Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

2 minutes ago, hakutorizakura said:

Oh thanks! Never noticed that button...

But yeah, lazy me just wanted to see the shikona kanji on the English page :-D

If you hover with the mouse over the shikona on the banzuke page, the kanji pop up.

• Thanks 5

I wouldn't say Orora is typical. And...comparing him and his habits to the makuuchi crew...well...someone had to crawl onto the dohyo and a lot of people don't. Not saying there isn't room to improve, but that's an unfairly written article.

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

The only question: "Will Gunning20 catch on (as a game title)?"

Sure, if it's a new edition of Moorhuhn. B-)

2 hours ago, Karasukurai said:

This was picked up by The Guardian online today as well, virtually the same article. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/26/sumos-heaviest-ever-wrestler-urges-others-to-keep-eating-habits-in-check

The key difference is that almost a third of it contains input from commentator and Forum member, John Gunning. ;-)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

John Gunning does a great job here, packing a lot of information and description into this column.

I enjoyed the article too, although it isn't correct to say that Mienoumi had left the Kyokai at the time of his kanreki dohyo-iri. In fact he hadn't even become rijicho yet in 2007. I'm not sure why he decided to hold it privately instead of at the Kokugikan.

Edited by ryafuji
  • Like 2

According to Wikipedia, the kanreki took place 7 months early because he wanted to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Musashigawabeya.  Maybe that's why it wasn't held in the Kokugikan.

On 08/07/2020 at 05:15, Amamaniac said:

John's articles are enough to get me to subscribe to the JT, perhaps... That was a good one. As a newbie still (only watched sumo for the first time five years ago), I'm still learning basics, like the existence of kanreki ceremonies. At age 62 I tried to demonstrate shiko to my wife just last week. Not a very pretty shiko, for sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

You might try viewing this link at about the 1:50m mark...

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/tournament/202005/live_4.html

I think I've seen video of Raj working out with sumo somewhere else, rather impressive actually. Better than I could have done even back when I was a 2nd string (oh, maybe 3rd string) college soccer player. I'm in fairly good shape for an older guy, but having blown my left ACL twice, I count myself fortunate to still be able to walk 15-20 km a day. And I don't want to lose that, as it's rather helpful when blasting around Japan, among other destinations.

Who was the instructor for that video? From one of the beyas, I guess? Seemed quite experienced. He also seemed both kind and ruthless, just what you want in a trainer.