Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

2 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

https://www.dailycal.org/2021/02/12/love-sumo-and-life/

excellent college essay! Anyone want to contact her and tell her about the Forum and Kintamayama’s videos?

Excellent article!  I will leave it to someone more experienced than me to contact the writer Saya Abney, e-mail address sabney@dailycal.org.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2021 at 07:43, Gaijingai said:

https://www.televisual.com/news/rakuten-buys-neos-sumo-wrestler-doc/

three-part documentary on the Hawaiians during the 1990’s as it takes us, as Kawika used to do, Behind the Curtain. Coming soon. 

OK, I'll have to figure out how to stream Rakuten on my tv later this year. If anyone hears a release date, please let us know on the forum. Not sure if it belongs on this thread exactly, but thanks for the heads up.

4 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

excellent college essay! Anyone want to contact her and tell her about the Forum and Kintamayama’s videos?

I agree with Joann. Brava! Nicely done.

It's so rare to hear a new voice on this subject that's not riddled with errors, or that expresses some of the emotion, some of the heart of the sport.

2 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Excellent article!  I will leave it to someone more experienced than me to contact the writer Saya Abney, e-mail address sabney@dailycal.org.

I wrote Saya an email and pointed her at the forum, in case there is interest. LOL, you don't need anyone more "experienced" to write, though. You're a fabulous communicator. I should know.

6 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

“Even with her Japanese pride, my grandmother grudgingly likes Terunofuji. He’s hard not to like — not only is he incredibly skilled, but he’s never demonstrated less than impeccable sportsmanship."

A few Kisenosato fans may beg to differ. 

Nice article, notwithstanding. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

“Even with her Japanese pride, my grandmother grudgingly likes Terunofuji. He’s hard not to like — not only is he incredibly skilled, but he’s never demonstrated less than impeccable sportsmanship."

A few Kisenosato fans may beg to differ. 

Nice article, notwithstanding. 

I thought the same about the Kotoshogiku's ones.

• Thanks 1

Reading Japan Times nowadays is not as exciting as before :-(

Can we still read Japan Times’ article after making account without subscribing?

Edited by code_number3

I created an account and logged in but the login dialog just comes up again. I can't get as far as reading the article.

Just refresh the page and click on the x button as soon as the page load to get the page content without the login banner that covers the whole page. Repeat until you get it perfect. 

I can copy and paste the whole article if you want. 

1 hour ago, Gaijingai said:

If it's not against forum rules, please do!

8 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

Mods, is this a good idea? Does he have liability problems?

I can read the Japan Times in my mobile using Firefox with the steps below. Haven't tried in a PC or in another browser.

1 - Open the link as normal.

2 - Switch off the Internet of your phone as soon as the page loads and before the login pop up shows up.

3 - Read the article.

Note: After about 10 seconds you can switch the Internet back on and the pop up won't show (at least for me), but it will show up if you move to a different page.

I don't read articles online, I download a daily bunch of them and filter out the nuisance parts on the pages.

You can do that manually: first save the page as html code, watching the saved page should already be enough to read it without popup, but you can go on to extract the good part:

Edit the html file with a text editor like Scite

My filter for japantimes (including the menu pages):

start at:  role="main"

end at:  class="single-sns-area" (I have more options to include other type of pages)

You can delete what is before and after

Edited by Akinomaki

...and as mentioned several times before: deleting cookies helps.

8 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

...and as mentioned several times before: deleting cookies helps.

It used to, but it appears they are wise to that.  I deleted my cookies like I've done dozens of times, and the overscreen still comes back.

I just tried to read the article on PC (I'm on Google Chrome). When it still loading (PC was throttled because I was back-uping my iPad), I stopped the loading and start reading. I could read the whole article without THAT dialogue box. Just this time so far, I don't know what happened next time.

Update #1: tried this method again and it failed

Update #2: I tried another method on PC and mobile. Hope this works next time

• PC: when the page starts loading, I immediately pressed print (Ctrl + P) to read the "print-out version) of the article
  • Mobile (I tried Safari on my iPad, probably if you have Safari on iPhone/iPad/PC you can try this): when the page starts loading, I immediately pressed Reader view to read the "print-out version) of the article
Edited by code_number3

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

It used to, but it appears they are wise to that.

When the block box appears, deleting the cookies and immediately refreshing the page without closing works for me. (FF)

Just switch off the Internet as I explained above. Why going to so much trouble with cookies and other stuff when it is so easy?

Not much history of sumo -themed crossword clues (except the Guardian in 2020?:), so I'll put this here:

Wall Street Journal, Monday, February 22, 2021

29 across: "Sumo wrestlers throw it before a match".  Answer: SALT.

35 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

29 across: "Sumo wrestlers throw it before a match".  Answer: SALT.

Alluding to something? (Laughing...)