Sign in to follow this  
Hashira

Cristiano Ronaldo

How do you feel about Cristiano Ronaldo?

I think he is far and away the most talented attacker in the game today, but I cannot find an ounce of admiration for him due to his diving/flopping/whining. It was disgusting the way he fell down in today's match against Czech after losing control of the ball without being touched, and glared back at the referee. I shudder to think of the state of the game 10 or so years from now when the pros are those who are kids now admiring him as the game's greatest player and trying to emulate his style.

I have almost no idea about the sport at all but they showed a little clip yesterday night in a comedy show of Ronaldo taking his shirt off and running to a fan. Not bad at all, at least the women in the audience loved it :-(

How do you feel about Cristiano Ronaldo?

Cristiano who?? Assume he plays cricket or curling. He's not attached to any heya that I know of. :-(

His countryman Jose Murinho is equally as annoying to most though to be honest I cannot help but like him. When he was introduced as the new coach of Inter a few weeks back he shocked the media there by conducting the press conference in almost fluent Italian.

He can speak Swahili with a Bantu accent, for all I care. Agreeing to coach a three straight championship winning team like Milan is a very risky undertaking, even for Moronho. I give him three months. He will be speaking fluent Italian as Portugal's next national coach. And let's see how well the scholarly Scolari does at Chelsea. 4 months before Abraham sends him back to Egypt.

Yeah, I'm biased.

conducting the press conference in almost fluent Italian. He even threw in some Milanese slang!! Everyone knew he spoke Portugese, Spanish and English but when asked by the press how he had mastered another language he just replied "because I am intelligent"

Surely it can't be that difficult mastering Italian if he's already fluent in ,the fellow Romance languages ,Portugese and Spanish and given the fact that he had a lot of time on his hand.

His countryman Jose Murinho is equally as annoying to most though to be honest I cannot help but like him. When he was introduced as the new coach of Inter a few weeks back he shocked the media there by conducting the press conference in almost fluent Italian.

He can speak Swahili with a Bantu accent, for all I care. Agreeing to coach a three straight championship winning team like Milan is a very risky undertaking, even for Moronho. I give him three months. He will be speaking fluent Italian as Portugal's next national coach. And let's see how well the scholarly Scolari does at Chelsea. 4 months before Abraham sends him back to Egypt.

Yeah, I'm biased.

Were Gant's nationality anything other than Israeli, would you care so much?

Facts speak for themselves in this one - Mourinho has won 8 major trophies (not counting the Mickey Mouse League Cups etc), Scolari - around the same number including the World Cup, Copa libertadores (sp?) etc.

Gant has never won a major trophy.

on the CR thread as a whole - as someone who has watched MUFC since the dark days of the mid-70s, bear a few things in mind - no player has ever become bigger than the club.

Not George, not Eric, not even Duncan Edwards long before my own birth. Beckham came and went. Great player - now knows his move to Madrid was a mistake as does Ruud.

'Attitude' is part an parcel of playing for the club for those players that become outstanding.

In the end though - they all move on, the club is left as it is - the best in the UK at present, the biggest in the world for the past few years. Tough times will come again but the past decade has been one of hay-making.

Tomorrow's players watching CR on TV will pick up some good and bad habits copying any player. With CR, Le Grande Eric etc - those bad habits are magnified for the simple reason they are playing at Manchester United.

I once heard a pundit on the radio pointing out that Cristiano Ronaldo looks like a drag queen prior to putting on the wig.

Yeah, I'm biased.

Were Gant's nationality anything other than Israeli, would you care so much?

Facts speak for themselves in this one - Mourinho has won 8 major trophies (not counting the Mickey Mouse League Cups etc), Scolari - around the same number including the World Cup, Copa libertadores (sp?) etc.

Gant has never won a major trophy.

"Yeah, I'm biased"- is what it says. And I don't "care so much", I just think it is totally dumb for a coach of M's stature to take a team who just won its third straight championship, and obviously, the only way is down. And I also think, privately, that he is overrated as a coach, and that he got 8 times lucky.

Facts and stats from the past mean nothing regarding the future in sports. You of all people should know that.. Grant has never won a major trophy. True. M won 8- true. Moronho is a much better coach than Grant-true. So much for the facts.

Now, back to speculation. M will not be around for the whole season. Same goes for Scolari. Yes, I'm shooting the breeze here, but I have a feeling this is going to be the year of disappointments for the nobility.

Let's see where fact ends and fiction begins, or vice versa. If I'm wrong, you may rub it in for a fortnight.

I once heard a pundit on the radio pointing out that Cristiano Ronaldo looks like a drag queen prior to putting on the wig.

(I am not worthy...)

Best quote I heard yesterday (origin unknown): "Football is like chess without dice."

what did Bestie say about spending all his money on 'birds, booze and fast cars' - the rest he 'just squandered'

Very few get close to making decent quotes anymore. The legends of the past must view today's stars as seagulls following the trawler!

Very few get close to making decent quotes anymore. The legends of the past must view today's stars as seagulls following the trawler!

Our local players, though, well, local, make excellent quotes on a daily basis, prompting two books out already filled with them.

"I see myself in the future playing in Europe or Spain", said the most illustrious one, Alon Mizrachi, "The Airplane".

"With time, other players learned to give me some self-respect", he added.

Back on the C. Ronaldo bit: I thought he was VERY impressive in the UEFA Cup Finals last month. Before that, I thought he was a big time diver. Now I think that he's both. An amazing player that folds like a deck chair any time anyone gets near him. This is what I can't stand about soccer, the flopping. Even the great players do it. I say they should institute a rule that requires a player to be substituted out if he's on the ground for more than 30 seconds. These guys who roll around the ground in agony for minutes, only to pop up after its clear he's not going to get the call and continue to play the rest of the game with no limp or slowdown is ridiculous.

Back on the C. Ronaldo bit: I thought he was VERY impressive in the UEFA Cup Finals last month. Before that, I thought he was a big time diver. Now I think that he's both. An amazing player that folds like a deck chair any time anyone gets near him. This is what I can't stand about soccer, the flopping. Even the great players do it. I say they should institute a rule that requires a player to be substituted out if he's on the ground for more than 30 seconds. These guys who roll around the ground in agony for minutes, only to pop up after its clear he's not going to get the call and continue to play the rest of the game with no limp or slowdown is ridiculous.

I can't say that there's too much flopping going on in the current EC. How much football do you watch if I may ask? I mean, Cristiano Ronaldo wasn't in the UEFA Cup Finals last month at all IIRC...

I can't say that there's too much flopping going on in the current EC. How much football do you watch if I may ask? I mean, Cristiano Ronaldo wasn't in the UEFA Cup Finals last month at all IIRC...

C'mon, give the American guy some slack. He meant the UEFA Champions League final of course (where Ronaldo delivered an impressive non-shot at the penalty shoot-out (I am not worthy...) ). And while the diving really isn't that bad in the current EC, I've still seen some pathetic ground acts.

C'mon, give the American guy some slack. He meant the UEFA Champions League final of course (where Ronaldo delivered an impressive non-shot at the penalty shoot-out (I am not worthy...) ). And while the diving really isn't that bad in the current EC, I've still seen some pathetic ground acts.

Ok, you probably are right - many Europeans wouldn't know who played in the "World" Series last year either.

On another topic, I think the performances so far in the EC really aren't bad - it's much more difficult to advance past the first round than in the World Cup two years ago.

On another topic, I think the performances so far in the EC really aren't bad - it's much more difficult to advance past the first round than in the World Cup two years ago.

Somebody said the competition in the Euro is inherently tougher due to the lack of "chaff" like Trinidad or Togo, and I think they're right. Or like somebody else said, a World Cup without Brazil and Argentina.

Divresses ought to be locked inside a cage. In the dark corner Trifon Ivanov kept in hunger awaits. Much hilarity ensues.

"I see myself in the future playing in Europe or Spain", said the most illustrious one, Alon Mizrachi, "The Airplane".

Similarly, Mark Draper came out with a beauty "I'd like to play for an Italian club like Barcelona"

As for CR. He'd be a huge loss to the Premier League. Up there with Henry, who we still miss IMO.

I hate football period!

Its comes from 20 channels of football and no room for Sumo.

My 5 cents:

a daft prick but a skilled and highly entertaining player.

Game Over Ronaldo :-) (SCNR)

Toasted by a suddenly in-form German team. Schweinsteiger looked fabulous, Ballack like a true leader, and Klose seems all of a sudden back to form. Ronaldo? Took a dive and left throgh the back entrance.