Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Another hello

Another new member here. I've enjoyed watching ozumo for years. I get TVJapan (NHK) at home and watch it live in Japanese both because I love the sport and as listening practice (kimarite is great for learning action verb kanji!) instead of just news, historical dramas and soap operas. I enjoy ozumo as part of my overall interest in Japanese language and culture (I also study zen, sado, etc.). For the past two years I've used Japanese at work which _really_ helps to learn it, especially reading and writing -- I tried for years before that but without the forced daily usage I never got very far. My speaking and listening skills are still pretty poor but they're getting better.

One of these days my office will send me to their Tokyo branch and hopefully it'll coincide with a honbasho. If not, I'll have to burn some vacation time to see some zabuton frisbees. Which reminds me I still need work to be able to sit on a cushion for a couple of hours (I envy my kids who can sit seiza without any effort while decades of chairs have given me the usual poor north american leg flexibility).

Harry

Zabuton Frisbee is forbidden (Neener, neener...)

That overall interest in Japanese culture... reminds me of the newbies at Japanology ;-)

Indeed. Sumo helps a lot studying Japanese. Once able to read the full Banzuke- you got it. :-)

はじめまして。(^_^)

Zabuton Frisbee is forbidden (Neener, neener...)

That overall interest in Japanese culture... reminds me of the newbies at Japanology ;-)

Indeed. Sumo helps a lot studying Japanese. Once able to read the full Banzuke- you got it. :-)

はじめまして。(^_^)

I know it is illegal (I have seen the warning on tickets not to throw anything) which is why I said I'd like to see it (a Yokozuna upset) in person but wouldn't dare do so myself for fear of being tossed out. Seems kind of like the Canadian equivalent of throwing caps in the rink after a hattrick in hockey. That said, a yokozuna defeating a yokozuna doesn't seem like an upset so I'm not sure why they threw them in the ring at that time, 最後の試合の後。 After Ama defeated Hakuho it made sense, though he seems to have his number.

I'm just 'studying' in my spare time. I wish I'd had this much of an interest when I was in school as that would have been an interesting arts elective.

Reading the Banzuke in kanji is hard just because of the names. Names are the hardest thing to read in Japanese and shikona are particularly difficult, giving the IME fits as well. Known rikisi's shikona may be memorized but for new ones there is really no way to know the correct reading until you hear it or see it in kana.

始めまして。

どうぞ宜しく。

返事を有難う御座いました。

Harry

Once able to read the full Banzuke- you got it. (Sign of disapproval...)

I'd say when you are able to write it from memory... (I surrender...)

(Clapping wildly...) to the forum and greetings from Germany (Clapping wildly...)