo (that's his akeni, too).

Takanosato2.jpg

Back in time, to present you yokozuna Tamanishiki.

Tamanishiki.jpg

And this is Tochigiyama.

Tochigiyama.jpg

Ozeki Asashio, current Takasago-oyakata.

Wakamatsu.jpg

And finaly, ozeki Takanohana... current Futagoyama-oyakata, of course... with his firstborn in his arms.

Wakanohana_baby.jpg

That's it for today!

Great! Thanks a lot Manekineko!

For Asashio V's picture, I think that is his bout against Chiyonofuji in Hatsu basho 1983.

...and celebrating yusho. Don't know who the two sharing his car are.

Takamiyama2.jpg

I think that is Fujizakura on the right of Takamiyama, and maybe Maenoyama on his left.

A little picture to Umegatani I

ume5.jpg

Nice picture of Asashio -- thanks Tony!

It's worth mentioning Asashio's victory over Chyionofuji, seen above, made the wolf angry, resulting in a perfect 15-0 yusho in 1983 haru.   :-)

Superb, guys, really superb!

Here's a request that's been on my mind for quite some time... I am looking for EXCELLENT images of the Emperor's Cup itself - anyone? :)

Btw, this thread is getting a little long... should be start Some more pictures II?

Cheers!

Zenjimoto

PS: Don't forget to play Sekitori-Oracle and Sekitori-Toto! :)

Just few more. These are images I got through email from Onnagumo. Especially the Takanohana images are interesting!

First though a Tosanoumi portrait.

tosanoumi.jpg

And three images of young Taka. He seems about 20 in these, I think.

youngtaka1.jpg

youngtaka2.jpg

youngtaka3.jpg

Speaking of Taka, here's a link to many interesting photos of him, including (attention, Chiyo fans! ) his win over Chiyonofuji. This was posted on the ML, by Akinomaki-zeki.

http://www.hochi.co.jp/html....dex.htm

Click on the PHOTO link on the left.

Re: too long a thread. Does anyone have any particular problems with it? If you read it regularly, I think it's the same whether it has 3 or 8 pages... :p

And this way, the thread resurfaces every time something new is posted, and so allows newcomers to this forum (one lives in hope) to be aware of it. If we'd start another thread, this one would soon dissapear from the list, and be forgotten.

Cool.  Thanks to everyone posting the pictures!  The picture of Chyionofuji and Takanohana can be directly accessed here.

I like the long thread, as it lets one view all the pictures easily.

Thats a great picture of two of the greatest Yokozuna of them all but who's the Rikishi in the bottom left?

Thats a great picture of two of the greatest Yokozuna of them all but who's the Rikishi in the bottom left?

Konishiki

Thank you Yubi,I thought it was but didnt want to guess and chance looking silly.

Asanosho suffering in tokoyama's hands. He retired some time ago because of a heart (?) condition

Akinoshu retired because of heart condition as did Shikishima. Asanosho retired because of detached retina and lingering back problems.

Just to inform you all that I'll pause with picture posting during the basho (as we all will have more intersting things to do), and when I continue I'll try to limit the number of pictures per post, so that single page doesn't grow to long...

Thanx to Kotoseiya-zeki for the young Taka pictures, they make really cute avatars. ;)

Thanx to Kotoseiya-zeki for the young Taka pictures, they make really cute avatars. ;)

Thank Onnagumo. :-D

Well, Manekineko-zeki, I guess we're even now..... :-D

Well, it's basho time, but I stumbled over a site with some pictures, taken recently, among them during this basho. Its focus is Takasago-beya and its rikishi, and some are quite nice (follow the three thumbnails to three archives).

http://tk.muuz.net/takasago/photo/

I can't help but like this one. It says it all about Kotomitsuki's mental position right now I think :-/

http://tk.muuz.net/takasago/photo/phtodsp....oto=abc09_07-10

Its focus is Takasago-beya and its rikishi, and some are quite nice [...]

Really great page! The pictures give a close look at keiko session... and hey! Isn't that Ichinoya at first couple of pictures in the second page?

Thanks a bunch! 8-O

Is this Toki with a hairy back?   :-/

Thank you Yubiquitoyama for more excellent pictures!  This thread is a pleasure to read.

Is this Toki with a hairy back?

This one? By the abundance of facial hair, I'd say so.

4_d.jpg

EDIT: Hmm... the picture link doesn't work any more. Perhaps later...

Really nice pictures, thanks!