Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

I'm with you, Ryafuji. Training / tournament matches don't compare 100%, and I seem to see at least 1 bad fall a basho that would be prevented. Akua's head hitting the dohyo this basho, Shodai landing awkwardly on his foot last basho, etc.

Edited by Flyric
  • Like 1

And what exactly did Akua's dive have to do with the elevated dohyo?? (Eh?)

(for those who want to check it out: day 8 against Myogiryu)

Edited by Jakusotsu

8 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I was talking about his day 15 match against Hidenoumi

2 hours ago, Flyric said:

I was talking about his day 15 match against Hidenoumi

Ah, that one - I see.

On 28/01/2021 at 02:06, Jakusotsu said:

I overrode the gyoji call in my notes for this match declaring the kimarite:  piledriver.

• Haha 1

It certainly cannot be the case that the circle-in-raised square doyho is optimal for injuries.  If the raised edge is helpful for some reason, then whatever distance from the ring is the safest should be applied uniformly, i.e. a circle in a circle.  I've forgotten what the safety advantage of the raised dohyo is supposed to be, though: can someone remind me?

(Yes, this would be an even bigger break with tradition.)

4 minutes ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

It certainly cannot be the case that the circle-in-raised square doyho is optimal for injuries.  If the raised edge is helpful for some reason, then whatever distance from the ring is the safest should be applied uniformly, i.e. a circle in a circle.  I've forgotten what the safety advantage of the raised dohyo is supposed to be, though: can someone remind me?

(Yes, this would be an even bigger break with tradition.)

What an interesting question!  Is it square to denote the cardinal points, or does it turn out to be the shape that the yobidashi prefer?

1 minute ago, Yamanashi said:

What an interesting question!  Is it square to denote the cardinal points, or does it turn out to be the shape that the yobidashi prefer?

Yes--there used to be pillars at the corner to hold up the roof (which is still suspended above, just on wires), but those were removed for safety and sightlines.  

On 27/01/2021 at 06:23, Asojima said:

Most, if not all, of the heyas conduct their training on flat dohyos.  There is certainly a lot of data available on the flat vs. raised dohyo question.  Most things published have concluded that both have problems.  Knowledgeable commentators seem to lean toward the raised dohyo as preferable.

While I'm no sumo expert, on the science side (data) we have an old expression, "apples to apples, oranges to oranges." As a fan and a scientist, I'd lean toward Ryafuji's argument, but would be delighted to see John's data.

2 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

While I'm no sumo expert, on the science side (data) we have an old expression, "apples to apples, oranges to oranges." As a fan and a scientist, I'd lean toward Ryafuji's argument, but would be delighted to see John's data.

Data schmata.  People (and even animals!) know the difference between flat and not-flat.  If we had four or five heya whose home dohyo was off the ground, then we could compare data.

Some researchers say that there were more paratroop casualties preparing for D-Day than there were for D-Day.  Apples, oranges?

1 hour ago, Yamanashi said:

Some researchers say that there were more paratroop casualties preparing for D-Day than there were for D-Day.  Apples, oranges?

Apples vs. oranges.

• Like 1

The dohyo is sanctified ground and wrestlers bow to the altar of their sport as they approach and depart from stage of Grand Sumo.
The power water/paper rituals would be incongruous if the squatting warrior is being serviced by the previous winner towering over him.  The gunga dins with their buckets and salt baskets would be much more visible along with the shimpan.
During the dohyo iri, rikishi would 'enter the ring' (it is a ring entering ceremony) instead of mounting the dohyo.
I have aesthetic objections to a flush to the ground dohyo surface.

Fake news?  EVERYONE knows the ten year Japanese yusho drought came about when Hello Kitty was allowed to mount the dohyo for HER 30th anniversary introduction to the US (as a yokozuna, no less)

.drought%20DSC00764.JPG

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kujo said:

John had very little to say about Harumafuji, sumo-wise.

I am wondering whether this was the proverbial damning by faint praise....

Considering it read more like a trivia column, I think the facts not being directly sumo-related is fine. That said, some of the facts were less obscure than others. I learnt a lot more about Hokutoumi, Asahifuji, Harumafuji and Kisenosato than say Kitanofuji, Takanohana or Akebono.

10 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

Word count. Only enough space for what was written. 

Thanks John, while I have you on the proverbial phone... Is there any chance of you returning to the english TV broadcast anytime soon?

I am guessing the studio in Tokyo where you guys broadcast from might be too small for physical distancing or maybe not enough ventilation?

You are missed :-} 

6 hours ago, John Gunning said:

Once COVID is over we’ll be back.

I am torn hourly, going back and forth between hope and despair...

On 03/02/2021 at 10:11, John Gunning said:

Once COVID is over we’ll be back.

How much salary does the lady who only pops up to translate the result of the monoii receive? How can we apply?

• Haha 1

On 05/02/2021 at 17:33, Tsuchinoninjin said:

How much salary does the lady who only pops up to translate the result of the monoii receive? How can we apply?

I miss my old heartthrob, Riyo Ohta. Riyo, come back to sumo! :-)

14 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

I miss my old heartthrob, Riyo Ohta. Riyo, come back to sumo! :-)

Did she marry K-seki?

1 hour ago, rhyen said:

Did she marry K-seki?

I don’t know. She just disappeared with no explanation.