Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

As the longest serving ozeki in the history of the sport...

Doesn't Chiyotaikai still hold that record?

Edited by Washuyama

As the longest serving ozeki in the history of the sport...

Doesn't Chiyotaikai still hold that record?

Yes, he does. Kaio still needs another three basho at ozeki to equal him.

MB optimistic about new broadcasts and disses the NHK broadcasts. As an aside, seems that his editors were not much more awake than the NHK viewers he describes-at least two glaring typos went unnoticed.. Edited by Kintamayama

MB optimistic about new broadcasts and disses the NHK broadcasts. As an aside, seems that his editors were not much more awake than the NHK viewers he describes-at least two glaring typos went unnoticed..

Try at least 3, plus a few grammatical errors. Putting documents through spellcheck is not the cure if correctly spelled words are misused to begin with.

I wonder how any of our English-language broadcast members, at least those who care to read the piece, or are even on this forum, will take to the comments concerning their efforts.

Just sayin' ;-)

Try at least 3, plus a few grammatical errors. Putting documents through spellcheck is not the cure if correctly spelled words are misused to begin with.

I wonder how any of our English-language broadcast members, at least those who care to read the piece, or are even on this forum, will take to the comments concerning their efforts.

I can offer a bit of background information on his comment on the English-language commentators, to wit: ..."most lack the approachability crucial to modern-day sports presentation."

Since he discovered that he'd shot himself in the foot trying to get us fired and replaced by himself and his own nominees, he has been making overtures of friendship. In my case there have been one or two offers of possible work -- to which I have replied, truthfully, that I already have all the work I can handle. I may have added, on occasion, that I am simply not available to sit by the phone at home on call at all hours to do interviews for a lot of little local radio stations.

FWIW, Doreen

I can offer a bit of background information on his comment on the English-language commentators, to wit: ..."most lack the approachability crucial to modern-day sports presentation."

Since he discovered that he'd shot himself in the foot trying to get us fired and replaced by himself and his own nominees, he has been making overtures of friendship. In my case there have been one or two offers of possible work -- to which I have replied, truthfully, that I already have all the work I can handle. I may have added, on occasion, that I am simply not available to sit by the phone at home on call at all hours to do interviews for a lot of little local radio stations.

FWIW, Doreen

Thanks, Doreen. I, for one, look forward to your and the other English language people's return to the broadcasts. Well, most of you, anyway (Sign of approval...)

MB optimistic about new broadcasts and disses the NHK broadcasts. As an aside, seems that his editors were not much more awake than the NHK viewers he describes-at least two glaring typos went unnoticed..

Quite a lot of misused punctuation too. I also have to question his choice of what to translate and what not to. "Basho", "yaocho", "rikishi", "Nihon Sumo Kyokai", "sekitori" all in Japanese, but "heya" becomes "stable" for some reason. I've always hated that translation. It doesn't even make any sense, and invites invidious comparisons.

Just sayin' (Sign of approval...)

I have to admit that some of the English-language commentators (present company included) are much more pleasant to listen to than others (not present).

As for his remarks about post-victory interviews -- does he even watch any other sports? It's not as if you get incisive, intelligent questions and answers from sports interviews in general. If he thinks sumo interviews are inane, he should try watching American football post-game shows sometime.

Edited by Kuroyama

Not sure if anyone posted James Hardy's latest offering...

Sumo Faces Own Crisis

As the rest of the country watches Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) try to end its nuclear crisis in Fukushima Prefecture, another bastion of doing things the old-fashioned Japanese way has been suffering a meltdown of its own.

The Japan Sumo Association's (JSA) de facto dismissal of 21 wrestlers and 2 elders for match fixing last month marked the sport's most severe bloodletting in the post-war period.

What this latest sumo scandal and the TEPCO nuclear crisis have in common is that circumstances beyond both organisations' control have now torn down a curtain of tatemae that had up to now protected practices that were at best incompetent, and at worst deeply corrupt...

http://the-diplomat.com/a-new-japan/2011/0...ces-own-crisis/

Edited by Otokonoyama

CNN now joining in the fray, translation more or less of an article from yesterday in the Japanese press, but they got one piece of relevant information very wrong.

THE INSIDE GRIP / Successful show just the start

THE REST IS HERE.

Great article John! Keep it up!

THE REST IS HERE.

Great article John! Keep it up!

As I posted on the ML:

I love John's features. He gives information, is for the most part fair and balanced (no FOX reference), and writes very well covering so many facets and providing otherwise unobtainable insights. It's so refreshing to have an unbiased account, unopinionated, non-elitist view of what's going on in the world of sumo as "insiders" know and love it. I'm really excited at former Wakanoho's desire to return to sumo.

No "Mission Accomplished" banner hung over JSA chairman Hanaregoma as he gave his tournament-closing address in Ryogoku Kokugikan on Sunday to warm applause and shouts of "Gambare, sumo."

A little hubris would have been understandable as the association emerged from the nontelevised event with a potentially enlarged fan base and a new star on the dohyo in the form of 24-year-old Kaisei.

The challenge for the JSA now will be to build on the success of the past fortnight and hold on to those new fans.

The palpable sense of relief in the arena was best expressed by Georgian Gagamaru when he told The Inside Grip..............

THE REST IS HERE.

I'm one of those new fans that the article mentions, i used to watch Sumo as a kid with my father many years ago when channel 4 in the UK used to cover it, our joint favourite was Chiyonofuji, but since then channel 4 stopped covering it, the years passed and i largely forgot about Sumo until recently where i remembered the good times and checked it out on youtube, i found a channel where the gentleman whom it belongs to had uploaded many bouts from the makuuchi division, and i was hooked once again, I regret that i let so many years pass without following this great sport.

There are quite a few reasons why i like Sumo, mainly it is the culture and tradition, the way the wrestlers names are sung out, the magnificent clothing of the referees, all different and beautifully embroidered, the respect the wrestlers show one another, even the shape and appearance of the ring is fascinating to me, with that roof that hangs over it, and i also very much like the fact that although Sumo is a contact sport it is also very dignified, there are many other reasons but those i think are the main ones.

A very interesting article, thank you :)

Edited by Bugman

I love John's features. He gives information, is for the most part fair and balanced (no FOX reference), and writes very well covering so many facets and providing otherwise unobtainable insights. It's so refreshing to have an unbiased account, unopinionated, non-elitist view of what's going on in the world of sumo as "insiders" know and love it. I'm really excited at former Wakanoho's desire to return to sumo.

I agree. John's coverage is both honest and knowledgeable. There's been a bit of a gap since James returned to the UK, and personally I am delighted that the baton, apparently dropped for a time, has been taken up again.

Orion, too busy to return to open competition (when Kansai Time Out went bust under new Japanese ownership, it carried my 'Sumo Focus' column #155). Good luck to my successors! (Showing respect...)