Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

On 25/09/2020 at 10:30, Seiyashi said:

The one day I managed to catch live sumo, Enho won, but all four ozeki were kyujo, and Ichinojo beat Hakuho. Megabummer.

Day 9 of the 2019 Nagoya Tournament was the day (one of two in his career) that Ichinojo defeated Hakuho and Enho won his bout against Takagenji.  The other time Ichonojo upset Hakuho was Day 1 of the 2015 Summer Tournament, ... but Enho had not even started Maezumo yet.

My money's on Day 9 of the 2019 Nagoya Tourney...

Hope you had decent seats. ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Day 9 of the 2019 Nagoya Tournament was the day (one of two in his career) that Ichinojo defeated Hakuho and Enho won his bout against Takagenji.  The other time Ichonojo upset Hakuho was Day 1 of the 2015 Summer Tournament, ... but Enho had not even started Maezumo yet.

My money's on Day 9 of the 2019 Nagoya Tourney...

Hope you had decent seats. ;-)

It took three days of waking up at obscene hours to queue for the same day tickets, but yeah. Definitely not an experience I would miss. And Dewanoumi's chanko was good.

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 03:57, John Gunning said:

"(Goeido) is also the only ozeki since Tochiazuma to retire at the rank without having been dismissed or demoted." I suppose that's true if you go by the order in which the ozeki were promoted, but of course Kaio, who was promoted before Tochiazuma, retired four years after him at the ozeki rank without facing demotion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryafuji said:

"(Goeido) is also the only ozeki since Tochiazuma to retire at the rank without having been dismissed or demoted." I suppose that's true if you go by the order in which the ozeki were promoted, but of course Kaio, who was promoted before Tochiazuma, retired four years after him at the ozeki rank without facing demotion.

And, to be fair. Kotooshu and Baruto didn't exactly slide down the banzuke before retiring.

On 13/11/2020 at 20:11, John Gunning said:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/11/11/sumo/universities-foreign-wrestlers-sumo/

A Mongolian high school wrestling champion will be switching to sumo when joining Nittaidai next year.

The college to pro route for foreigners looks like  becoming a more mainstream one in the near future.

I have a question about Tuvaadorj Bukhculuun. You indicate in the article that he won a national title at 92kg in wrestling. Is this for olympic wrestling? Did his high school happen to be Kashiwa Nittai?

On 02/09/2020 at 04:19, Gaijingai said:

Another excellent article by John Gunning. Thanks for posting it. I suppose I should just go ahead and subscribe to the JT... Maybe soon, andmostly for John's articles, although I confess to being interested in many other topics in this amazing country.

• Like 2

On 03/12/2020 at 09:42, Kaminariyuki said:

Another excellent article by John Gunning. Thanks for posting it. I suppose I should just go ahead and subscribe to the JT... Maybe soon, andmostly for John's articles, although I confess to being interested in many other topics in this amazing country.

I think you would enjoy having a subscription to the Japan Times.  I have what they used to call (and might still call) their Subscription Lite Plan for about 900 yen ($9.00 USD) per month.  This allows me to read up to 80 articles per month which I rarely exceed.  Much as I enjoy the sumo articles, there is plenty of other subject matter to enjoy.

On 03/12/2020 at 09:42, Kaminariyuki said:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sub/100-sixmonths-campaign/

A limited time offer from The Japan Times.  $1.00/mo for 6 months billed in one lump sum at the beginning.  It says you get "partial" access to The Japan Times & you get to read up to 80 stories/mo.  I can't determine what they mean by "partial" access.  The Plan name is Digital Lite.  Maybe it refers to the fact that you are limited to reading 80 stories/mo as opposed to unlimited access.  After 6 months, you are billed the normal amount (900 yen/mo).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1