Sign in to follow this  
Kaikitsune Makoto

Natsu basho ticket sales - new guidelines

As Haru basho was very good ticket selling-wise and interest in sumo has started to rise again, the ticket selling guidelines for Natsu basho are under consideration. When Taka-Ake boom was at its height, the amount of foreign sumofans was quite limited compared to now. Especially in Hatsu, Natsu and Aki basho the amount of foreigners has been conspicuous. But now there will be some restrictions for this. "It is true that we have had plenty of foreign fans visiting Tokyo honbasho in the last few years, lately we have gotten more and more complaints that foreign sumofans are becoming too common sight. We will now try to impose new regulations limiting the amount of foreigners not residing in Japan to 100 per tournament day. We are currently considering the appropriate method for implementing this. It is possible that passport checks at ticket booth and during advanced ticket sales will be conducted to determine whether the foreigner has only temporary visitor status".

"Robbie" from London was shocked to hear about Kyokai's plan. "I used to take even 20 of my friends at a time to Natsu basho. This is really strange. It is not as if the sumo boom has become such a big deal that Japanese sumofans would be crowding every day of the basho and evil foreigners would steal their places or something." Robbie complains. "This is just another example of prejudice and uneven treatment" Robbies foams. Robbie is no stranger to so called "gaijin controversy" as he was sacked from his job as a NOVA teacher when he harrassed his young Japanese female students and tried to engage in sexual relationship with them. "I had my long hair and long fingers and all I did was try to have some fun. Then all of a sudden I was unemployed and couldn't even pay my rent and now I live in a damn tent camp and even here I feel isolated. I just want to go home and forget Japan and sumo".

Mariko Hanada (66) was happy to hear the new regulations planned. "My nephew once tried to go to see sumo but when he went to buy same day ticket at 11am, they were all sold out and there were big groups of foreigners loitering around the entrance. I have nothing against foreigners but isn't sumo Japanese national sport? It doesn't seem right that my nephew had to get back home to watch sumo on TV just because the day ticket was sold out due to foreigners' invasion".

Official announcement of the new regulations are expected to come in the very near future.

As predicted, the NSK requirement that only Japanese speakers are permitted to purchase tickets by telephone has proven woefully inadequate. The esoteric chaya distribution system has also been breached by unscrupulous scalpers who obtain large blocks of tickets for distribution at various points of entry. They somehow overlooked the obvious restriction that should be placed on German women carrying cameras.

Edited by Asojima

Assuming this isn't a wind-up although it could easily be. Is it legal to do this in Japan ? To actually stop people who are not Japanese from entering the arena ? I'll wait for confirmation before continuing as I don't want to make myself look foolish :-)

Mariko Hanada (66) was happy to hear the new regulations planned. "My nephew once tried to go to see sumo but when he went to buy same day ticket at 11am, they were all sold out and there were big groups of foreigners loitering around the entrance. I have nothing against foreigners but isn't sumo Japanese national sport? It doesn't seem right that my nephew had to get back home to watch sumo on TV just because the day ticket was sold out due to foreigners' invasion".

Excellent translation from the Asahi article, except for some mistakes. That should be Mariko HAMADA, and not Hanada, and not "foreign invasion", but "foreign conquest" would be better.

As for the content, it really is the Kyokai going one step too far. One good basho sales-wise and now this??

Idiots.

Edited by Kintamayama

If it is not a wind-up, this is so incredibly stupid I don't even know how to begin venting against it.

They somehow overlooked the obvious restriction that should be placed on German women carrying cameras.

Seems they didn't overlook it. As I heard they are thinking about banning all cameras and will forbid taking pics in the Kokugikan. Photographing will probably only be allowed for the professionals.

They somehow overlooked the obvious restriction that should be placed on German women carrying cameras.

Seems they didn't overlook it. As I heard they are thinking about banning all cameras and will forbid taking pics in the Kokugikan. Photographing will probably only be allowed for the professionals.

Video will be forbidden from Kyushu, unless it is not done with a flash.

I was planning on attending every day of Natsu... I hope this doesn't interfere with my plans... :-)

:-)

Edited by Kuroyama

A source of mine, close to the Kyokai, has indicated they are considering the fingerprinting machines that have been installed recently at Narita and other Japanese airports to fingerprint non-Japanese, including permanent residents. The company is offering a very reasonable price for a bulk consignment to the Kokugikan and the other three regional centres that host hon-basho. The company in turn is offering to put up kensho for future basho, but only for matches that do not include foreign rikishi.

Doh, there might go our family plans to time our trip to Japan to coincide with the November basho. I could understand wanting to greatly restrict foreign attendance if "Robbie" from London was typical of the non-Japanese attendees. I guess the writer of the article wanted to present foreigners in a distasteful light by choosing to use that individual's interview to express gaijin protests to the proposed rule :/

Regards,

Pak

I was planning on attending every day of Natsu... I hope this doesn't interfere with my plans... :-)

Lucky you!

I understand the concern. When I went to the aki basho, I was momentarily standing next to two of my "fellow Americans," and they couldn't figure out who was the yokozuna. But you gotta start somewhere, and it's not fair to exclude the ignorant foreign horde. No foreigners were causing trouble, from what I could see.

When I went this hatsu, Baruto was very happy to run into some Estonian fans who brought him some food from home, and he shook my little boy's hand. I would hate to imagine what it would be like for homesick foreign rikishi not to see their fans from their home countries, and friendly foreigners in general.

This rule will never effect me, because I'm too crafty, but for the casual traveler, and the serious kaigai fan this has to sting.

Yokoso Japan! Yokoso my @#$!

http://www.japanwelcomesyou.com/cssweb/

Sheesh, speaking Japanese used to be good enough to order tickets but this shigatsu baka no hi rule has really got me riled up...

Come to think of it, this must be their plan to reverse their declining population. By forcing foreign sumo fans to apply for long term residency or better yet, marry into the culture, their birth rate of 1.32 is sure to rise. Fortunately most Japanese men really want to marry eastern european women and most Japanese women really want to marry Canadian men so in the end it should all work out for all involved.

From what I've read, the Kyokai and the Japanese fans are particularly upset about the gaijin who have absolutely no compunction about buying the cheapest tickets and then brazenly sitting in dohyo-side seats. Even when the rightful ticket owner arrives, the gaijin will assume a "I don't speak Japanese; why should I?" attitude.

An oyakata, who asked for anonymity, said, "What they are doing is tantamount to theft. And, I don't believe the way they dress. Don't they realize they may appear on TV. Our tamari-seki customers are the creme de la creme of sumo tanimachi. I am sure they are not pleased to be sitting next to one of these lumpen proletariat."

Also among the personae non grata are the Mongolians and other nationals who arrive in hordes and make a ruckus in cheering for rikishi from their own country. Mrs. Aiko Kuto, an elderly fan from the WWII days, fumed, "We Japanese try to be so fair in treating the sumotori that come to our country. These people know nothing about sumo. All they want to do is drink the devil's brew, wave flags and cheer for their rikishi. They really belong at a soccer match."

Finally, though the number is not that large right now, there is an upward trend in gaijin women who have an almost unnatural interest in the rikishi personally. A veteran oyakata complained to the press, "These gaijin women are worse than any Japanese 'sumo girls' I have ever seen. I concede that some of the young Japanese girls today seem to have no manners or sense of propriety, but these gaijin are something else. They crowd up to the rikishi and nearly assault them--right in front of other people. I saw something similar when we went to Las Vegas for koen a few years ago. One blond woman chased poor Taikai all through the hotel lobby. Now, these women are coming here. They yell mumbo-jumbo like "I have adopted you" as if that's license for them to grab at the rikishi or play with their mage. Our rikishi are national treasures. They are icons. Not toys or, heaven forbid, pets--although I must admit Kakuryu does look like one."

Edited by madorosumaru

Could someone link me the original articles this thread is based on? I'm having trouble finding it.

Here's a picture of a Japanese sumo girl at the Vegas jungyo. I think I found it on her blog.

post-1664-1207011867_thumb.jpg

Edited by That-Satsu-Guy

:-)

I don't come around much anymore, but this thread reminds me why I miss this place....

Well played boys

...and it took me until post 17... :-) (Clapping wildly...)

This had me rolling. People in the ofice thought I had finally lost it. Very well done.

I'll wait for confirmation before continuing as I don't want to make myself look foolish :-)

Haha, phew, in my defence it wasn't April Fools in Ireland at the time (Laughing...) Well played everyone! (Shaking head...)

I too want to say this was a fantastic post. I didn't catch on at first and it wasn't until I got to post #7 I think that I had to go back and read again... two more times reading and then realizing the date and it hit me.I felt like a sucker at first! Great Job, my only April Fool's joke! (Shaking head...) (Laughing...) :-) (Clapping wildly...)

I too want to say this was a fantastic post. I didn't catch on at first and it wasn't until I got to post #7 I think that I had to go back and read again... two more times reading and then realizing the date and it hit me.I felt like a sucker at first! Great Job, my only April Fool's joke! :-) (Clapping wildly...) (Clapping wildly...) (Clapping wildly...)

Wow, this was an excellent April Fool's joke. (Clapping wildly...) I was lost and catching an attitude until this post, hoping for an explanation. (Shaking head...) The finger printing machines was a nice touch. (Showing respect...) Well done. (Laughing...)

Consider me fooled (and relieved), you cheeky monkeys! (Shaking head...)

It has been a bad day for me, so it's nice to kind of end it with a smile. (Laughing...)

Wow. Took me till post #10 before I copped on.

Wow, that makes me feel like I gave it away! However, Nanami liked the fingerprinting bit, so I guess that makes it all square.

Well, to be fair it took me until post #17 to realize today is actually April Fools Day... but I still knew it was cracked halfway through the first post :-)

How can anyone get past this one? >>>

Robbie is no stranger to so called "gaijin controversy" as he was sacked from his job as a NOVA teacher when he harrassed his young Japanese female students and tried to engage in sexual relationship with them. "I had my long hair and long fingers and all I did was try to have some fun. Then all of a sudden I was unemployed and couldn't even pay my rent and now I live in a damn tent camp and even here I feel isolated. I just want to go home and forget Japan and sumo".

Bravo! (Shaking head...) Bravo! (Laughing...)

Comedic genius on a par with the brilliance of the Onion, but still obviously satire!