Sign in to follow this  
Peterao

Did Hakuho Really Make a Face Like This Today?

Absolutely! That is not a photoshop at all. That was his face as he stood up, gyoji pointing to Aminishiki's side, all Hakuhou could do was grimace like that and scream inside, "I can't believe I fell for a henka!"

OSK200803120070.jpg

Aminishiki "Gyoji-san I think Hakuho's found the gunbai you lost."

I think that's the MOST UNATTRACTIVE photo of Hakuho that I've ever seen!!! (Applauding...) That's a terrible look for him!! (Applauding...)

We often talk about that all elusive grace quality of yokozuna.

Asashoryu gets crucified every time he raises his voice or results to rough tactics (to his competitors, tsukebito, media types). He goes on 'revenge' de-geiko specifically targetting those who didn't know better to display his brand of yokozuna justice.

Everyone knows about all that and no one unknowningly and unwittingly rubs him in the wrong way. Even his oyakata and heya supporters know of his "temper" or character. There is a definite tension around him as if to tell the whole world he won't take fools easiy or even take prisoners.

But can we say the same thing about Hakuho?

Would Aminishiki unleash such a trick against Asashoryu? I have no doubt that even unintentionally he would attempt such trick to Asashoryu as he surely knows what will happen to him in due course.

According to a report,. after the loss yesterday, Hakuho had to endure over 10 minutes waiting for his tsukebito to bring him a full set of kimono attire while just covering himself with a thin overall. His tsukebito forgot to prepare for his return in time. Can you imagine if the same thing happened to Asashoryu what will happen to that group of poor tsukebito last night and in the future? The report goes on to say that at his heya, there are supporters staying and partying late into night as well.

I suspect people surrounding him may be taking advantage of his gentle nature and are taking for granted that he is a yokozuna expected to win every bout. There are too much of loose atmosphere around Hakuho and Miyagino Beya by all accounts.

Hakuho is still relatively new yokozuna but to keep winning he needs to establish more tension around him that he means business and expects the same from those around him. In some ways he needs to be more like Asashoryu. One does not need to resort to selfish and rude behaviors to maintain strict disciplines and intensity and he should start expecting to be treated like yokozuna from those close to him by now.

Thanks Jonosuke....

made think about that with wider view.

I guess playing in role of "White Yokozuno" is kinda over.

Absolutely not. No one has implied that you cannot do both. Most of the best "White Yokozuna" before Hakuho seem to have tread a very fine line between grace and utter arrogance.

On another note, in video it looks like the grimace of some alien creature pulling back its flesh-hood, as if he was part-cobra. Once the mage falls back, his face instantaneously regains its composure. In a way he displayed very much hinkaku to pull himself together in the middle of a rage! Someone else may have gone and kicked a zabuton (Applauding...)

And on yet another note, he looked a bit like Takanohana during his famous emotional breaking point after beating Musashimaru (?) with only one leg. Of course the pain and intensity (of 2 consecutive yusho-deciding bouts with traumatic joint injury) was quite different from the ego-pain of humiliating henka. I just think it's funny that when he did show emotion, he so resembled the role model.

I guess playing in role of "White Yokozuno" is kinda over.

Absolutely not. No one has implied that you cannot do both. Most of the best "White Yokozuna" before Hakuho seem to have tread a very fine line between grace and utter arrogance.

On another note, in video it looks like the grimace of some alien creature pulling back its flesh-hood, as if he was part-cobra. Once the mage falls back, his face instantaneously regains its composure. In a way he displayed very much hinkaku to pull himself together in the middle of a rage! Someone else may have gone and kicked a zabuton (Applauding...)

I agree that he kept his composure well. That facial expression was only natural for one who isn't used to keeping an unemotional face all the time.

BTW, I saw one aquamarine zabuton tossed in there with the win, even though it was a kinboshi. I am impressed that most in attendance realized it was just a henka win. Not that you should throw them even for good wins of course...

Not that you should throw them even for good wins of course...

Pffff, of course you should :P It adds to the effect on the telly !!! :D

OK... Yes, I think it looks really funny too! And they're just pillows after all.

i don't think Hakuho is as gentle as it's been mentioned. having watched him three times over 2 years doing asageiko i can assure you he's far from gentle there. even at his young age, he's a leader type, he runs things, he's on the giving end, he's a badass. he's just playing his cards right over the other yokozuna. nasties always group around sports stars, such as boxers, that's what they do, and both yokozunas prolly suffer from this problem.

as for aminishiki trying that henka against asashoryu... ha. you're right, i don't think he would. i loathe henkas but that was a beautiful one.

OK... Yes, I think it looks really funny too! And they're just pillows after all.

Hard, flat, spinning pillows that could, in your mother's words "poke someone's eye out".

There were some lovely closeups today (Day 5) as Hakuho prepared to go in for his dohyo-iri -- Aminishiki was back as his tsuyu-harai!

OSK200803120070.jpg

shocked.....angered............too late ........frustrated

Well, he made this face today, and he won..

20080314-1559131-1-L.jpg

looks like he is displaying childish attitude of "winner takes all"

c1c8ce1785e9d4f520634cf8b19eaff2.jpg416fcb3b223f63972db6889e0be73c65.jpg

winner's attitude

Edited by Dagvaa

20080314-1559131-1-L.jpg

The Hak closes his eyes and barges through the mere mortals just as the nice old lady spots the ring she just dropped.

To quote myself:

I think Hakuho has one of the most photogenicly expressive faces of all the rikishi. Almost every picture of his face cries out for a caption on what he is thinking.