Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 03:57, John Gunning said:

"(Goeido) is also the only ozeki since Tochiazuma to retire at the rank without having been dismissed or demoted." I suppose that's true if you go by the order in which the ozeki were promoted, but of course Kaio, who was promoted before Tochiazuma, retired four years after him at the ozeki rank without facing demotion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryafuji said:

"(Goeido) is also the only ozeki since Tochiazuma to retire at the rank without having been dismissed or demoted." I suppose that's true if you go by the order in which the ozeki were promoted, but of course Kaio, who was promoted before Tochiazuma, retired four years after him at the ozeki rank without facing demotion.

And, to be fair. Kotooshu and Baruto didn't exactly slide down the banzuke before retiring.

Too many storylines! No wonder Tachiai is calling the next basho Baku-Hatsu lol

On 13/11/2020 at 20:11, John Gunning said:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/11/11/sumo/universities-foreign-wrestlers-sumo/

A Mongolian high school wrestling champion will be switching to sumo when joining Nittaidai next year.

The college to pro route for foreigners looks like  becoming a more mainstream one in the near future.

I have a question about Tuvaadorj Bukhculuun. You indicate in the article that he won a national title at 92kg in wrestling. Is this for olympic wrestling? Did his high school happen to be Kashiwa Nittai?

11 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

I have a question about Tuvaadorj Bukhculuun. You indicate in the article that he won a national title at 92kg in wrestling. Is this for olympic wrestling? Did his high school happen to be Kashiwa Nittai?

Yes and yes.

• Like 1