Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

'Little Miss Sumo' wrestles with sexism in Japan's ancient sport

A young wrestler dubbed “Little Miss Sumo” is fighting sexism in the ancient Japanese sport, hoping to inspire other women to step into the ring and elevate sumo to Olympic status.

Hiyori Kon is the focus of a new Netflix documentary, “Little Miss Sumo,” which tracks her attempts to take on sporting inequality in a society that lags in all manner of women’s rights...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/11/04/national/social-issues/little-miss-sumo-wrestles-with-sexism/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/11/2019 at 07:15, Otokonoyama said:

She's a "sumo prodigy" no less. Line from the trailer: "Women are banned  from entering the doyho, so there's no professional women's sumo wrestling" One has nothing to do with the other. There is no professional women's sumo wrestling because there are few that want it and even less willing to pay to see it. It's kind of hard to be a professional at something if no one will pay you for it. 

These articles regurgitate the same garbage over and over like it matters:

" I never lost to a boy before 3rd grade..." Girls mature faster than boys. They can compete at young ages. That changes drastically with puberty. 

" I love to do it and I practice so hard..." Doesn't mean you are owed a living for doing it.

On and on. 

"Released globally on Netflix on Monday, “Little Miss Sumo” shows growing momentum in Japan for women’s rights."

Which shows the whole purpose of this article and documentary. They don't give a crap about women in sumo really. It's just how this helps their agenda.  No concern whatsoever for the actual sport and it's survival as a professional entity.

6 hours ago, Rocks said:

She's a "sumo prodigy" no less. Line from the trailer: "Women are banned  from entering the doyho, so there's no professional women's sumo wrestling" One has nothing to do with the other. There is no professional women's sumo wrestling because there are few that want it and even less willing to pay to see it. It's kind of hard to be a professional at something if no one will pay you for it. 

In fairness, it's self-fulfilling that there will be no interest in something that doesn't exist.

I'd be perfectly open to watching female sumo, and I'm sure that others here would be too.

Granted, that doesn't defeat your claim as we're a pretty niche group, and I understand the casual fan may not be interested now/at first -- doesn't mean that interest wouldn't grow.

That said I haven't watched it so what the hell do I know (Laughing...).

55 minutes ago, Houmanumi said:

In fairness, it's self-fulfilling that there will be no interest in something that doesn't exist.

In Japan, there is almost zero interest in juryo and below Ozumo, and it has existed for centuries.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Asojima said:

In Japan, there is almost zero interest in juryo and below Ozumo, and it has existed for centuries.

A lack of interest in what doesn't exist doesn't require that everything that exists will garner interest. 

Comparing interest in lower division to high division sport is a faulty comparison. A better one would have been Men's Football v. Women's Football, or similar.

But in reality, we're talking about a combat sport; so let's use an obvious recent example in women's MMA. It had a small following before it exploded in popularity thanks to the Rousey era, and now we're seeing greater equality in terms of major promotion/representation, headlining of events, female stars etc.

Watching elite female rikishi could be massively interesting, think about what they would bring in terms of agility and flexibility (again, akin to the difference in MMA).

Never know if you never go, is my point. I don't see how introducing a women's division in Ozumo would hurt anyone or anything (beyond potentially the rikishi). 

Edited by Houmanumi

12 minutes ago, Houmanumi said:

A lack of interest in what doesn't exist doesn't require that everything that exists will garner interest. 

Comparing interest in lower division to high division sport is a faulty comparison. A better one would have been Men's Football v. Women's Football, or similar.

But in reality, we're talking about a combat sport; so let's use an obvious recent example in women's MMA. It had a small following before it exploded in popularity thanks to the Rousey era, and now we're seeing greater equality in terms of major promotion/representation, headlining of events, female stars etc.

Watching elite female rikishi could be massively interesting, think about what they would bring in terms of agility and flexibility (again, akin to the difference in MMA).

Never know if you never go, is my point. I don't see how introducing a women's division in Ozumo would hurt anyone or anything (beyond potentially the rikishi). 

A perfect example of why there isn't a women's division of ozumo. The Rousey era was a massive hype of PR based on 1 individual who's entire MMA career consisted of less than 20 bouts, including amateur.  After Rousey got her ass handed to her and she became a "professional wrestler" interest in women's MMA has collapsed.  Why? it was a cult of personality, not actual interest in the women's sport.  Introducing a women's sumo division is going to hurt a lot. All that hurt is going to fall on the few professionals who will have to sacrifice salary to subsidize it.  A salary which is already minimal in comparison to other professional sports.The UFC could afford to throw money away on women competitors hoping to get another Rousey they can market based on her looks and to get non standard sponsors. Hair color, makeup, etc. Most of that is based on sex appeal, something that isn't going to happen with women's sumo. The women's sumo champ isn't going to be doing any sexy poses in magazines and posters. Japanese women aren't going to be buying beauty products because the female Hakuho uses them.

it isn't the job of the sumo association to create professional women's sumo. It's the job of the people who think there should be a women's professional sumo league to do it.

Women want equality? Good. Someone on equal terms goes and does things themselves. They don't sit around waiting to have men hand it to them.

Frankly what is the point anyway when women's sports will probably be entirely dominated by Trans athletes within a decade or so anyway? It's already blowing holes through the amateur scene. It's only a matter of time till they take over what little professional sports there are.

11 hours ago, code_number3 said:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/11/07/sumo/emperors-cup-race-looks-wide-open-kyushu-basho/

Emperor's Cup race looks wide open at Kyushu Basho

It’s common for rikishi to see an upturn in results soon after getting engaged, married or having a child. The extra motivation and support a family brings is often worth a few extra wins.

Takakeisho’s target this time out is eight wins in Fukuoka. Anything above that would be a surprise in November.

Just above "Yokozuna Update" it should say Takayasu and not Takakeisho.

John must fire the undergraduated that reviewed the text.

Edited by RPedro44

52 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

Rugby World Cup PTSD.

4 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

Ah, three of us posted the same article link. Clearly we are ready for another basho to begin!

6 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

Looks like you hired him for your posts as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, John Gunning said:

Looks like you hired him for your posts as well.

Indeed. I need to get rid of that guy.

Btw, this was a great reading, expecially the first part regarding Mitakeumi.

On 05/11/2019 at 05:15, Otokonoyama said:

Thanks, I'll watch this for sure. I started a thread on women in sumo, even professional sumo, just for fun and because I'm generally a proponent of equal treatment for all human beings. It got a few folks so upset, I was very sorry I'd started it and actually backed out of the discussion myself. I was trolling, though, so I had no room to whine. Nonetheless, I was surprised at how defensive some folks are on the subject.

18 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

I got a spyware/malware infiltration message on my Mac when I clicked on this link. Not complaining, as it may be unrelated to the web site, but I thought I'd let folks know.

Former ozeki great Chiyotaikai rose up sumo ladder after turning life around at early age

To newer fans it may seem as if veteran Goeido has been an ozeki forever, but the Osaka native’s five years at the rank is still less than half as long as former ozeki Chiyotaikai spent in sumo’s second most prestigious spot.

Currently a sumo elder, he is also master of the powerful Kokonoe stable.

In that role, he is coach to Chiyotairyu, Chiyomaru and 21 other wrestlers — six of whom have sekitori (paid ranks) experience...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/11/10/sumo/former-ozeki-great-chiyotaikai-rose-sumo-ladder-turning-life-around-early-age/

Spoiler

For those who may have not seen it...the Roho incident.

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Baruto overcame obstacles to become ozeki

In early 2004, two massive Estonians moved to Japan to join professional sumo.

Ott Juurikas became a member of the Irumagawa stable but was complaining about feeling out of place almost immediately, and after just a single outing, he quit the sport and returned home.

Juurikas compiled a 5-2 record in that tournament with one of his losses coming to compatriot Kaido Hoovelson...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/11/12/sumo/baruto-overcame-obstacles-become-ozeki/

• Like 2

Homasho's popularity tied to reserved manner

One of the more popular rikishi these days is Abi.

The tall 25-year-old fights out of a Shikoroyama stable headed up by former sekiwake Terao — a man that was also a crowd favorite back in his active days.

The stable has no shortage of well-liked former wrestlers with Tatsutagawa elder similarly admired when he was a rikishi...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/11/14/sumo/homashos-popularity-tied-reserved-manner/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Homasho's popularity tied to reserved manner

One of the more popular rikishi these days is Abi.

The tall 25-year-old fights out of a Shikoroyama stable headed up by former sekiwake Terao — a man that was also a crowd favorite back in his active days.

The stable has no shortage of well-liked former wrestlers with Tatsutagawa elder similarly admired when he was a rikishi...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/11/14/sumo/homashos-popularity-tied-reserved-manner/

Great photo by John, too!