Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

17 hours ago, sumojoann said:

THERE IS A LARGE ACTIVE THREAD ALREADY ESTABLISHED UNDER THE TITLE "ARAIWA" IN THE "FEATURED RIKISHI" SECTION OF SF. 

Indeed there is, and John knows a good story when he sees it. 

If you liked the article, you'll love the thread. More info direct from the horse's mouth and way more pics. 

What are you waiting for?

3 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/12/23/sumo/sumo-lower-divisions/

did I miss this John Gunning gem posted elsewhere?

It was also posted under the thread with the title "Araiwa" in the "Featured Rikishi" section of SF.  This thread has lots of pictures and some newspaper clippings as well as posts by Cal Martin (Araiwa) himself.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2020 at 17:47, Gaijingai said:

Ok, so I can’t spell while still in bed before getting for the day! I was still half asleep!

No one called you on that.  Perhaps it would be more efficient to simply edit your original post.  Just a suggestion. ;-)

On 24/01/2021 at 07:33, yorikiried by fate said:

why do they always get people who don't have a clue about sumo to write about sumo?

2 hours ago, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

why do they always get people who don't have a clue about sumo to write about sumo?

You don't know the burden of being a writer trying to look smart about everything when you're not, and finding out that you can do it on the cheap because your audience is in the same boat.  It's a grim world out there.

• Like 1

That article is also published in the Washington Post. The newspaper audience isn't all that knowledgeable about sumo. 

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

You don't know the burden of being a writer trying to look smart about everything when you're not, and finding out that you can do it on the cheap because your audience is in the same boat.  It's a grim world out there.

All so true. And it's cases like these when you happen to have advanced knowledge on the topic at hand that make you realize how much bull you might be treated anywhere else.

• Like 2

The lack of context in sumo articles is no good. The article makes the Kyokai look like an overbearing oppressive authority that doesn't let rikishi have social media access to keep them silent about abuse that goes on in the stables, when in reality we here know the Kyokai is an overbearing oppressive authority that doesn't let rikishi have social media access to keep them silent about the buffoonery that goes on in the stables.

Also, the last one of these western articles talked to Orora about how sumo wrestlers eat and exercise, as if he were both typical of the sport and someone whose experience was normal. There was no mention that the top rikishi don't look like him or that he had to crawl onto the dohyo...

Edited by Churaumi
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Too many articles from the "dilettante press" have titles like Sumo Isn't Just Fat Men in Diapers and then go on to carefully explain that in reality it's not as cool as that.

1 hour ago, Gaijingai said:

I'd love to see the data that supposedly shows a raised dohyo is not the cause of injuries. Seeing as how AFAIK they've never tried holding a honbasho without one, it's hard to see where that data could come from. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

Seeing as how AFAIK they've never tried holding a honbasho without one, it's hard to see where that data could come from. 

Amateur sumo?

9 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Amateur sumo?

Plus the fact that 99% of the bouts rikishi engage in over the course of their career take place on a flat dohyo.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

I'd love to see the data that supposedly shows a raised dohyo is not the cause of injuries. Seeing as how AFAIK they've never tried holding a honbasho without one, it's hard to see where that data could come from. 

Most, if not all, of the heyas conduct their training on flat dohyos.  There is certainly a lot of data available on the flat vs. raised dohyo question.  Most things published have concluded that both have problems.  Knowledgeable commentators seem to lean toward the raised dohyo as preferable.

I don't think any can replicate the 90 days a year fighting when your rank and career is on the line. I'd like to see a trial with a flat dohyo for one of the six honbashos and see what happens then.

• Like 1

I'm with you, Ryafuji. Training / tournament matches don't compare 100%, and I seem to see at least 1 bad fall a basho that would be prevented. Akua's head hitting the dohyo this basho, Shodai landing awkwardly on his foot last basho, etc.

Edited by Flyric
  • Like 1

And what exactly did Akua's dive have to do with the elevated dohyo?? (Eh?)

(for those who want to check it out: day 8 against Myogiryu)

Edited by Jakusotsu

8 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

And what exactly did Akua's dive have to do with the elevated dohyo?? (Eh?)

(for those who want to check it out: day 8 against Myogiryu)

I was talking about his day 15 match against Hidenoumi