Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

Edit

OK, this has me interested...

Greenland, Costa Rica and Panama are green which to me means that it is not something to do with the general population or conditions on the ground but more to do with state mechanism. The no data countries are North Korea, Afghanistan, Libya, Somalia, Mauritania, Iraq, Democratic Republic of Congo, and Mozambique. I would think that no data is available because some countries are war-torn, but a few others are also quite secretive, so perhaps it is something sensitive?

Something kept Latvia, Macedonia, Romania and Slovakia the same as each other and different from the rest, but now they have been incorporated among the red...

I might need more clues!

The eastern part of Malaysia is blue but the western part is red. This seems to be the only country that is split so I'm assuming it's an error. What colour should Malaysia be?

I'm baffled by this one so far.

I don't think its education, because Germany is red.

Male/female ratio? No, thats not it, India would match China.

Import/Export? No, canada wouldn't match the US.

I don't think its language based, as Portugal and Brazil are differently colored.

Djibouti is differently colored than most of the rest of north africa.

Guyana, french Guiana, and Suriname are the only blue in south america. How do they differ ?

1980 olympics attending countries? red is yes, blue is no.

No, thats not it. Close though. It doesn't match 1984 either.

Note to Nishi: maybe you should rename the image filename, since it reveals the answer...

Edited by Randomitsuki

Given the hot topic my (just joking) guess is that blue is where Wakanoho can not smoke his marijuana and red is where he can...

Again just joking, I have no idea B-) (Whistling...) (Clapping wildly...) :-P

1980 olympics attending countries? red is yes, blue is no.

No, thats not it. Close though. It doesn't match 1984 either.

FWIW, Britain, Italy and New Zealand (off the top of my head) all attended in 1980.

Costa Rica famously has no army, and I would guess that Greenland and Panama may fall into the same boat.

So I think it is army related (Blowing up furiously...)

Edit: After checking the file name, I see I am correct, but I didn't get the full answer.

Edited by Jejima

* Green: No armed services

* Blue: No conscription

* Orange: Plan for conscription to be abolished within 3 years

* Red: Conscription

* Grey: No information

... is what Wikimedia says.

It's wrong for at least one country. Bulgaria abandoned the conscription already and is not even orange.

There is vector version on Wikimedia which is more up to date

post-1856-1219311365_thumb.png

Edited by salle

Is there really no data for North Korea on this one? Considering the percent of the population that is in the military, one would imagine that even if there isn't actual conscription, there is functional conscription....