Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

Posted (edited)

Justin picked what he needed from a one hour conversation to back up the point being made but most of what I said actually took the opposite point of view. 

Happy to see Orora get his life in order, but if you only start using the gym and eating properly AFTER a 20 year career as a professional athlete you are in no position to criticize. 

There are plenty of guys who DO prepare and train properly. No one was stopping him doing the same.

Then again the universe is most likely deterministic and free will is almost certainly an illusion so it probably couldn’t have been any other way. 

Edited by John Gunning
  • Like 5

Isn't it just that he sees now that he got it wrong?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

John Gunning does a great job here, packing a lot of information and description into this column.

I enjoyed the article too, although it isn't correct to say that Mienoumi had left the Kyokai at the time of his kanreki dohyo-iri. In fact he hadn't even become rijicho yet in 2007. I'm not sure why he decided to hold it privately instead of at the Kokugikan.

Edited by ryafuji
  • Like 2

According to Wikipedia, the kanreki took place 7 months early because he wanted to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Musashigawabeya.  Maybe that's why it wasn't held in the Kokugikan.

On 08/07/2020 at 05:15, Amamaniac said:

John's articles are enough to get me to subscribe to the JT, perhaps... That was a good one. As a newbie still (only watched sumo for the first time five years ago), I'm still learning basics, like the existence of kanreki ceremonies. At age 62 I tried to demonstrate shiko to my wife just last week. Not a very pretty shiko, for sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

You might try viewing this link at about the 1:50m mark...

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/tournament/202005/live_4.html

I think I've seen video of Raj working out with sumo somewhere else, rather impressive actually. Better than I could have done even back when I was a 2nd string (oh, maybe 3rd string) college soccer player. I'm in fairly good shape for an older guy, but having blown my left ACL twice, I count myself fortunate to still be able to walk 15-20 km a day. And I don't want to lose that, as it's rather helpful when blasting around Japan, among other destinations.

Who was the instructor for that video? From one of the beyas, I guess? Seemed quite experienced. He also seemed both kind and ruthless, just what you want in a trainer.

7 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Who was the instructor for that video? From one of the beyas, I guess? Seemed quite experienced. He also seemed both kind and ruthless, just what you want in a trainer.

That's Morita Hiroshi, one of the main NHK English commentators.  He also identifies himself as "a licensed sumo health exercises instructor".

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

That's Morita Hiroshi, one of the main NHK English commentators.  He also identifies himself as "a licensed sumo health exercises instructor".

Morita is the main announcer of NHK's pre-basho show, with Murray Johnson and John Gunning.  On this show, Raj does interviews with sekitori and often  puts a mawashi on his toothpick body so as to get mauled by the interviewee.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Lame. B-)

Check this out:

You've seen that live right? What basho was it that you stayed in my place?

On 11/07/2020 at 06:14, John Gunning said:

You've seen that live right? What basho was it that you stayed in my place? 

(Iamgoingoff-topic...)  Natsu 2007, if I remember correctly. Judging by the video title (uploaded by Doitsuyama, btw), that was two years earlier.

• Like 1