Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Fake sumo causes stir

storm in a tiny tea cup - I actually think that if his right forearm were resting on his right thigh, and if he puckered a bit, he would look like Kotomitsuki. No?

Depictions of certain 'types' all over the world probably use stereotypes. Japan is full of it and only the over sensitive get all excited.

Anyone remember this one?

An example of the great respect accorded sumo in the land of its origin...

Godfrey King, director of the Anglo-Japanese Society of Wessex, said the advertisement had 'insulted the honour of a nation'. He added: 'The fact that the picture depicts a sumo wrestler who is not actually a sumo wrestler but has been made up to look like one would be considered a high insult to the Japanese community. It is culturally insensitive.'

WoW

Better alert Hollywood that dressing up people to look (somewhat) like something they're not is highly insulting and culturally insensitive

Godfrey King, director of the Anglo-Japanese Society of Wessex, said the advertisement had 'insulted the honour of a nation'. He added: 'The fact that the picture depicts a sumo wrestler who is not actually a sumo wrestler but has been made up to look like one would be considered a high insult to the Japanese community. It is culturally insensitive.'

The Top Gear producers must be cowering in fear of this guy's pronouncements, too, right about now. I don't say this often, but I'll make an exception in this case: Godfrey King, please get a life.

I wonder if he was offended by the Lenovo commercial that aired about two thousand times during the US Olympic coverage.

Getting locals to don sumo garb for adverts has been done repeatedly for a long time in a number of countries. The make up and digital enhancement is different, but is it much different from getting Polynesians to dress in sumo gear because of their size and darker colour (as has been done in pepsi, Lenovo, Hitachi and many other adverts)? Interesting comment from Steve Pateman as well. I believe he has made several appearances dressed in mawashi (though not a wig) at events for money. I'm not sure I see the difference between his "hire a sumo" and this type of advert, except that perhaps he is disappointed that one of his group did not get the job?

a year or two back I understand the Dutch boss (ama sumo) was placing people in such posts too. He called several times asking if I knew anybody interested.

There is a thing on the Dutch website as well. that's my point...sumo is used by advertisers in various ways and in many countries. We've recently been able to read an inside account of the Lenovo advert being made. I don't think having a model trying to flog goods is any different from others, whether they are amasumo athletes or not, representing that image of sumo. It seems strange that one who has made money off this type of activity (Pateman) then criticises another (the model) for doing the same. I think the only slightly dodgy area here is the photoshopping to make the model look more Japanese. That said, Photoshop is used to enhance pictures in advertising all the time, so is it any different?

I think the only slightly dodgy area here is the photoshopping to make the model look more Japanese.

Allegedly primarily make-up, though. That said, perhaps it's due to the low resolution of the images, but if the guy wasn't wearing stereotypical sumo getup, I'm not sure I'd even notice whether his eyes were made to look more Asian, rather than him simply adopting a stoic facial expression.

Knowing Steve Pateman I suspect he is taking the mickey and is doing a Michael Caine "Its a bloody outrage" just for a bit of fun.

I agree it looks a bit rich coming from him when they offer talent for these sorts of things on their website. I used to do it myself before the novelty wore off now I try to drive a hard bargain and charge danger money to put on mawashi.Admittedly I felt uncomfortable and that wasn't just from mawashi chaffing. We are constantly getting the most ridiculous requests from agencies and advertisers that seem to think we have a stock of stereotype Japanese sumotori available for their whimsical ideas.A recent request was for a sumo to scare celebrities on our version of a japanese gameshow called Hole in the Wall but the amasumo guy I put forward was not big enough at 130kgs of muscle.

Few of them ever have any respect for authenticity and are just looking for anything obese. Quite often we are only given a few days or hours notice to organise someone "like that big hawaiian bloke".People still think they dominate sumo.They always ask the talent to "do that stomping and grunting thing sumo's do". Big NZ ex-ama sumo Sonny Parsons stood up to them several times and refused with a stern"no bro we don't grunt".

I have almost given up on even trying to make sure they don't end up looking like complete hoaxes wearing sheets for nappies with dirty great pom poms on their heads.Hairdressers are the worst offenders and even lie about their expertise to get the job.I have given them videos photos and even a rubber chon mage to go off and they all get it totally wrong.Admittedly some wigs are hard to deal with these days I always offer the fake rubber wigs as they take a few seconds to put on and look better than the turdlike interpretations.

In amasumo you need to take all the funding you can get so we do need to be sluts ocassionally.I know I should pass more onto the sumo federation and have in the past to pay our rent but after all the time I have to put in organising people and equipment and then having things rescheduled at the last minute some of these things end up costing me money not to mention the trauma of seeing these guys half naked .Its also hard to have a tanty when a producer put their twist on things and its so obvious that its an imposter.For the lenovo cm I couldn't tell them not to do a close up of the only guy having a bad mawashi day but at least they tried with the tachi -ai run off.

The NSK reluctantly ever allow a sumotori to do comercials.Weren't they all banned a few years ago?

Even the International Sumo Federation would make you jump through hoops and you reach a dead end even when we have made them an offer they can't refuse.We had $8k for somone to do a CM once and the IFS made it too hard to source anyone. I don't know whether this is standard japanese red tape or just the contempt due to some of these ideas.

For one demo we did they only wanted asain looking guys and wouldn't pay the whiteys even though we had to lead the fakeo keiko otherwise the others would not have known what to do. We thought it would be funny to include one of the skinniest sushi chefs we could find at under 45 kgs but he ended up becoming a big hit.

I'm also sure that advertisers want the clients to enjoy a bit of free publicity that the slightest bit of controvery brings.

In the end any sumo is good sumo- and it does make people happy when they see a sumotori and does it matter if they cant tell the difference? Lifes too short for chonmage rage