Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

2008 Sumo World Championships

anyway .... does anyone know if there is a ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn and how much does it cost (give or take) ... i think it would be cheaper for me to fly to Finland and then go to Estonia by boat.

I'm not exactly sure where you're coming from, but if your profile is anything to go by you might want to take a look at this site.

great site mate ... bad luck is that the dates they travel don't suit me well. I don't have so many days to spare from work ... (Neener, neener...)

i have to find something equally cheap but more suiting

Just realised I have two different schedules. Need to book tickets tomorrow and response from IFS is a bit slow. Anyone know which is correct?

not sure why - fully bilingual organisatuon and all? Hmm? (In a state of confusion...) Wendy has long gone I fear - couple of years back now.

weird sign in process. I give up .. i guess i can spare the 8 euros and buy my ticket from the gates (i doubt the event will be sold-out)

it appears that the media side of thing is being taken care of by Estonia directly which is great news.

They are already on top of the game and I would guess this will be one of the best run,best managed events in many a year.

Just realised I have two different schedules. One says the first weigh-in is on the Thursday and the second on the Friday. The second schedule has them as Fri and Sat. Need to book tickets tomorrow and response from IFS is a bit slow. Anyone know which is correct?

I think you are looking at two sets of information. The one that says weigh-ins on Thurs and friday is for the Junior Championships (held on the Saturday), while the weigh-ins on the Friday and Saturday are for the Senior Championships (held on the Sunday).

any hotel suggestions guys? anything cheap as hell would do ... ;-) ... i cannot find any hostels in Rakvere

maybe some cardboxes outside the arena?

comeoooooon ... where are all those Estonian members when you need them? Should i start a flame war for Baruto to lure them in ?(Neener, neener...)

i can only find one hotel and one expensive inn for Rakvere. Anyone more skilled in internet searches?

i can only find one hotel and one expensive inn for Rakvere. Anyone more skilled in internet searches?

Never been to Rakvere, so I'm hardly the best source of information. But I'll give it a go.

I can't find any hostels in Rakvere either. There seems to be one in Vinni. It's about 10 km out of town but fairly well connected by public transportation.

English homepage of the town seems to be down at the moment. This page however does list 8 hotels and guest houses (k

Edited by bonobo

comeoooooon ... where are all those Estonian members when you need them? Should i start a flame war for Baruto to lure them in ?(Neener, neener...)

Well I posted some accommodation choices some posts back .. so look for older posts in the thread. But I can't quarantee that those places still hava vacancies. There were when I posted this. If still can't find any then I can look for some more places.

leave from work ... check :-D

plane tickets ... check (On the banzuke...)

place to stay ... check (thanks couchsurfing) (On the banzuke...)

i think i am as ready as anyone can be !!!!!

now start gathering up and state your intentions in order to make a proper Sumoforum meeting in Rakvere. I'll bring some Greek booze to celebrate in SF styleeeee !!!!

(On the banzuke...)

I'll bring some Greek booze

I'll bring the Russian tobacco, the Japanese women and the mawashi.

So does that mean that you are leaving the ladyboys and the snake at home?Be careful with the Russian Backy as you might end up too phoned to stone home.

i'll bring a mawashi too.

we'll find ladies there John ... no need to be (more) overweight at the airport check-in :-P

we'll find ladies there John

Ahm....I wasn't joking. I AM bringing some Japanese women.

that's gonna cost you - by the hour or special long time deal?

変態 - I was talking about paying for them just to talk to you!! Visions of grandeur indeedy.

No need to pay in that part of the world, nip over the water to Helsinki - one of the most laid back !! cities in the world I'd say. Or was in 93/4/5. Johno probably has his hotel reservations there and will commute!

Rakvere is ready and waiting for you:

75090t41h5907.jpg

I see by the colour of the mawashi in the photo that the Dutch team may have already arrived.

Sorry for all Rakvere citizen, but I must say that staying in Tallinn and taking daily bus or rent a car is much better option. It is quite easy to get moderate price hotel in Tallinn. Nightlife is definately much better in capital.

Who needs a nightlife when you got a village full of sumotori? (Whistling...)

i found a host house in Rakvere to stay ...

as long as there is one pub and beer i can have a great time. Meeting up with you guys can be enjoyable too ...:-P

Very sad not to be there. The New Zealand junior team had a great time two years ago. I look forward to detailed reports from our various forum members.

they're talking about reports on Sumo John ... Sumo !!!! ... (i hope) (In a state of confusion...)

I knew there was some reason I was going to Estonia but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Direct result of arms contraction in reciprocal proportion of girth growth.

I knew there was some reason I was going to Estonia but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Nishinoshima-san I must say that you are weird. Estonia has some of most beautiful women in the world and you go to look overweight boys there (Wearing a paperbag...)