Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

Or - If I were a lad, I would join ______ heya and why

Kids sumo offers wrestlers an early start

As outlined in a previous Sumo 101, joining sumo is often a matter of just getting in touch with a stable.

Experience in the ring or a background in the sport aren’t prerequisites, as virtually anyone with Japanese nationality will be accepted into sumo.

The reality, however, is that many, if not most, new recruits have already stepped into the ring at some level as an amateur...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/07/16/sumo/kids-sumo-offers-wrestlers-early-start/

• Like 1

Oldest sumo wrestler Aminishiki to retire

Former sekiwake Aminishiki, 40, currently a juryo sumo wrestler and the oldest in the paid sekitori ranks, on Tuesday said he will retire, giving up on a comeback to the dohyo ring because of delays in his recovery from injuries to his right knee.

His decision comes after he further injured his previously hurt right knee in his bout on July 8, the second day of the ongoing Nagoya Sumo Grand Tournament. He withdrew from the tournament the next day.

Aminishiki initially intended to return to the tournament. However, the No. 11 juryo’s knee was recovering slower than he expected. This prompted him to decide against a return to the dohyo, which made certain he would drop to the unpaid makushita division. Therefore, he decided to retire from sumo.

Aminishiki, whose real name is Ryuji Suginomori, will soon submit a letter of retirement to the Japan Sumo Association. He will then be granted the Ajigawa toshiyori elder status.

“I have no regrets,” Aminishiki told reporters in Nagoya on Tuesday morning. “I think the time has come to step down as a fighter.”

A native of the town of Fukaura, Aomori Prefecture, Aminishiki made his debut in the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament in 1997 at the age of 18. He is a relative of his stablemaster Isegahama, the former yokozuna Asahifuji. Aminishiki was promoted to the makuuchi top division at the Nagoya Grand Sumo Tournament in July 2000. His eight kinboshi wins against yokozuna are tied for the most among active wrestlers.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0005875954

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, code_number3 said:

sp-sumo101-a-20190721-870x653.jpg

I suppose that if you're going to offer rikishi Smarties they'll have to be big ones.

(And someone is going to make off with the only blue one in the box)

Edited by Naganoyama
Quoted wrong post

50 minutes ago, Naganoyama said:

sp-sumo101-a-20190721-870x653.jpg

I suppose that if you're going to offer rikishi Smarties they'll have to be big ones.

(And someone is going to make off with the only blue one in the box)

First the macaron, then the smarties!(Laughing...)

Posted (edited)

Before what will possibly be a much-deserved break, John Gunning gives us yet another Sumo 101 look inside sumo; this time he focuses on the JSA Chairman.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/07/21/sumo/sumo-101-jsa-chairman/#.XTR0FC2B0xg

There are even a few tidbits that explain why Hakuho (like Taiho and Chiyonofuji) may never become Chairman, despite having illustrious Yokozuna careers.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

Hakkaku stable: How to watch Tokyo's sumo stars train live

Outside the nondescript building on a Tokyo side street, the only sign of life from within is a noise that sounds like sacks of wet mud being hurled onto the ground. There is little to reveal that this is a sumo-wrestling stable – one of 46 across Japan. These boot camps have something of the monastery about them and the 25 taciturn rikishi who eat, sleep and train at Hakkaku stable do live a kind of monastic existence, dedicating themselves entirely to this unforgiving combat sport.

Most stables are off-limits but Hakkaku’s allows paying guests accompanied by a guide to watch a morning training session. Because sumo competitions are held just six times a year, it’s a great way for visitors to experience this uniquely Japanese phenomenon. During the 1980s, one UK channel took the brave step of showing sumo matches on Saturday mornings – I was a big fan and, now, I was going to see them in the flesh.

Be warned – it’s no picnic...

https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/travel/hakkaku-stable-how-to-watch-tokyo-s-sumo-stars-train-live-1.891142

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 02:20, Otokonoyama said:

Hakkaku stable: How to watch Tokyo's sumo stars train live

"paying guests accompanied by a guide" Does that mean they're paying the guide or the heya directly? I didn't think there was a charge to visit a heya.

57 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

"paying guests accompanied by a guide" Does that mean they're paying the guide or the heya directly? I didn't think there was a charge to visit a heya.

Believe most charge, although i've never been to japan.

Check Konishiki's youtube channel. He does (or used to do) some paid tours where he is the guide and seem to visit Musachigawa often and even let the guests train with rikishi. Also, there is one video where Musashimaru's nephiew (the nephiew is actually the real Musashimaru), goes to dinner with the guests. Don't believe all these would be provided free by the stable.

4 minutes ago, RPedro44 said:

Also, there is one video where Musashimaru's nephiew (the nephiew is actually the real Musashimaru), 

??