Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

2008 Sumo World Championships

Hi Nishinoshima,

Are you sure of your dates ? I received an ad from the Estoniens saying the world championships are on the 11th and 12th.

CH-rikishi

post-1596-1210347555_thumb.jpg

Edited by CH-rikishi

I might go, since its in the neighborhood. Anyone know the best(cheapest and fastest) way to get to Rakvere from Tallin?

I might go, since its in the neighborhood. Anyone know the best(cheapest and fastest) way to get to Rakvere from Tallin?

run - - fast

Anyone know the best(cheapest and fastest) way to get to Rakvere from Tallin?

By bus. It costs 7-9 $. And there are plenty of them depaturing from Tallinn all day long.

Train is a little bit cheaper (6$), but there are only two trains aheading from Tallinn to Rakvere and they both depature practically at the same time.

The best online bus timetables are here.

Edited by Kobayashi

Are you sure of your dates ? I received an ad from the Estoniens saying the world championships are on the 11th and 12th.

My mistake sorry. Yes you are right.

Moderator Notice
Title edited accordingly.

Anyone know the best(cheapest and fastest) way to get to Rakvere from Tallin?

By bus. It costs 7-9 $. And there are plenty of them depaturing from Tallinn all day long.

Train is a little bit cheaper (6$), but there are only two trains aheading from Tallinn to Rakvere and they both depature practically at the same time.

The best online bus timetables are here.

Thanks!

The World Championships will be held in Baruto's home town in five months. Which forum members will be there?

I will be there, together with a friend. I was there for the junior world championships in 2006. It was great fun.

Not sure yet, but I would like to go. Surely I'll decide it during this summer, but I think October is a good month to make some tourism in the north of Europe... and to watch Nishi's first victory in the worlds. :-(

I'll also be there. Will be back from Japan just before to make it there (visiting Bart and Aki basho). If intrested then I can give a lift to Rakvere as I go there myself then it wouldn't be any trouble to take some of U there with my car.

There isn't anything to worry about. In the officiel Papers from estonia, you just give them your arrival time and they will come and collect you from Tallinn Airport.

See you all there

CH-rikishi

Hello, Argentina present one sumotori -85 called Hernan Fiorito..!!! :-S

i'll try my best to send him fully fit to Estonia after his visit here in Greece ... (I was stupid...) . I'll make the best chanko and give him only the best local alcohol ... :-P

There isn't anything to worry about. In the officiel Papers from estonia, you just give them your arrival time and they will come and collect you from Tallinn Airport.

CH-rikishi

That of course only applies to official members of a team, not the spectators.

I'll most likely be there. Trying to get a room at Wesenbergh Hotell, the only "proper" hotel I found online (apart from hostels and b&b). Here's hoping it isn't fully occupied with athletes already.

Does somebody around here know where to get tickets?

I'll most likely be there. Trying to get a room at Wesenbergh Hotell, the only "proper" hotel I found online (apart from hostels and b&b). Here's hoping it isn't fully occupied with athletes already.

I think you will find that the organization have got a full option on the hotel and most other beds in the area.I would nt wait too long to make a booking. Good luck , maybe see you there. (Sign of approval...)

I think you will find that the organization have got a full option on the hotel and most other beds in the area.

Actually I got no answer at all. (Sign of approval...) This might become difficult...

My prediction is USA will have its first medal in years...

We are sending a strong team this year:

Lightweight - Trent Sabo - Last year finished 4th i believe, even beating the japanese lightweight favorite.

Middleweight - Kenna H - Possibly the best US middleweight ever. Despite the few years off, still very strong.

Heavyweight - Dan Kalbflisch - Used to be an above average middleweight, then above average heavyweight, now is the unquestioned best American heavyweight.

Openweight - Kelly Gneigting - US champion 5 years in a row I believe...finished 4th/5th a couple years ago in heavyweight.

Wesenbergh Hotel is fully booked but U can try other fine establishments in Rakvere;

1) Aqva Hotel - http://www.aqvahotels.ee/index.php?option=...4&Itemid=30 (room rates in estonian kroons)

2) Katariina Guesthouse - http://www.katariina.ee/2/?id=11 (there were some rooms still available today)

3) ArtCafe Guesthouse - http://www.artcafe.ee/#3 (don't know if there are any available rooms)

And if needed there are also many little places.

If anybody have questions or needs help then ask and if can then I will surely help!

Many thanks for the links! (Sign of approval...)

Now, if you could tell me how much seeded tobacco one may carry before getting arrested in Estonia?

(just kidding, just kidding) (Neener, neener...)

This might become difficult...

I don't think there will be any problem. My friend booked a place yesterday and they had space. Cheaper than official rates we heard from IFS too! (Sign of approval...)

perhaps kenzo could raise this issue being an official of ESU / IFS? They aren't still ignoring you in Tokyo are they kenzo-kun? (Neener, neener...)

Edited by Mark Buckton

Hello, Argentina present one sumotori -85 called Hernan Fiorito..!!! (Clapping wildly...)

i'll try my best to send him fully fit to Estonia after his visit here in Greece ... (Blinking...) . I'll make the best chanko and give him only the best local alcohol ... :-P

Would that be retsina or ouzo? (There's a lot to be said for both, but not together)

Orion, who has been there, done that

Retsina? :-O .. i am not trying to kill the poor guy ... :-P

that is bad wine my mate ... i never get close to that thing .

For me it's either "Raki" or "Tsipuro" ... anything else is bad for you (Gyoji...)

anyway .... does anyone know if there is a ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn and how much does it cost (give or take) ... i think it would be cheaper for me to fly to Finland and then go to Estonia by boat.

there is a Helsinki - Tallin ferry - raced it on a sailing boat back in 1994. Took about 8 hours to cross in a small single masted vessel. Ferry won.

Riga worth the visit if you can.

There are some ferrys which will take you to Tallin ( and back again), very fast ones (2 hours) and some are a bit slower (slowest is 3 1/2 hours I think).

Prices are around 25-40 Euro, a bit higher on weekends for some of them.