Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Rikishi Talk Day 13 Nagoya Basho 2008

Hoshikaze (Makushita West 12 Oguruma Beya from Mongolia) (6-1) losing to Yamamotoyama by yorikiri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Twice jumping out of tachiai before his opponent had his hand on the dohyo and hitting him with his elbow. Prodded on by his shisho Oguruma oyakata to visit Takanohana oyakata, dohyo judge, to apologize for his selfishi behavior)

"......"

Oguruma oyakata

---------------

"He had an opportunity to win the yusho with good sumo. I never expected I'd be talking to you (reporters) about something like this...."

"There is nothing wrong with showing your emotions but we must realize that sumo begins and ends with a bow."

Yamamotoyama (Makushita West 1) (6-1) over Hoshikaze

------------------------------------------------------------------

(Sleeping giant awaken, overwhelming his opponent with 232 kg physique)

"Normally I am a man of gentle nature. But he started to making me so agitated, I ended up showing my emotion too."

Takanohana oyakta, Chief dohyo judge

---------------------------------------------

"I must commend Yamamotoyama for remaining calm and not reacting expressively. What can you say about Hoshikaze for unleashing such provocative behavior on the dohyo, "

Masatsukasa (9-4) over Tamanoshima by watashikomi, 7.2 seconds

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Beating a former Sanyaku and notching ninth win in his Makuuchi debut basho)

"When you think all about it, actually he is an opponent I shouldn't have been able to beat. I kept going after him trying not let him beat me easily."

Chiyohakuho (8-5) over Kakuryu by okuridashi, 1.6 seconds

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Resorting to desperate measure, a henka move to his left, to get kachikoshi in his Makuuchi debut basho)

"Whether I went with tsuppari or yotsu, I figured I'd lose decisively so I decided to jump."

(Injured his right arm this basho, feeling it was the only way left for him)

"I actually didn't think too much about kachikoshi though I must admit it was my goal prior to the basho. So that sense I am really happy."

Takamisakari (5-8) losing to Tochinonada by yorikiri, 8.8 seconds

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Two consecutive basho of makekoshi)

"It's so depressing..."

Toyohibiki (10-3) over Tokitenku by oshidashi, 3.2 seconds

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(Still unstoppable, winning his ninth straight. Not even bothered by Tokitenku's fidgety tachiai antics and once started, pushing him out in a flash)

"When he was fidgeting so much at tachiai, I suspected he might come up with something tricky but then I figured I had nothing else but pushing hard so I just kept pushing him. After that I don't really remember."

"I sure want to a Sansho so I will still go all out for the last two days."

Kotomitsuki (10-3) over Miyabiyama by yorikiri, 31.4 seconds

------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The first double win record this year and doing it at his local basho)

"I am really grateful for all their support. Even when I lost and got down on myself, they kept cheering me on saying 'do your best tomorrow'."

"If I could have a wish now, it's just the yusho was not decided today, so I could face Hakuho tomorrow with the yusho on line."

(On getting 10th win)

"I am not relieved at all with this. My goal was and is never just getting a double digit win record."

Kaio (8-5) losing to Hakuho by yorikiri, 14.9 seconds

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Several times I was thinking of going to the left but then he promptly switched his hands around over my mawashi."

Hakuho (13-0) over Kaio

--------------------------------

"I was able to go out calmer than I anticipated. I believe I have been showing my best quality sumo this basho."

"I have been able to do good training sessions this basho. It's always difficult to maintain good physical conditions throughout the Nagoya basho but I was able to do that OK."

"It's been a while (winning the yusho). Even prior to the basho I was thinking about winning the yusho this basho, for the first time in three basho. I haven't won it for two basho already. I felt I must definitely accomplish it. It had to be this basho."

"Compared to my other yusho, I felt I displayed the best sumo. I have two more to go (for a Zensho yusho). I will try to remember how I was feeling at the last Natsu Basho (when he won the zensho yusho as ozeki) and ensure to have a sumo with a good flow."

Kumagatani oyakata, Hakuho's shisho

----------------------------------------------

(On Hakuho)

"He has been saying he wanted to win the yusho at Nagoya. He has been having excellent training sessions."

Kitanoumi oyakata, chairman of the Kyokai

--------------------------------------------------

(On Hakuho's yusho, seeing his star rising at speed equal to the other yokozuna's falling)

"He was hardly in any danger at all this basho. It's been 13 days of steady sumo. He is still young and he will develop and become more solid. I have a feeling from now on you will see Hakuho in the center of any yusho race. I believe we are approaching into the age of Hakuho."

Number of Yusho by Active Rikishi

---------------------------------

1. Asashoryu - 22

2. Hakuho - 7

3. Kaio - 5

4. Chiyotaikai - 3

5. Dejima - 1

5. Kotomitsuki - 1

5. Kotooshu - 1

Yusho

-----

Makuuchi:

Hakuho (13-0 on Day 13) West Yokozuna, Miyagino Beya from Mongolia. His first yusho in Nagoya.

Dohyo debut: 2001 Haru. Yokozuna promotion: after the 2007 Natsu. Yusho: 7, Shukun-sho: 3, Kanto-sho: 1, Gino-sho: 2. Favorite: Migi-yotsu, yori, uwatenage. 192 cm, 156 kg. 23 years old.

Jonidan:

Kamei (7-0) West 62. Kise Beya from Kagawa Prefecture. 23 years old. 194 cm, 131 kg. Favorite: Migi-yotsu, uwatenage.

Jonokuchi:

Ozakiumi (7-0) East 36. Dewanoumi Beya from Shizuoka Prefecture. 22 years old. 178 cm, 114 kg. Favorite: oshi

Yusho Race Board

---------------------

Makushita:

6-1 - Yamamotoyama(Onoe, Saitama), Hoshikaze(Oguruma, Mongolia), Satoyama(Onoe, Kagoshima), Daimanazuru(Asahiyama, Nara), Sokokurai(Arashio, China), Yotsuguruma(Isenoumi, Iwate), Mochimaru(Tatsunami, Fukuoka), Asanotosa(Takasago,Kochi)

Sandanme:

7-0 - Homarefuji(Isegahama, Aomori), Surugatsukasa(Irumagawa, Shizuoka). Homarefuji won Jonidan yusho last basho.

===========

The Sumo Kyokai Chairman Kitanoumi oyakata visited Ministry of Education and Science office in Tokyo on July 25 to submit the Kyokai's 11 page formal report itemizing their action plans as requested by the minister, Kisaburo Tokai after the death of Tokitsukaze Beya rikishi last year.

According to the report, the Kyokai's prevention plans include - 1) respond firmly to any violent conduct 2) removing such "tools" as a bamboo stick from training grounds 3) check for signs of suspicious injuries during regular health checks and when suspected of abuses, to be reported promptly to the Kyokai head office. The report also mentions the Kyokai to launch a "career support center" for rikishi leaving Ozumo but no timetable or details are included for the launching

"My impression is that it took them longer than I expected We will be watching carefully to see them execute the plans," Minister Tokai commented to reporters.

The Kyokai directors voted to install an external auditor without voting privileges and indicated that they would select an appropriate person by the end of September. However the minister strongly urged the Kyokai to bring in an external director as well and Kitanoumi oyakata agreed with their request. "We will proceed with it as soon as possible. We are hoping to find someone with good understanding of Ozumo," Kitanoumi oyakata said.

Since the death of recruit, the Kyokai set up a committee to prevent recurrences of such incidents and the committee members have been visiting and talking to all heya oyakata to make their recommendations.

The Kyokai filed a preliminary report last month but the Ministry rejected their report outright indicating it lacked any substance on the background and detailed chronology of how the incident took place, saying mostly it just rehashed what media has been reporting. The revised document provided by the Kyokai today reflected the specific issues and points raised by the ministry previously.

It is rather rare and unusual for the Kyokai chairman to leave a regional basho to return to Tokyo especially on the day possibly the yusho is to be decided. But this he did so that he could present the report to Ministry of Education. This indicates more than anything else the Kyokai was under enorumous pressure from the Ministry of Education to show their willingness to produce truly verifiable reforms.

Kisaburo Tokai, Minister of Education and Science

--------------------------------------------------- --------

"I'd take the report to be their response to our previous request and instructions. As you all know it will be absolutely meaningless to simply putting words on a piece of paper. The point is that whether they will properly conduct themselves based on the report. Obviously we will be closely watching the execution of the plans."

Kitanoumi oyakata, chairman of the Kyokai

--------------------------------------------------

"I'd like to reiterate the fact that we are taking this issue very seriously. We also believe we will need to respond in a variety of ways. We must keep in mind that we could never resort to violence. We are pledging to rid of violence from our organization right now."

"I have been so instructed (to bring in external directors), I am not certain if we can make it on time but we will be endeavoring hard to realize it as quickly as possible.

Kenshiro Matsunami, Deputy Minister of Education and Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"I did get a sense that they have finally acknowledged that Ozumo too must modernize their structures. We must protect the rights of each individual rikishi. The report reflects their earnest wish to rid of violence from their organization and their new attitude towards their operations and how they should be conducted. It's significant that they have publicly stated that not only they would bring in an external auditor but also external director as well. I also understand they are reconsidering their use of reserve funds as well. I can certainly welcome their efforts wholeheartedly."

Oyakata's reaction to the report's item on abolition of bamboo stick from training areas.

Onomatsu oyakata (former sekiwake Masuarao)

--------------------------------------------------------

"It's pretty shocking to hear this. But the fault sits squarely with us. We should not take nothing lightly anymore."

Oguruma oyakata (former ozeki Kotokaze)

--------------------------------------

"I understand it is all for preventing recurrence of such incidents but somehow I feel we are not going in a right direction. But it's obvious we need to seriously reconsider our training methods."

Kasugano oyakata (former sekiwake Tochinowaka)

---------------------------------------------------------

"In any era, those who beat others will keep beating others regardless. My feeling is that it shouldn't much affect the Kyokai as a whole. "

Edited by Jonosuke

Before I read this big work- I wanna say thank you Jonosuke.

Hoshikaze (Makushita West 12 Oguruma Beya from Mongolia) (6-1) losing to Yamamotoyama by yorikiri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Twice jumping out of tachiai before his opponent had his hand on the dohyo and hitting him with his elbow. Prodded on by his shisho Oguruma oyakata to visit Takanohana oyakata, dohyo judge, to apologize for his selfishi behavior)

"......"

Oguruma oyakata

---------------

"He had an opportunity to win the yusho with good sumo. I never expected I'd be talking to you (reporters) about something like this...."

"There is nothing wrong with showing your emotions but we must realize that sumo begins and ends with a bow."

Yamamotoyama (Makushita West 1) (6-1) over Hoshikaze

------------------------------------------------------------------

(Sleeping giant awaken, overwhelming his opponent with 232 kg physique)

"Normally I am a man of gentle nature. But he started to making me so agitated, I ended up showing my emotion too."

Takanohana oyakta, Chief dohyo judge

---------------------------------------------

"I must commend Yamamotoyama for remaining calm and not reacting expressively. What can you say about Hoshikaze for unleashing such provocative behavior on the dohyo, "

Had to comment on this as I have seen Hoshikaze's antics many times before. He has very nasty character on the dohyo. He seems pissed and appears to deliberately go for nasty moves and late pushes. He has gotten extremely agitated at matta situations before. This incident didn't come as a surprise one bit. Whether he is such a nasty one by nature or whether he just gets so worked up that it goes overboard is the question but he has done acts of similar nature many many times before and it wasn't an "accident" for sure. He just does that.

Jonosuke,

Thank you as always!

You put a lot of work into doing this every time.

We should thank you more! :-)