Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

I say we start a poll on who the next famed rikishi to appear in John's Rikishi File will be.  My vote: Takamisakari. ;-)

16 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

IMHO, Kyokutenho's championship in 2012 was even more surprising... 

Even more surprising was Asanoyama's, but Tenho's was the most heart-warming.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Even more surprising was Asanoyama's, but Tenho's was the most heart-warming.

I couldn't find any "Tenho" in the db who won a yusho, then I figured it out ...

1 hour ago, Gaijingai said:

The video itself was a low resolution (360p) poorly-edited effort with ill-fitting music, featuring a rikishi that spent only five tournaments in the top division and never went past the rank of No. 12 maegashira.

What grabbed the attention of viewers, though, was the muscular, ripped and very un-sumolike physique of the wrestler in question, as well as the high level of technical ability he displayed throughout the eight-minute clip.

I think this is the video John talk about Takanoyama

• Like 1

That would be the one.

For the record I like the music. I just don't think it fits the visuals particularly well.

Rikishi Files has replaced Sumo 101 and I'll be doing them during the next few basho so if there are guys you are interesting and worth doing 300 words on, by all means let me know.

Can be literally anyone that has ever been on the banzuke.

• Like 3

Veteran Tochiozan clawing back to makuuchi in twilight of long career

After finishing five straight tournaments with a losing record, Tochiozan was demoted to the juryo division for the ongoing Fukuoka meet.

The veteran is in a good position for instant repromotion to the top tier after securing a winning record on Day 12, but whether he still possesses the ability and strength to stay there is hard to say.

The 32-year-old was still a teenager the last time he fought in sumo’s second division...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/11/22/sumo/veteran-tochiozan-clawing-back-makuuchi-twilight-long-career/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Gunning said:

That would be the one.

For the record I like the music. I just don't think it fits the visuals particularly well.

Rikishi Files has replaced Sumo 101 and I'll be doing them during the next few basho so if there are guys you are interesting and worth doing 300 words on, by all means let me know.

Sunahama Shoji 

Terunofuji endures tough times to get back on track

On a day when yokozuna Hakuho all but sealed his 43rd Emperor’s Cup, the biggest news out of Fukuoka concerned a man in sumo’s third division.

Terunofuji clinched the makushita title with a perfect 7-0 record and will be back in the salaried ranks in January for the first time in over a year and a half.

After missing four straight tournaments through injury from July 2018 on, the former ozeki had fallen all the way down to the second-lowest division (jonidan)...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/11/23/sumo/terunofuji-endures-tough-times-get-back-track/

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 20:18, John Gunning said:

That would be the one.

Nankairyu

On 21/11/2019 at 20:18, John Gunning said:

That would be the one.

Hoshitango

Moriurara

Thanks, John!

On 21/11/2019 at 20:18, John Gunning said:

Hattorizakura!

• Like 1