Sign in to follow this  
Manekineko

Some more pictures

For a minute there I thought the last picture was Buyuzan and Wakanoyama again  until I realised they where too good looking.

:-P (Laughing...) :-D

Ouch. Now my sides hurt. (Foot in mouth...)

For a minute there I thought the last picture was Buyuzan and Wakanoyama again until I realised they where too good looking.

;-) :-/ Hilarious... I have to say starting right after Nagoya basho, the amount and quality of humor on this forum has gone through the roof -- it's great!

Thanks for the pics -- I especially like the football one! :-D

Thanks guys,its nice to have your humour appreciated.

Another observation Maneki,you ask why someone is shielding Musa with an umbrella-If you look real close,it appears someone threw a black exclamation mark at him.

Nude descending the staircase.  ;-)  Well, not exactly,

he does wear mawashi, the cast (again) and some more taping

on his feet. Behind him an unidentified deshi, and  (Heart) Kotonowaka.

Maybe he hurt his feet tripping over that cable he's about to step on.

Definitely not a photo for a work-safety program. Wire on a staircase...

Anyone care to toss some broken concrete and loose tiles to complete the picture? :-D :-/

Ah, that cute Kotonowaka in Aogi-dohyoiri picture inspired me... (Applauding...)

Kotonowaka trying to look stern.

Kwaka3.jpg

Ah, the same scene as the very first image in this topic! Another angle, tho'. :-(

Kotonowaka in Gan'yu patterned yukata, with his boy in the lap. Junior is being amused by another photographer.

Kwaka&son.jpg

Well, we knew Kotonowaka was good with kids. Are the kids good with him?

Kwaka&ko.jpg

Taking babies on the dohyo for some ceremony or the other. Both boys look terrified, experienced Kotonowaka looks his usual composed and loveable self, while Mickey rolls his eyes in anguish. (Neener, neener...)

Kotos.jpg

Bow.

;-) :-P (Heart) (Laughing...) Thanks, Manekineko-zeki! You have helped me to some of the best pics in my collection since you started this thread..... :-)

Thanks guys,its nice to have your humour appreciated.

Another observation Maneki,you ask why someone is shielding Musa with an umbrella-If you look real close,it appears someone threw a black exclamation mark at him.

OK, now *I* am the one whose side hurts... good one!! (Laughing...) ;-) :-P

Dust off...

This is a memorial pictures section... to my great chagrin, I have no Sentoryu images at hand. (Depressed...)

He wasn't a most galmorous rikishi, but his smile could melt mountains...

Hi_Aogi.jpg

We'll miss you, Aogi.

Hawaian era ends... (Sigh...)

Waikiki_beach.jpg

All three of the greatest, taking a walk on Waikiki beach.

Musashimaru was always adorable, even in his keiko:

dainty_keiko.jpg

Notice how elegantly he holds his right little finger. ;-)

But he was also a dai-yokozuna!

Maru_Yokozunas.jpg

Hm, is he indicating his succesor? (Azuma doesn't look to thrilled, tho')

His_fault.jpg

(BTW, ties between Tamanoi and Musashigawa have always been strong, Azuma singing the lead for Musashigawa team in singing contests, 'cause Maru's singing is hopeless - no new Konishiki...)

Notice how elegantly he holds his right little finger.

Indeed adorable B-)

But he was also a dai-yokozuna!

What a great picture. If I didn't already have such a wonderful avatar :-O I'd consider using this one. :-)

I have a question-

What year is the hawaiian big boys picture from?

And why does Maru have Daishi(?)on a leash?

And who threw the snowball at Maru in the penultimate picture?

First, do you notice anything in common in these three images?

Yusho1.jpg

Yusho2.jpg

Yusho3.jpg

Except that common factor, here are other faces I managed to recognise (corrections are welcome, of course):

1 - Otsukasa, Sentoryu

2 - Kinki????, Mickey

3 - Wakanosato

Here is the common factor in now uncommon company, showing terrible lack of hinkaku. :-(

Mongolian_trio.jpg

And completey out of the blue, this smashing Mickey caricature:

Micke.jpg

(Sigh...)

Except that common factor, here are other faces I managed to recognise (corrections are welcome, of course):

1 - Otsukasa, Sentoryu

2 - Kinki????, Mickey

3 - Wakanosato

1 - Ōtsukasa, Kaishinzan :-(, Takegaki, Asashōryū, Kaihakuzan

2 - Kinkaiyama, Kototamiya (Sigh...), Asashōryū, Hokutoarashi, Hasegawa

3 - Wakanosato, Asashōryū, Shōtenyū, Hakunoryū, Hirohata

Thank you, oh wise one, for naming the yusho winners. You wouldn't happen to have (or know of) an easy-to-access list of all divisions yusho winners, with kanji, going back several decades? I'm running out of shikona to add to that sumo-names list... (Yawning...)

Thank you, oh wise one, for naming the yusho winners. You wouldn't happen to have (or know of) an easy-to-access list of all divisions yusho winners, with kanji, going back several decades? I'm running out of shikona to add to that sumo-names list... (Yawning...)

There is a site which lists all divisional yusho and sansho winners as well as all kettei-sen bouts in all divisions since the establishment of the yusho system 1909 and the kettei-sen system 1947. I'd say it is not easy to access, but it is not too difficult to get the information... I grabbed all those data, and it is part of my database now... I'm now underway of "indexing" the lower divison yusho and kettei-sen rikishi, which is difficult. And unfortunately the site has them ONLY in kanji which means some guesswork on my part for the readings which also is difficult...

And yes, this information should also be available when I manage to put this stuff online.

I see. Thank you for the link, I'll throw myself on it once I finish current megallomaniac heap - all makuuchi rikishi from he beginninng of time, or 1757 to be more precise... At least all Muuchi rikishi found here.

Guessing the reading of names is never nice. (Yawning...)

I see. Thank you for the link, I'll throw myself on it once I finish current megallomaniac heap - all makuuchi rikishi from he beginninng of time, or 1757 to be more precise... At least all Muuchi rikishi found here.

Guessing the reading of names is never nice. (Yawning...)

Oh, if you want a Kanji list of all Makuuchi rikishi with readings in Hiragana and Romaji, just ask me... I also have all Juryo rikishi with readings since 1927 or so.

Edited by Doitsuyama

All Juryo since 1927... (Licking lips...)

Please, could you e-mail it to me?

For makuuchi there is no problem, because that page also has them listed in kana (phew).

showing terrible lack of hinkaku.

It may be lacking hinkaku, but at least they are all smiling this time. (Laughing...)

All Juryo since 1927... (Licking lips...)

Please, could you e-mail it to me?

For makuuchi there is no problem, because that page also has them listed in kana (phew).

Actually I hadn't such a list readily available but I made it for the Juryo rikishi, it has all the shikona including changes. You can find it here.

This is an Excel file, the first column has an index for the rikishi, the second column the first known basho with the (first or changed) shikona, the third, fourth and fifth column have the shikona in kanji, hiragana and romaji.

It just amazes me that as well-built as Sentoryu is, and as buff as he looks, he didn't do better than he did... sure, injuries... but when I see some of the flabby guys out there, it seems that an athletic man like Sentoryu should have his way with them easily...

It just amazes me that as well-built as Sentoryu is, and as buff as he looks, he didn't do better than he did... sure, injuries... but when I see some of the flabby guys out there, it seems that an athletic man like Sentoryu should have his way with them easily...

Herein lies the essence of sumo. Traditional sumo strength rules. Keiko has a lot of maximum stuff that doesn't meet the eye so easily. Flabbyness is in the eyes of the viewer. Onion-phenomenon, density phenomenon and standard deviation (not statistical) comprise a certain delusion. Balloonism pales in comparison.