Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

On 20/02/2021 at 17:09, Jakusotsu said:

When the block box appears, deleting the cookies and immediately refreshing the page without closing works for me. (FF)

Tried that - does not work for me :-(

Try Ctrl-F5 instead of a simple refresh.

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Try Ctrl-F5 instead of a simple refresh.

Not even that, sadly.

Posted (edited)
On 20/02/2021 at 02:48, Asapedroryu said:

I can read the Japan Times in my mobile using Firefox with the steps below. Haven't tried in a PC or in another browser.

1 - Open the link as normal.

2 - Switch off the Internet of your phone as soon as the page loads and before the login pop up shows up.

3 - Read the article.

Note: After about 10 seconds you can switch the Internet back on and the pop up won't show (at least for me), but it will show up if you move to a different page.

@Jejima As stated by Asapedrotyu here above. It works 100% well. I'm doing it on my PC so it works either with your phone (as does Asapedroryu) or with your computer (as I do).

Edited by Athenayama

I notice that the Kita Senju arts/culture organization よみうりカルチャー北千住 is offering a six month course (perhaps once a month) on "Introduction to Sumo" to be taught by ex-makushita Tooyama Katsunori (38 basho in makushita).  I'm afraid I cannot make it.  But it sounds like fun.  https://www.ync.ne.jp/kitasenju/kouza/202104-08932104.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

It's got to be weird times where the two most likely yokozuna candidates on the banzuke might paradoxically have their careers shortened if they get the rope.

That's an ever-present reality. It's been discussed on the forum a number of times whether Yokozuna promotion can be a curse as it 'robs' the rikishi of the chance for a controlled decline phase, something which an Ozeki can do so long as his pride allows it. Hakuho may enjoy the luxury of lengthy kyujo, but there's only so long he will get away with it before he's encouraged to retire. An ex-Ozeki can fall down the banzuke indefinitely if he wishes.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

That's an ever-present reality. It's been discussed on the forum a number of times whether Yokozuna promotion can be a curse as it 'robs' the rikishi of the chance for a controlled decline phase, something which an Ozeki can do so long as his pride allows it. Hakuho may enjoy the luxury of lengthy kyujo, but there's only so long he will get away with it before he's encouraged to retire. An ex-Ozeki can fall down the banzuke indefinitely if he wishes.

Are Terunofuji and Takakeisho the ones at the highest risk so far? I can't imagine Kisenosato bearing this much risk of injury at the time of his promotion (that he actually got injured later on was arguably a "freak" result), whereas given Terunofuji and Takakeisho's histories, they seem to me to be more perilous choices for promotion than most.

Edited by Seiyashi

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Are Terunofuji and Takakeisho the ones at the highest risk so far? I can't imagine Kisenosato bearing this much risk of injury at the time of his promotion (that he actually got injured later on was arguably a "freak" result), whereas given Terunofuji and Takakeisho's histories, they seem to me to be more perilous choices for promotion than most.

I see what you mean. There have been some guys promoted at late stages of their career when presumably it was known their tenures wouldn't last long. Kotozakura and Mienoumi spring to mind. I guess we can't say their careers were cut short by getting the rope, but they were given the rope in the knowledge they might not wear it much.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I see what you mean. There have been some guys promoted at late stages of their career when presumably it was known their tenures wouldn't last long. Kotozakura and Mienoumi spring to mind. I guess we can't say their careers were cut short by getting the rope, but they were given the rope in the knowledge they might not wear it much.

Yeah. I guess the point is that Takakeisho, more than Terunofuji, might actually be done an active disfavour by being given the rope (Terunofuji's on borrowed time anyway so without the rope it might not make a difference), unless they are willing to overlook mid-basho withdrawals or bare MKs caused by injury as with Onokuni and Wakanohana III, although those two aren't exactly inspiring yokozuna precedents.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Seiyashi said:

Yeah. I guess the point is that Takakeisho, more than Terunofuji, might actually be done an active disfavour by being given the rope (Terunofuji's on borrowed time anyway so without the rope it might not make a difference), unless they are willing to overlook mid-basho withdrawals or bare MKs caused by injury as with Onokuni and Wakanohana III, although those two aren't exactly inspiring yokozuna precedents.

Yes, I can see the argument for Takakeisho. I think he can compete at Y/O level for a good five years yet, but I don’t see him lasting far into his 30s as a Yokozuna. He could comfortably slip back into hiramaku and prolong his career if he tops out at Ozeki though.

Terunofuji on the other hand is already in the late-career promotion category I feel, being closer to 30 than 29 now. Injuries or not, you'd have to expect his Yokozuna reign to be relatively short anyway. He falls into that category of rikishi for whom the tsuna is the cherry on the career cake and not the thing that will define his career overall, like younger promotees who get to own an era.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

I could be wrong, but when I think of which current makuuchi rikishi might have a "just trying to have a lengthy career by not taking too many risks" mindset, Takakeisho would end up at or near the very bottom of the list. I really don't think becoming the next Kotoshogiku is what he's aiming at.