Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

Well technically since it's the headline you quoted that's what the editor said. The rest of the column is mine though. :-)

• Haha 1

SUMO ABC (76) / Why can only Japanese nationals become sumo association elders?

There is a long-standing tradition in the sumo world of not allowing women to enter the dohyo ring. There is also a nationality clause that prohibits wrestlers who are not Japanese citizens from becoming elders.

This policy was added in September 1976 as one of the qualifications for obtaining an elder share, which says elders must have Japanese nationality. At present there are 105 elder shares.

In 1972, Takamiyama, who was an American citizen at the time, won the Emperor’s Cup at the Nagoya Grand Sumo Tournament, becoming the first foreign wrestler to win the title of the uppermost makuuchi division.

Takamiyama expressed his intention to become an elder in the JSA in the future. However, some JSA members became concerned, saying it might be not good for a foreign national to train wrestlers and get involved in the association’s management. The nationality clause was created in response to that opinion.

At the time, the nationality clause inflamed public opinion as an “outrageous anachronism.” Facing strong opposition from the public, then JSA Chairman Kasugano — former yokozuna Tochinishiki — said: “There will be no change in the JSA’s policy on the nationality clause, but we will study this matter if, for example, exceptional cases should be established. And [the nationality clause] will not be officially added [to our rules and regulations] before any conclusions have been reached.”

In the end, no exceptional measures were taken, and Takamiyama became a naturalized Japanese citizen in June 1980 at age 35 under the name Daigoro Watanabe, thus obtaining a qualification for becoming an elder.

Takamiyama eventually became stablemaster Azumazeki, training yokozuna Akebono and komusubi Takamisakari, among other wrestlers.

The month after Takamiyama’s naturalization, the JSA officially added the nationality clause to its rules and regulations.

Continued

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It was specifically "Future without Hakuho unthinkable for sumo" in my case, but yeah.

14 hours ago, RaeucherLax said:

I understood that the women in those ceremonies are the wives of stablemaster, but I've never understood their actual role.
Now it's clear. 

Many thanks!

Miki focuses on the Tochinoshin-v.-Hakuho bout on Day 12 of the Summer Tourney.  The article provides a good assessment of the Georgian's new (?) fighting style, but Miki does not address other aspects of the bout such as whether Hakuho "gave" Tochinoshin his preferred grip, not to mention the subsequent wrist injury.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0004492544

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

An article about women’s sumo:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/19/its-exhilarating-japans-female-sumo-wrestlers-take-on-sexism

This being the Guardian, which only notices sumo when there’s a scandal like the Harumafuji thing, the focus is very much on the sexism. It’s not even in the sport section of the paper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/19/its-exhilarating-japans-female-sumo-wrestlers-take-on-sexism

This being the Guardian, which only notices sumo when there’s a scandal like the Harumafuji thing, the focus is very much on the sexism. It’s not even in the sport section of the paper.

I don't know why they bother wearing mawashi, it just looks silly with all those other clothes underneath. Some male American Sumo do the same thing and it looks just as stupid.

14 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

I stopped reading after:

Many hope the ban on women joining the professional sumo ranks will one day be overturned, proving that deep-seated misogyny has no place in a sport striving to be accepted as an Olympic event.

Almost impressive how much nonsense the writer managed to pack into that one sentence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Marcus33 said:

I don't know why they bother wearing mawashi, it just looks silly with all those other clothes underneath. Some male American Sumo do the same thing and it looks just as stupid.

Without mawashi it’s not sumo, it’s just wrestling. Any technique on the belt would be out the window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Mr. Gunning on keiko- not to be missed!!

Great article,  very interesting inside view. One's got the feeling that it used to be even harder in the past when you take a look at the Butsugari-Keiko Video that Herouth (@SumoFollower) from the Tachiai blog posted lately (tough to watch for an old softy like myself,  but I imagine that's the way it used to be at the time... as can be seen they did this in front of an audience with kids)

• Thanks 3

7 hours ago, John Gunning said:

In the past? 

(Beaten...)

(Injonokuchi...) oh well... I thought that stuff like kicking, the use of a stick, spitting and rubbing salt in the face would be something that you don't see anymore, or at least not in front of an audience. But maybe I am just hopelessly romantic ;-)