Sign in to follow this  
Manekineko

Some more pictures

Coo-cook    0
QUOTE (Coo-cook @ Nov 7, 2004, 11:08)

Soukakurai (left) - the sumotori from Inner Mongolian Autonomious Region of China in his traditional wrestling gear participating in Inner Mongolian student

celebration in Tokyo. The Southern Mongolians (Inner Mongolians) do the same kind of Mongolian wrestling as we do. But their costume differs from ours.

Soukakurai (his Mongolian name is Enhtuvshin) was placed second in this competition in Tokyo. The guy (on the right) who won the competition is Hosbayar (a Southern Mongolian) an all Chinese judo champion. 

So is this you Coo-cook standing in between? 

Unfortunately, it's not me. The guy standing in between is Mr. Bold -a Southern Mongolian student organisation leader. Sorry, for not mentioning him.

I'd like to stand between my Southern Mongolian friends and ask them how they live under Chinese rule.

Jonosuke    17

Regarding Akebono pulling the bus.

In his book "Yokozuna", Akebono writes when he initially joined Azumazeki Beya, many people looked at his "basketball player" physique and said he would never make it in Ozumo. A former rikishi and just turned a coach at the heya came up with a special "Akebono" training regimen to strengthen his lower body, especically his upper legs.

This included doing daily 1,000 shikos and three times more suri-ashi and teppos than other new recruits. Plus one other thing he had to do was to tie a rope around his mawashi and drag a truck tire around the training dohyo for hours while keeping low almost squat position.

He said he has never done anything as hard prior to and since then than what he had to endure in those early days.

Perhaps that's what he needs to do now to shed the weight for his K-1 match in December.

KOTOOSHU I TOOK THIS LAST BASHO, THE MIDDLE WEEKEND

KOTOOSHU.jpg

Thanks for the photo Nishinoshima! :-P Could you please feed us with some more photos of the Bulgarian giant?

This included doing daily 1,000 shikos and three times more suri-ashi and teppos than other new recruits. Plus one other thing he had to do was to tie a rope around his mawashi and drag a truck tire around the training dohyo for hours while keeping low almost squat position

That pulling the tire exercise sure would make pulp out of anyone's legs. Good keiko! Tochiazuma was pulling a tire too as was Kyokushuzan and probably many other rikishi too in the narrow alleys. There was a hilarious Kintaro musings-comment once where he wrote some story about a sad rikishi with a sad look on his face dragging a tire into the sunset.......

Onnagumo    1

Kotonowaka and son!!!

I just got this picture from Amanogawa through email. Thanks, Amanogawa-zeki!!!

(Whoa. That kid is younger than my youngest son!! (Yikes...) )

Edited by Onnagumo

Jakusotsu    1,670

Some nice pics a good friend of mine took at Maru's danpatsu-shiki:

tsuna.jpg

I love the composition of this shot - a real classic!

halfmaru.jpg

cut, sweat and tears

suspicion.jpg

"What the heck are they laughing about..."

Nada.jpg

"...as if I care!"

Chiyomaru    0
Kotonowaka and son!!!

(Whoa. That kid is younger than my youngest son!! (Yikes...) )

:-D WOW !!!! That's really a BIG boy !!!!! ;-)

Asysanyama    0
Kotonowaka and son!!!

(Whoa. That kid is younger than my youngest son!!  (Yikes...) )

:-D WOW !!!! That's really a BIG boy !!!!! ;-)

WOW !!!!

Elenrian    0

He is very tall for a five-year-old boy!!! But his father is Sumotori, so it could explain this... I would say he is 7 or 8...

Kintamayama    18,784

Yes, he'll be 7 on the 19th. He just won the regional first-graders championships easily-he is over 50 kilos now.

Kishinoyama    246
I'm guessing it is Kitanoumi, the current rijicho.

I think that is more than a guess. (Showing respect...)

Sasanishiki    5

True, I thought that after I posted. It was a matter of deduction, my dear Whitney (Spooky TV program...)

Higashimori    0

alright, let's just say i didn't find this on a sumo site....I've cropped the site's logo from the photo to protect my reputation (but hey, I only look at these sites for the articles, I swear!).

at any rate, someone had the brilliant idea of a photo shoot in Ryogoku, during a basho. this was the only one in the bunch that can be shown in such a family venue as this esteemed forum, er I mean this is the only one with rikishi in the background.

for sure the Tongan Hisanoumi (currently Sd24E) far left, guy on right looks familiar but don't know his shikona....

post-3-1101046756_thumb.jpg

Kishinoyama    246
at any rate, someone had the brilliant idea of a photo shoot in Ryogoku, during a basho. this was the only one in the bunch that can be shown in such a family venue as this esteemed forum, er I mean this is the only one with rikishi in the background.

Hmmmmm...... Wonder what type of photo shoot you are talking about? (Applauding...)

sekihiryu    42

Found these photos during my surfing the net.

Dont know if the have been shown before, but there they are anyway.

edit.

go to the main page and there are many more and more links too, lots of photos.

surf around the site and you can see

more and more photos

Edited by sekihiryu

Fujisan    168

1973d.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see being blind hasn't dimmed Soul singer Ray Charles love of sumo.

sekihiryu    42
Mitoizumi doing what he does the best:

Brdo_soli2.jpg

hmmmm,I saw this way back in the thread..... while Mitoizumi was the man for throwing salt, his heir apparent Kitazakura has a pretty mean salt throw, I have seen both in the flesh and Zakuras throw has more height, more arc, more volume, some would say it is too much but I dig it,

Sumo needs characters and Kitazakura certainly is one at that.

100msddsc03002dsc030023cv.jpg

This photo is from a good distance back, but you can see the height and volume

(Sign of approval)

Edited by sekihiryu

Jejima    260
Mitoizumi doing what he does the best:

hmmmm,I saw this way back in the thread..... while Mitoizumi was the man for throwing salt, his heir apparent Kitazakura has a pretty mean salt throw, I have seen both in the flesh and Zakuras throw has more height, more arc, more volume, some would say it is too much but I dig it,

Sumo needs characters and Kitazakura certainly is one at that.

This photo is from a good distance back, but you can see the height and volume

I have also seen both in the salt (or flesh). Personally I preferred Mitiozumi's. Possibly because he makes greater deal of getting the salt out of the box, so you *know* that something is about to happen. But I also had the feeling that he used the greater volume of salt. Maybe the photo of him above is taken near the start of the salt trajectory, and the one of Kitazakura near the end?

Edit: Photos removed after reading a post a little higher up on this thread ;-)

Edited by Jejima