Sign in to follow this  
Gougou na Nami

What does Chankonabe taste like?

Good evening everyone :). I had a few quick questions I was hoping someone could answer. Has anyone had Chankonabe, and if so, what does it taste like? I know the recipe varies depending on the stable, but I would hazard a guess to say that it probably is similiar in each. I was also wondering on average how many calories the average Rikishi consumes per day, and how many they burn off. Sorry if any of these questions are silly, I'm just very curious and would love to know.

Thank you very much for the input, I greatly appreciate it!

-Gogo ;-)

Google on chankonabe to get some info and several recipes. From my understanding, the chanko is basically a good body building meal, but not a great weight building mechanism. The weight is gained by eating large amounts of rice and consumption of beer and alcohol. The rikishi exercise heavily before eating their first meal of the day, eat massive amounts, and then take a long nap immediately after eating allow the food to be converted to fat.

Since I've only had the real thing once, someone else could - and should - give a better answer but I'll just give an opinion. I think it tastes like whatever the cook wants it to taste like. You can use various combinations of sauces and spices to season the stew to your own liking; but it's kind of like what they call gumbo in the U.S., in that you can throw just about anything in there you want, although in Japan I think it's mostly of fish and vegetables.

The one time I had it was in Tochigi-ken in the 1980s, and it was owned by the former sekiwake Mutsuarashi. It was unlike any other nabe I had eaten because it contained just about every kind of fish known to man (I exaggerate of course). The stew was very rich without being overly sweet. It was thick and rich and very delicious, and the only regret I have is that I insisted on finishing the bowl, which I was entirely incapable of doing. That's about all I can offer, except that I hope to have one more shot at it someday.

The taste differs from stable to stable and maybe from day to day (In a state of confusion...). Last time I had some delicious chanko nabe at Oshima and Tomozuna.

The Tomozuna one based on a miso soup, there was chicken in it, all sort of vegetables, especially bamboo sprouts, little meat balls, thin pork stripes, garlic, a bit ingwer... In fact I think you can lump together whatever you like. Mostly it's based on a miso, chicken or fish soup.