Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

New recruits for Nagoya 2008

Takanohana has recruited another guy. He is 15 year old Nakagawa-kun, 1.81 meters and 120 kilos. He won last year's Ehime-ken middle school judo championships. "I want to bring happiness to my mother who brought me up alone. I'd like the Oyakata to teach me the way of sumo and strengthen my spirit!", said the boy.

"I'm really thankful for this. I am eagerly waiting to see what the future may bring, but I'll take it slowly and raise him carefully", said Takanohana Oyakata.

Oyakata and shin-deshi:

sp-080601-1-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Oyakata and shin-deshi:

sp-080601-1-ns-big.jpg

I knew Takanohana was losing weight but he looks like a gust of wind will blow him away here.

This kid certainly seems to have the right materials to build from. Good grappling skills from Judo, good height for his age (how tall will he get?), and he doesn't seem to be carrying too much or too little weight.

If Takanohana's slim appearance is due to good habits and personal discipline then he should be a good mentor for his young deshi. I only hope his weight loss is not due to some health problem or unhealthy lifestyle choice.

I only hope his weight loss is not due to some health problem or unhealthy lifestyle choice.

Quite on the contrary. It's all about having quit an unhealthy lifestyle.

...good height for his age (how tall will he get?), .....

Just FYI - I have stopped growing on height when I was 15 and a half. So you never know how much any kid will raise. Maybe nothing...

Incidentally, according to Nikkan the new kid was scouted and brought to Takanohana's attention by an acquaintance of Tokiwayama-oyakata (ex-Takamisugi). Over at the Sumotalk forum we had a discussion about Takanohana's recruiting woes a little while ago, in which I guessed that it might well be that due to his exalted career while active he's lacking the type of old boys' network that so many oyakata rely on to find out about talented young kids to recruit (see e.g. the reports about Hakkaku-oyakata's efforts up in Hokkaido earlier this year). Good to see that at least one of his affiliated oyakata is able to provide something like that.

BTW, is it just my impression or is the track record of kids who go directly from judo to ozumo (without a few years doing amasumo in between) not terribly stellar? I seem to recall several such recruits from the last few years but I'd be hardpressed to remember any that have actually turned out well...

Edited by Asashosakari

Over at the Sumotalk forum we had a discussion...

And another promising Padawan lost to the dark side... (Sigh...) ;-)

Takanohana unlike other new generations of oyakata like Onoe and Kise lack their school connection. As well he has pretty much grown up in Tokyo so he had very little of rural connections most oyakata do need. And then he does not appear to aggressively go scout out new recruits. So there are reasons he doesn't have as many but there are over 50 heya and when you look at them in whole, only a few get new recruits consistently.

Takanohana does not appear to particularly like college rikishi and high profile high school grads so his chance of getting promising rikishi is rather remote. With launching of his heya from old Futagoyama, he and his wife basically dissolved the old powerful Tanimachi group of supporters so that again diminishes his chance of hearing about promising young kids. As well it won't be easy for him to show up at a Wanpaku tournament regularly.

The difficulty of attracting new recruits is not unique to his heya but rather pervasive throughout Ozumo. Most 15 year old kids no longer know what he was like in his prime anyway so he is just another oyakata to most kids.

Edited by Jonosuke

BTW, is it just my impression or is the track record of kids who go directly from judo to ozumo (without a few years doing amasumo in between) not terribly stellar? I seem to recall several such recruits from the last few years but I'd be hardpressed to remember any that have actually turned out well...

Although not particularly recent, Kaiketsu became Ozeki from a background in judo. He was a little older when he joined as he had been at Nihon Daigaku where he was in the judo club, not the sumo club.

Kaiketsu became Ozeki...

...and a Sekiwake, Komusubi, Maegashira... and an Ozeki... and a Sekiwake, Komusubi, Maegashira

(In a state of confusion...)

The shindeshi examination is taking place tomorrow - three applicants this year, an improvement over the last couple of years (with none and one, respectively). Besides the aforementioned youngster recruited by Takanohana, Sadogatake-beya also has a recruit. The third one is joining Irumagawa-beya, and it's a Mongolian college graduate, 22-year-old ワンチグツェレン・ツェレンドルジ from the Tokyo University of Agriculture (Tokyo Nogyo/Tonodai, standard recruiting ground of Tokitsukaze-beya normally).

Sorry, not even going to try to transcribe the name...

His Tonodai profile (PDF) from the previous academic year...181 cm, 107 kg.

Edited by Asashosakari

The name of the PDF is Tserendoruji which is the 'given' name part of the katakana given above but who knows how far this is from his original Mongolian name. His given name seems to contain part of his family name as well, Wanchigutseren but again it is likely quite different when said natively. I bet our Mongolian members can help us out with the name.

Interesting. Was this guy any good? I never heard of him. The only mongolian ive been hearing about doing well in the college ranks is that other guy, forgot his name, but hes MUCH bigger than him. Interesting how a heya with one of the few remaining foreigner slots would use it on such an unknown little guy.

The name of the PDF is Tserendoruji which is the 'given' name part of the katakana given above but who knows how far this is from his original Mongolian name. His given name seems to contain part of his family name as well, Wanchigutseren but again it is likely quite different when said natively. I bet our Mongolian members can help us out with the name.

Mongolians do not have family names. They have one name and put their father's one name in front of it. In Mongolian they add 'ijn' or 'iin' to the father's name, and for general use they reduce the father's name to an initial. This one looks like Tserendorj in the way we usually spell the names.

With Takanohana recruiting a middle-schooler and Irumagawa a college grad, Sadogatake-beya has completed the set as their recruit is an 18-year-old by the name of Hideki Nishikawa 西川英樹 from Kagawa prefecture.

If anyone wants to get a headstart on adopting the new Mongolian guy, mark down the name Aratoshi 荒闘司, as that's going to be his shikona according to Mainichi.

Edited by Asashosakari

If anyone wants to get a headstart on adopting the new Mongolian guy, mark down the name Aratoshi 荒闘司.

"Upon entering sumo, everyone's expectation is to become a Yokozuna.. I'd like to do Ama-style sumo", he said.

mongolian shindeshi

want's to ganbarize...reason= to find a japanese girlfriend... >:-( >:-(

Cool hobby...sleeping, eating, more sleeping...as well as playing games.

"what would you do if you get 10.000 yen?" "I would eat a lot of yummy stuff"

Already Sumo-brain washed :-D

Edited by ilovesumo

The mongolians name will be Tserendorj. Its a combination of 2 common mongolian name parts, "dorj" is the same as in Dagvadorj (Asashoryu)

NSK data for these guys:Edit: shikona changes
SHIKONA KANJI NAME HEYA HEIGHT WEIGHT DOB BIRTHPLACE
Aratoshi 荒闘司 Wanchigutseren Tserendorj Irumagawa 179 106 07 - December - 1985 Mongolia
Kotonishikawa 琴西川 Hideki Nishikawa Sadogatake 182 123 02 - December - 1989 Kagawa
Takaarashi 貴嵐志 Makoto Nakagawa Takanohana 182 120 17 - July - 1992 Ehime
Edited by Naganoyama

All three went through, plus one returning banzuke-guy. Order of qualification:

Aratoshi 荒闘司 (Irumagawa-beya)

Kotonishikawa 琴西川 (Sadogatake-beya)

Kaneko (Kokonoe-beya, return)

Takaranshi? 貴嵐志 (Takanohana-beya)

Nope, Kyokai DB says it's "Takaarashi", which seems to be some weird reading...the middle kanji by itself should already be "arashi", no?

Nope, Kyokai DB says it's "Takaarashi", which seems to be some weird reading...the middle kanji by itself should already be "arashi", no?

True, but I still thought Takaarashi would be the reading. The last kanji is read "shi" and appears often in names which can be read the same without that kanji (example 正志 and 正 both can be Masashi).