Sign in to follow this  
Manekineko

Some more pictures

Mainoumi tripping someone bigger than him (what a surprise). ID would be nice... (Blinking...)

Mainoumi1.jpg

Quite possibly the recently retired former Ozeki Takanonami...

Tony is right. This must be 1992 Aki day 13, M3e Kotofuji (3-10) losing with mitokorozeme against M6e Mainoumi (5-8).

How did I find that? Well, the board in the background shows the shikona of the bouts of the day. Barely readable, but the lower row clearly has Akebono in the musubi-no-ichiban (only one kanji) preceded by Konishiki (ko-kanji is pretty good to read). Three before Konishiki the first kanji also is the same (meaning "small"). So I tuned up my database to give me all bouts with Akebono on the West side in musubi-no-ichiban and Konishiki on the West in the bout before that. There were four such cases. Only Aki 1992 day 13 had Oginohana three bouts before Konishiki ("o" being the "small" kanji). The Mainoumi bout kimarite also fits well with the picture.

Extra lesson: mitokorozeme is a three word compound, mi-tokoro-zeme. Mi means "three", tokoro means "place" and zeme (from semeru) means "attack". So mitokorozeme literally means three-place-attack.

Edit: In case anyone wondered, Akebono won against Kirishima, while Konishiki lost to M8w Daishōhō (10-3). Daishōhō finished with joint jun-yūshō (together with M1e Kotonishiki) behind Komusubi Takahanada. The three Ōzeki finished 9-6 (Akebono and Konishiki) and 7-8 (Kirishima). Those were the Yokozuna-less times...

Edited by Doitsuyama

Fantastic research! (Blinking...)

Edit: It matches the fantastic pics ;-)

Edited by Otokonoyama

Doitsuyama, that was an impressive display of detecting! ;-)

Today, Takanohana special!

Takanohana on a rainy day, in lavender(?) kimono.

Taka_lilac.jpg

Takanohana in BW.

TakaBW.jpg

Taka & Waka in their shindeshi days. IDs of the other two would be nice, yet again. :-)

TakaWaka_young3.jpg

Taka & Waka in their tsukebito days.

Takawaka_young.jpg

Taka & Waka in thier early sekitori days, when they were still allowed to smile. :-/

TakaWaka_young2.jpg

(Blinking...)

Edited by Manekineko

Taka & Waka in their shindeshi days. IDs of the other two would be nice, yet again.  (Blinking...)

TakaWaka_young3.jpg

The civilian is Sugei Kanemochi, their accountant. If you look in the background, you can see the Ryogoku branch of the "Tokyo National Bank". Behind Waka's head, you can see the blue "Udon" sign of the famous eatery near Ryogoku station that is frequented mostly by rikishi who say "ni". The white van on the left is the Futagoyama delivery van bringing groceries to the heya. The rikishi on the right is Wakafutago, the third brother who never made it. He had problems with his perpendicular thyroid muscle which wouldn't flap, and never got a license for his minkey. He now works for Japan Airlines as a stewardess.

The telephone pole in the background is a retired Takasago-beya teppo.

This was the day the brothers acquired the eatery in exchange for a future first round draft pick for the Clippers and four hairdressers who were especially adept with a fan.

Waka is smiling because the accountant just told him that one of the hairdressers couldn't dress a hair if his life depended on it, but he could manage a mean salsa.

Inside their bags:

Taka-you can tell that his is the heaviest by far by the look on his face- 47 barbells and an expandable teppo. Note the fake real Rolex. He should have spotted the "Rolecks" insignia.

Waka- 4 expandable and expendable hairdressers.

Kanemochi-24 units of sushi-flavored edible underwear, and a rubber stamp that says "Moxie". Note the right hand in his pocket, probably fiddling with some "small change".

Lost brother- Fake Gucci ladies' handbag. Or it could be Takamisugi.

Edited by Kintamayama

The civilian is Sugei Kanemochi, [...]

(Blinking...)

And you had me going for a moment... Truly, work worthy of the caption-master. ;-)

Taka & Waka in their shindeshi days. IDs of the other two would be nice, yet again.  (Blushing...)

TakaWaka_young3.jpg

The civilian is Sugei Kanemochi, their accountant. If you look in the background, you can see the Ryogoku branch of the "Tokyo National Bank". Behind Waka's head, you can see the blue "Udon" sign of the famous eatery near Ryogoku station that is frequented mostly by rikishi who say "ni". The white van on the left is the Futagoyama delivery van bringing groceries to the heya. The rikishi on the right is Wakafutago, the third brother who never made it. He had problems with his perpendicular thyroid muscle which wouldn't flap, and never got a license for his minkey. He now works for Japan Airlines as a stewardess.

The telephone pole in the background is a retired Takasago-beya teppo.

This was the day the brothers acquired the eatery in exchange for a future first round draft pick for the Clippers and four hairdressers who were especially adept with a fan.

Waka is smiling because the accountant just told him that one of the hairdressers couldn't dress a hair if his life depended on it, but he could manage a mean salsa.

Inside their bags:

Taka-you can tell that his is the heaviest by far by the look on his face- 47 barbells and an expandable teppo. Note the fake real Rolex. He should have spotted the "Rolecks" insignia.

Waka- 4 expandable and expendable hairdressers.

Kanemochi-24 units of sushi-flavored edible underwear, and a rubber stamp that says "Moxie".

Lost brother- Fake Gucci ladies' handbag. Or it could be Takamisugi.

(Clapping wildly...) (Clapping wildly...) (Clapping wildly...) (Sign of approval) (Sign of approval) (Sign of approval) (Applauding...) (Applauding...) (Applauding...)

Best ever, Kinta!!!!

You're genius, Kintamayama! (Clapping wildly...) And I have a question now - so what's the band-aid on Sugei Kanemochi ( mochi! )'s forehead about? Tell me tell me tell me! (Clapping wildly...)

You're genius, Kintamayama! (Clapping wildly...) And I have a question now - so what's the band-aid on Sugei Kanemochi ( mochi! )'s forehead about? Tell me tell me tell me! (Clapping wildly...)

Oh, that..Under the band-aid is the conbination to the Futagoyama safe at the bank, which was tattoed there a few years back, as everyone kept forgetting it. The band aid is there for obvious security reasons.

Another explanation I've heard, but refuse to believe, is that he was a participant in the 1988 Olympics. He won the gold medal in the backwards hammer-throwing contest. Then, he had to take a drug test. He could not produce any urine for three weeks, and he hates beer , so finally a thin tube with a tiny camera (way before it was even invented) was inserted into his brain, to see if he was hiding something.

Now he is an accountant.

Terao (Heart) special. I've seen Mainoumi's interview with Shikoroyama-oyakata the other day, and ex-Terao, if it's possible, looks even better in civies... Tailored suit, dark shirt and tie, expensive-looking glasses... he's elegance personified. Pop-stars are not worthy to shine his shoes, movie-stars look like punks next to him, royal princes pale in comparison. (Clapping wildly...)

What's this kimarite called? Another kid scarred for life. (Applauding...)

vrtuljak.jpg

Terao practising secret oriental martial arts.

Kiai.jpg

Terao squinting at a sumo magasine while having his hair done (where did that tsukebito put my glasses?)

Terao_hair2.jpg

Terao having his hair done yet again. My guess is that's his son with the lollypop (the one on the left. The one on the right is Taikai eating the lollypop whole)

Terao_hair.jpg

Finally, a family photo. Terao's dad (Izutsu-oyakata?) riding the shoulders of his three sumo sons. Terao in the middle, Sakahoko/current Izutsu on the right. To my shame, I don't know the name of the third. (Clapping wildly...)

Terao_family.jpg

(Clapping wildly...)

Finally, a family photo. Terao's dad (Izutsu-oyakata?) riding the shoulders of his three sumo sons. Terao in the middle, Sakahoko/current Izutsu on the right. To my shame, I don't know the name of the third.  (Clapping wildly...)

Terao's oldest brother's name is Yoshimasa Fukuzono. His first Shikona was his

real family name Fukuzono (mother's maiden name I think). His shikona in Juryo was Kakuryozan and when he retired, it was Tsurunofuji. He then opened a Chanko place in Ryogoku. We all went there back in 1998 for a ML get-together.

His dad of course is ex-Tsurugamine, the wily Sekiwake.

Pic from "Chanko Terao" restaurant, highly recommended.

dinner.jpg

Right to left: (counter-clockwise, if you will, circa 1998..)

Donald Wilson (Donaldnodebu), Stewart Nelson (owner and caretaker of the scgroup website), Doreen Simmons, Bob Reimer (sumogames wizard Kofuji) and wife Barbara, standing is Yasuko Otomo, (Donald's better half), Ray Michel (Bakanonada), some bald guy that came along for the free beer, Rob Hoey, Michael Levitt, Kenji Tierney, and Shane Booth (Okimura).

Edit: Found this post by Abe-san of the ML, with his entire career and the restaurant address and more stuff:

Hatsu-Dohyo: Haru-basho in 1975 (Fukuzono: Kimigahama-beya)

Kirishima, Wakashimazu, Daijuyama, Hananokuni were from the same class.

Changed Shikona to Kakuryozan: Haru-basho, 1976

Kakuryozan promoted to Makushita: Hatsu-basho, 1978

Kimigahama-beya and Izutsu-beya merged and Kimigahama Oyakata became Izutsu

Oyakata: Hatsu-basho in 1978

Second brother Yoshiaki's Hatsu-Dohyo: Haru-basho, 1978 (Fukuzono or Future

Sakahoko: Izutsu-beya)

Kakuryozan demoted to Sandanme: Haru-basho, 1978

Their mother (Okamisan) died from Cancer: Senshuraku of Natsu-basho, 1979

The youngest brother Yoshifumi's Hatsu-Dohyo: Haru-basho, 1979 (Terao)

At Nishi Makushita Hitto (1-maime), Kakuryozan recorded 3-4 and missed the chance

of Juryo promotion: Nagoya-basho, 1980

At Nishi Makushita 2-maime, Kakuryozan recorded 4-3: Natsu-basho, 1981

At Higashi Makushita Hitto, Fukuzono recorded 4-3: Natsu-basho, 1981

Shin-Juryo (Juryo Promotion) for both brothers: Nagoya-basho, 1981

Kakuryozan recorded 5-10 at the first Juryo and returned to Makushita:

Nagoya-basho, 1981 (liver disorder, diabetic)

Second promotion to Juryo: Kyushu-basho, 1982

3-10-2 at Nishi Juryo 2-maime: Nagoya-basho, 1983 (dislocation of right shoulder)

0-0-15 at Nishi Juryo 13-maime: Aki-basho, 1983 (dislocated right shoulder again

in practice against Hattori before the basho)

changed Shikona to Fukuzono: Haru-basho, 1984

Sandanme Yusho: Natsu-basho, 1984

Jonidan Yusho: Aki-basho, 1985

changed Shikona to Tsurunofuji: Haru-basho, 1987

Jonidan Yusho: Haru-basho, 1987

Nishi Makushita 15-maime: Aki-basho, 1988

Retirement: after Hatsu-basho in 1990 (Higashi Sandanme 35-maime)

Opened Sumo-Chaya "Terao" in Ryogoku: 1991

Stayed in Juryo: for 7 basho

Restaurant "Terao" (Chanko Restaurant)

11-2 Ishihara, Sumida-ku, Tokyo

Tel: 03-3626-7541

open: 5 pm - 10 pm (except Mondays but open 15 days during each basho)

Edited by Kintamayama

Musashigawa special! The cuddliest heya there is...

Musashigawa sekitori with their oyakata:

MusashigawaBW.jpg

Top row: Deji, Musa, oya, Muso, Miya

Bottom: Bushuyama, Kakizoe, Buyuzan, Wakanoyama

Kakizoe demonstrating his sunny disposition.

Kakizoe.jpg

Muso and Musa (and two tsukebito) enjoying a day on the beach

plaza.jpg

Musa and Muso being subjected to novel methods of measuring body's fat-content.

fat_measure.jpg

fat_measure1.jpg

That's it for this week, and the next one. (Punk rocker...)

Musashigawa special!

(Sign of approval) (Sigh...) Thank you. (Punk rocker...)

Musa and Muso being subjected to novel methods of measuring body's fat-content.

"If you can't fit inside this pod, you're fat."

cuddliest? try perhaps ugliest (Bleh!)

cuddliest? try perhaps ugliest (Bleh!)

Ugliest? Ah noooooo..... :-D but perhaps hairiest ( boy, does that word look stupid (Laughing...) )

Baby special!

Our favorite daddy (well, at least among the female population of the forum) showing off his pride and joy.

Papa.jpg

Akinoshima with a curious baby on his shoulder making faces at Wakanoyama.

peek2.jpg

Kotonowaka again, posing with somebody's girl and her Pikachu. Any takers on the guy in the picture behind them? Looks familiar...

Pikachu.jpg

Wakanohana posing with somebody's baby on a jungyo tour. That's KaioU in the background, right?

Other%20people

Our featured rikishi Kitazakura posing with a bunch of youthful fans and looking the greatest baby of them all. (Laughing...)

Kita_fans.jpg

And finally, a proof that he is really an (Applauding...) , and from Krypton no less! Still don't know who this boy is? Check the name of the picture. ;-)

Kaio_baby.jpg

(Heart)

Kotonowaka again, posing with somebody's girl and her Pikachu. Any takers on the guy in the picture behind them? Looks familiar...

Pikachu.jpg

Elvis.

;-) (Laughing...) (Kewl pics! ) (Sign of approval) (Applauding...) (Sigh...)

And finally, a proof that he is really an (Applauding...) , and from Krypton no less! Still don't know who this boy is? Check the name of the picture. ;-)

Kaio_baby.jpg

(Laughing...)

;-) (Sigh...)

Doesn't Kitazakura have 3 boys? Could those be his? The one in his lap has his nose at least. 100% match....

I seem to recall Kita's kids are not that small anymore so could fit in the equation.

Pikachu.jpg

Tis in the entrance hall to the Kokugikan. Think the guy is one or the other of Takeminakata and Takemikazuchi

Doesn't Kitazakura have 3 boys? Could those be his?

The one in his lap has his nose at least. 100% match....

Yeesss, but if I remember correctly, this picture was from "Fans"

section of the magazine, where most often you see rikishi posing

with their fans (imagine that). Now, if only I manage to dig out that

particular scan, I'll be able to shed more light in shape of the

image description.

Meanwhile - Hawaiian special!

Akebono fainting at the sight of tegata yet-to-be-signed

tegata.jpg

Ake skipping over obstacles

skipping.jpg

Kyokushuzan (hey! he's not Hawaiian!) admiring the

sheer bulk of Musa and Konishiki. One of my favorite

pics ever...

trio.jpg

Konishiki in all his glory, with Jiyuu no megami on

his kesho-mawashi

Sally.jpg

Konishiki in his younger and lighter days

young_Konishiki.jpg

Musashimaru posing for his shindeshi photo in his oyakata's

kesho-mawashi

Musa_shindeshi.jpg

(Applauding...)

Musashimaru posing for his shindeshi photo in his oyakata's

kesho-mawashi

Musa_shindeshi.jpg

(Applauding...) Unbelievable. In this pic Maru looks almost exactly like my husband's best friend :-D

Yes, the pic with Maru, Konishiki and Kyokushuzan is priceless..... (Applauding...)