Sign in to follow this  
Zeokage

Shikona Change?

I've had the Zeokage (是保影/是雄影) name for a long time now and seeing as I hope to be starting on a new path in my life sometime this year, I thought it would be fitting to change my shikona to coincide with it. The problem is, I still have little idea about the nuances of creating a shikona and the image it conveys to others.

So if the members here don't mind helping out... (Wearing a paperbag...) I thought that using things/words/kanji that I either like would be a good starting point, here's what I have started off with:

Dragon: rou/ryuu/ryou

Dance: you/bu

Night: ban/ya/yo/yoru

Shadow: ei/kage

Water: sui/kou/ou/en/kan/rou/sou/taki/chou/hou/sei/shou/jyuu/haku/baku/

Green: sei/shou/hyaku/ryoku/roku/sui/heki

Red: zen/nen/seki/shaku/kou/ku/sha

Black: ken/kin/an

I had come up with Banzenryu (晩冉龍) as a sort of mini-pun, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea. Others included An(bu)ryu 暗(舞)龍, Kinchou (黔澂) which sort of suits me as I get nervous about most things, and Kenryu (黔龍) but none of them are really sounding just right yet.

I had also thought of using my real name (Tyrone) in the shikona as well. Shortening it to "Tai" brings up 鯛 and finding the Chinese reading of the whole name results in 大龍, the "ron" taken from 烏龍茶 which is cheating a bit. (Showing respect...) I was born in the Chinese year of the Dog (but the timing means that it's the Japanese year of the Boar/Pig) in West London if anyone wants to branch out even further.

So it's really a case of too many options and not enough insight into what gives a good impression. I've been using Jim Breen's WWWJDIC site for the kanji readings, but I may have limited my search by forgetting to include "JIS X 0212" in the search. Would that help at all?

Edited by Zeokage

My definite choice would be 吾竜仮眠 Aryuukamin, meaning Me dragon napping. (using the words you like "night- shadow=napping..", "dragon", and the "me " part I added).

Also, easy to remember, as it's in English as well.

I like the colour green. It makes me think back to walks along the Oirase gorge in Aomori when I lived there. Also shadows are interesting and mysterious.

How about casting a GREEN SHADOW?

The reading could be something like Rokkage (roku + kage) or Ryokkage.

You could adjust the tone and form of your avatar image to reflect your mood or the weather or time of day where you happen to be or wish to be.

I suppose we could offer better advice if we knew a bit more about your new path which is none of our business but your mention of it activates ones nosey curiosity impulses.

Never mind.

Anyway, I like your real name. We actually choose to call our son Tai and so we named him Taihei (Tai as in Thaikoku though there is no connection whatsoever and hei as in heiwa).

The new path is simply me attempting to realise my childhood dream and make a permanent move to Japan to become a computer game programmer. While the latter part is highly unlikely to actually happen, I'm gradually making steps to making the first part a reality. I'm in a dance group as well hence the inclusion of that word in the list.

Green Shadow (緑影) is something I had thought of in the past, but I wasn't sure which reading would actually "sound like a shikona", the same with Tai/Tairon (although I do wonder how much of a cheat Tairon is). The shikona I end up not using as my main will turn into the 2nd and 3rd names on Cibersumo. Evening Red Dragon (to sort of compare to the Morning Blue Dragon), Dark/Black Dancing Dragon (as I'm of Caribbean descent) and something to do with water to go with the Bruce Lee quote and I was born in that Chinese year (water dog/pig). Come to think of it, extrapolate from Tochiazuma and Kagemura (影西) is another possible combination.

My definite choice would be 吾竜仮眠 Aryuukamin, meaning Me dragon napping. (using the words you like "night- shadow=napping..", "dragon", and the "me " part I added).

Also, easy to remember, as it's in English as well.

It's a nice idea, but the overall meaning of the shikona doesn't quite fit what I'm looking for. The "night" in there was more to represent that I'm more active/"awake" at night than the rest of the day. Using the "dozing" gives the opposite impression.

If I'm thinking way too much about this, feel free to say so. It's a bad habit of mine...

Green Shadow (緑影)

This looks like a normal shikona to me, I would read this Midorikage if I see it.

That reading was one I used to have on Yahoo about 10 years ago, incidentally. Midorikage is obviously the more natural way to read it than Rokkage. Have there been any rikishi with either kanji in their shikona? I can't think of any offhand.

That reading was one I used to have on Yahoo about 10 years ago, incidentally. Midorikage is obviously the more natural way to read it than Rokkage. Have there been any rikishi with either kanji in their shikona? I can't think of any offhand.

The "green" kanji isn't too unusual...there are current makushita Matsumidori & Tenroku, as well as Furuichi (briefly known as Komidori a few years ago). The shadow one is more rare. Incidentally, you can do wildcard searches on the SumoDB, e.g. green shadow.

The shadow one is more rare. Incidentally, you can do wildcard searches on the SumoDB, e.g. green shadow.

Kagemaru (now Ota) and Kageyama (now Tochiozan) were the first that came to my mind. Didn't know that kanji was so rare. (Neener, neener...)

Thanks for the link. I think I should get to know the sumodb a lot better.

Seems that I'm managing to whittle it down.

緑影 (Midorikage/Rokkage)

舞?龍 (Mainoryu)

大龍 (Tairon/Dairyu)

影西 (Kagemura)

I think I'm down to those...

Near Morioka Station in Iwate Prefecture, there is a chanko restaurant called "Chanko Kagetora". Kagetora was a Kokonoe Beya rikishi recruited by Kitanofuji and reached Maegashira 10. So Kage name isn't that rare. I suppose you can use something like Kageryu if you wan to use Ryu.

Personally I think if you can make your shikona shorter and simpler the better. Don't try to put every kanji you like into it. It starts to look like a jumble of messy kanji. Also longer shikona is really hard to say it. For instance I hate Surugatsukasa. It sounds awful as well as messy writing. If Irumagawa beya rikishi needs to have a Tsukasa then have only one more kanji. For instance Tochitsukasa is a great shikona.

So if you want to use red or black or green, pick one color. Pick one of water or shadow or dragon. Three kanji max on shikona but you can use No somewhere if you want to. But try to keep it simple. It sounds so much better.

I was thinking along those same lines of simplicity, it's just choosing that one pair or trio of kanji that sound right aurally and the image it conveys... I wasn't sure Kageryu was an option in the aural sense, but I'll add that to the list now. :)