Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

7 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Who was the instructor for that video? From one of the beyas, I guess? Seemed quite experienced. He also seemed both kind and ruthless, just what you want in a trainer.

That's Morita Hiroshi, one of the main NHK English commentators.  He also identifies himself as "a licensed sumo health exercises instructor".

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

That's Morita Hiroshi, one of the main NHK English commentators.  He also identifies himself as "a licensed sumo health exercises instructor".

Morita is the main announcer of NHK's pre-basho show, with Murray Johnson and John Gunning.  On this show, Raj does interviews with sekitori and often  puts a mawashi on his toothpick body so as to get mauled by the interviewee.

• Haha 1

On 11/07/2020 at 06:14, John Gunning said:

You've seen that live right? What basho was it that you stayed in my place? 

(Iamgoingoff-topic...)  Natsu 2007, if I remember correctly. Judging by the video title (uploaded by Doitsuyama, btw), that was two years earlier.

58 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

DFABF004-3-EDF-4226-8-D97-F35-E4-C551-C2

I don't know where Simon is from but Siddall is a North-to-North-West English name. We gave the world Cumberland Wrestling,  Westmorland Wrestling, Catch-as-catch-can Wrestling and the elusive Lancashire martial art of Ecky Thump . AND most importantly, I once tied for first place in Jason's competition back in 2015.

It's a roses and black pudding thing: you might not understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John Gunning said:

Article is here

Great article as always, John !

Two comments: 

1) When I read that Doreen Simmons had predated Strange and Watson, I had the image of a raptor hunting down and killing a rabbit.  Hadn't noticed that language quirk before.

2) Centuries from now, when historical details inevitably get muddled, will Hakuho be known as the Pandaazuma of live Sumo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, John Gunning said:

I wrote a bit about Hakuho and Hokuseiho

John, I've been thinking about whether Sumo will follow the history of American Football.  Linemen used to be big fat guys (w/o diapers) whose job was to get in the way of running backs.  Now linemen are big w/o so much fat and more muscled, but significantly faster.  They have taken over the NFL.  I kind of think of Hakuho this way: tall enough, able to put on weight and still be panther-fast, with a toolbelt full of moves.  Does the new kid seem that way, or is he just big?

8 hours ago, John Gunning said:

I wrote a bit about Hakuho and Hokuseiho

"It’d be naive to imagine that for a man who has adapted his ring-entering ceremony over the years to honor various historical yokozuna, the idea of “Hakuho Dojo” persisting well into the next century hasn’t occurred to the Mongolian veteran."

That's news to me. Did you mention it in a previous article?