Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

36 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

This basho preview was filed before the Tamanoi news broke.

" Terunofuji’s unexpected championship in the July tournament, saw him promoted all the way up into sumo’s top ten at maegashira 1 east.

That has led to a lot of handwringing online, with many fans expressing the view that it’s too big of a jump too soon, and that the resulting tough slate of opponents Terunofuji will face in the upcoming tournament should quickly end any hopes the ex-ozeki has of winning back to back titles and starting a run at his former rank."

Strange assessment, since a M1 faces exactly the same high-rankers as a M3 (or even M5 recently), which is where most GTB players have put Terunofuji. Besides, you can't win back to back titles outside of the meat grinder.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Strange assessment, since a M1 faces exactly the same high-rankers as a M3 or even M5 recently

Literally my point. 

"even if they take the final step and earn the white rope, we’ll have yokozuna akin to Asahifuji or Kakuryu at best."

"Geez, John, Kakuryu's standing right over there ... "

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

"Geez, John, Kakuryu's standing right over there ... "

"Geez, Yamanashi, Asahifuji (Isegahama Oyakata) is sitting right over there..."

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

"Geez, Yamanashi, Asahifuji (Isegahama Oyakata) is sitting right over there..."

Yeah, well, he's been out of the rikishi ranks for 30 years (and had the class to retire when he fell ill).  Kakuryu, who has finished 8 of his last 20 basho, is allegedly still active; John puts him in a sentence with another ex-Yokozuna, as if it's a "where are they now?" column.  Please understand, I have absolutely nothing against John, it just tells you how quickly  Kakuryu made it to the past tense.

3 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Yeah, well, he's been out of the rikishi ranks for 30 years (and had the class to retire when he fell ill).  Kakuryu, who has finished 8 of his last 20 basho, is allegedly still active

I don't know if having Hakuho around is setting a "bad" example for other yokozuna in terms of absences, because it feels like there's a lot more tolerance for yokozuna absences than there used to be. When Takanohana and Kisenosato are spoken about in terms of record-breaking withdrawals, you've got to wonder what the old thresholds for "compete or retire" were.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Pardon my ignorance: does Kotoshoho have any genetic ties as well, or did you just mistake him for Kotonowaka?

10 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Pardon my ignorance: does Kotoshoho have any genetic ties as well, or did you just mistake him for Kotonowaka?

Are you asking me, or John?  That comes straight from John's article.

11 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Are you asking me, or John?  That comes straight from John's article.

Of course I'm asking John. I thought that was clear, sorry.

8 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Don Orlowitz provides a "photo essay" glimpse at many of the sights and scenes at the KGK amidst the pandemic.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/photo-essay-sumo-basho-coronavirus/

Kind of eerie. These are strange times, indeed. The absent Yokozuna and all the other rikishi withdrawals must be compounding what must already be a somewhat diminished experience for those in attendance at the Kokugikan. Three days the fans have even missed seeing Ozeki fight because of fusen. That said, I’d still be there in a heartbeat if I was in Tokyo.

2 hours ago, since_94 said:

Three days the fans have even missed seeing Ozeki fight because of fusen. That said, I’d still be there in a heartbeat if I was in Tokyo.

Can empathise. The one day I managed to catch live sumo, Enho won, but all four ozeki were kyujo, and Ichinojo beat Hakuho. Megabummer.

On 25/09/2020 at 10:30, Seiyashi said:

The one day I managed to catch live sumo, Enho won, but all four ozeki were kyujo, and Ichinojo beat Hakuho. Megabummer.

Day 9 of the 2019 Nagoya Tournament was the day (one of two in his career) that Ichinojo defeated Hakuho and Enho won his bout against Takagenji.  The other time Ichonojo upset Hakuho was Day 1 of the 2015 Summer Tournament, ... but Enho had not even started Maezumo yet.

My money's on Day 9 of the 2019 Nagoya Tourney...

Hope you had decent seats. ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Day 9 of the 2019 Nagoya Tournament was the day (one of two in his career) that Ichinojo defeated Hakuho and Enho won his bout against Takagenji.  The other time Ichonojo upset Hakuho was Day 1 of the 2015 Summer Tournament, ... but Enho had not even started Maezumo yet.

My money's on Day 9 of the 2019 Nagoya Tourney...

Hope you had decent seats. ;-)

It took three days of waking up at obscene hours to queue for the same day tickets, but yeah. Definitely not an experience I would miss. And Dewanoumi's chanko was good.

• Like 1