Sign in to follow this  
Doitsuyama

Day 7 results and day 8 pairings

Hakuho threw Miyabiyama down with an uwatenage to secure a big kensho haul and stay undefeated. The two sanyaku rikishi at one win behind also won as the other yokozuna Asashoryu beat Dejima and komusubi Kotoshogiku had no problems pushing his rival Toyonoshima out. Tomorrow we'll have the important bout between Hakuho and Kotoshogiku, possibly Kotoshogiku's last sanyaku bout as Chiyotaikai already is 0-7 with a loss to Tokitenku. Kaio was the sole winning ozeki, showing solid sumo against Tochinonada as the Sadogatake-beya ozeki duo of Kotomitsuki and Kotooshu was overmatched against the Isegahama sekiwake duo of Ama and Aminishiki.

Only two maegashira rikishi are left at 6-1 with Takekaze and Kyokutenho as Iwakiyama, Futeno and Kakuryu lost today. Tosanoumi got his first win against Yoshikaze in a bout between two rikishi in danger of demotion to juryo. Kakizoe at 1-6 and Tamanoshima at 2-5 lost and aren't doing well this basho and have to win a few more too. Takamisakari had a strong win over Wakanoho to improve to 3-4.

There aren't any undefeated rikishi in juryo anymore as Kitataiki lost to Toyozakura. Mongolian shin-juyro Tamawashi joined the lead with a win over Masatsukasa, but Hoshihikari and Tochinoshin missed as they lost too. Ryuo, Sakaizawa and Kotokasuga all won and at 5-2 have a good view at a makuuchi promotion.

Day 7

Juryo

Ms3e   Wakatenro (3-1)	 hikiotoshi	 J13e   Kirinowaka (1-6)
J12e   Satoyama (2-5)	  katasukashi	J10w   Asofuji (2-5)
J13w   Tamawashi (6-1)	 oshidashi	  J10e   Masatsukasa (4-3)
J9w	Shirononami (4-3)   shitatehineri  J12w   Tochinoshin (5-2)
J14w   Tochinohana (1-6)   hatakikomi	 J9e	Katayama (0-7)
J14e   Wakakoyu (4-3)	  tsukidashi	 J8w	Hakuba (4-3)
J8e	Kitazakura (5-2)	oshidashi	  J11w   Kimurayama (4-3)
J6w	Toyozakura (4-3)	kubinage	   J11e   Kitataiki (6-1)
J7e	Mokonami (3-4)	  yorikiri	   J5w	Hoshihikari (5-2)
J3e	Sakaizawa (5-2)	 yorikiri	   J7w	Shunketsu (2-5)
J2w	Ryuo (5-2)		  hikiotoshi	 J6e	Ushiomaru (1-6)
J2e	Chiyohakuho (2-5)   tsukidashi	 J5e	Hochiyama (4-3)
J4e	Kotokasuga (5-2)	oshidashi	  J1w	Koryu (3-4)
J4w	Otsukasa (3-4)	  oshitaoshi	 J1e	Kasuganishiki (2-5)

Makuuchi

M16w   Kaiho (4-3)		 yorikiri	   J3w	Hakurozan (2-5)
M16e   Ichihara (5-2)	  hikiotoshi	 M13w   Tamanoshima (2-5)
M12w   Tosanoumi (1-6)	 yorikiri	   M15w   Yoshikaze (3-4)
M15e   Tochiozan (4-3)	 yorikiri	   M11e   Kakizoe (1-6)
M10w   Kyokutenho (6-1)	yorikiri	   M13e   Iwakiyama (5-2)
M14e   Takamisakari (3-4)  yoritaoshi	 M10e   Wakanoho (4-3)
M9w	Wakakirin (1-6)	 oshitaoshi	 M12e   Futeno (5-2)
M9e	Kokkai (5-2)		yorikiri	   M8w	Toyohibiki (2-5)
M11w   Kasugao (4-3)	   yorikiri	   M8e	Kakuryu (5-2)
M7e	Takekaze (6-1)	  hatakikomi	 M6w	Hokutoriki (3-4)
M6e	Baruto (4-3)		yorikiri	   M7w	Homasho (3-4)

M4w	Asasekiryu (5-2)	uwatedashinage M5e	Roho (2-5)
M4e	Wakanosato (3-4)	oshidashi	  M5w	Tamakasuga (3-4)
M1e	Kisenosato (5-2)	yorikiri	   M3e	Goeido (1-6)
K1e	Kotoshogiku (6-1)   oshidashi	  M2e	Toyonoshima (3-4)
S1w	Ama (4-3)		   yorikiri	   O1w	Kotomitsuki (3-4)
M1w	Tokitenku (2-5)	 okuridashi	 O1e	Chiyotaikai (0-7)
S1e	Aminishiki (5-2)	oshidashi	  O2w	Kotooshu (4-3)
O2e	Kaio (4-3)		  yorikiri	   M3w	Tochinonada (2-5)
Y1w	Asashoryu (6-1)	 sukuinage	  K1w	Dejima (2-5)
Y1e	Hakuho (7-0)		uwatenage	  M2w	Miyabiyama (2-5)

Day 8

Juryo

J13e   Kirinowaka (1-6)				   J14w   Tochinohana (1-6)
J12e   Satoyama (2-5)					 Ms1w   Tochisakae (1-3)
J10e   Masatsukasa (4-3)				  J11e   Kitataiki (6-1)
J12w   Tochinoshin (5-2)				  J10w   Asofuji (2-5)
J8e	Kitazakura (5-2)				   J14e   Wakakoyu (4-3)
J13w   Tamawashi (6-1)					J8w	Hakuba (4-3)
J7e	Mokonami (3-4)					 J11w   Kimurayama (4-3)
J9e	Katayama (0-7)					 J7w	Shunketsu (2-5)
J4e	Kotokasuga (5-2)				   J9w	Shirononami (4-3)
J3e	Sakaizawa (5-2)					J6w	Toyozakura (4-3)
J6e	Ushiomaru (1-6)					J3w	Hakurozan (2-5)
J4w	Otsukasa (3-4)					 J2w	Ryuo (5-2)
J1e	Kasuganishiki (2-5)				J5w	Hoshihikari (5-2)
J5e	Hochiyama (4-3)					J1w	Koryu (3-4)

Makuuchi

M14e   Takamisakari (3-4)				 J2e	Chiyohakuho (2-5)
M16w   Kaiho (4-3)						M13w   Tamanoshima (2-5)
M12e   Futeno (5-2)					   M15w   Yoshikaze (3-4)
M15e   Tochiozan (4-3)					M12w   Tosanoumi (1-6)
M16e   Ichihara (5-2)					 M10w   Kyokutenho (6-1)
M11e   Kakizoe (1-6)					  M9w	Wakakirin (1-6)
M8e	Kakuryu (5-2)					  M13e   Iwakiyama (5-2)
M7e	Takekaze (6-1)					 M11w   Kasugao (4-3)
M10e   Wakanoho (4-3)					 M7w	Homasho (3-4)
M6e	Baruto (4-3)					   M9e	Kokkai (5-2)
M5e	Roho (2-5)						 M8w	Toyohibiki (2-5)

M6w	Hokutoriki (3-4)				   M5w	Tamakasuga (3-4)
M2e	Toyonoshima (3-4)				  M4w	Asasekiryu (5-2)
M4e	Wakanosato (3-4)				   M1w	Tokitenku (2-5)
S1e	Aminishiki (5-2)				   M2w	Miyabiyama (2-5)
K1w	Dejima (2-5)					   S1w	Ama (4-3)
O2e	Kaio (4-3)						 O1w	Kotomitsuki (3-4)
O1e	Chiyotaikai (0-7)				  M3e	Goeido (1-6)
M1e	Kisenosato (5-2)				   O2w	Kotooshu (4-3)
Y1e	Hakuho (7-0)					   K1e	Kotoshogiku (6-1)
M3w	Tochinonada (2-5)				  Y1w	Asashoryu (6-1)

Chiyotaikai is kyujo from tomorrow, according to a small blurb in Sports Hochi's daily summary.

i was watching the Juryo bouts now and i noticed that Tochinoshin might have hurt his big toe ... we'll see about that i guess. His loss was bad too. His reaction to Shirononami's blocking of his right arm was not ideal.

Tochinohana seems to have gained a bit of weight. Not much keiko lately? no wonder he can only win against 0-7 Katayama.

Hakuba is a mystery to me. When he loses he makes it look sooooo easy. I though better of him.

Kitazakura's sumo is far from ideal. He makes big steps on the dohyo and manages to lose contact with the clay all the time. Sometimes i wonder how can he win. The bout against Kimurayama was a really bad one.

Kitataiki must be joking .. what the hell did he expect when he gave a look at the gyoji? hilarious .... Kitazakura-style stuff.

Mokonami's tachi-ai was far better than Hoshihikari's. Hoshi tried to bounce back and gave a bit too much so he lost his balance, going all the way to the tawara. His amazing dohyo sense and relaxed style let him recover and lead the fight back to the center. Mokonami's bigger built lead to this result i think. Hoshi had a good chance to go for a dashinage when Mononami tried to change his grip but he didn't....

Sakaizawa continues his unimpressive performance.

Ryuo probably has the best tachi-ai stance in Juryo and Makuuchi but his actual "take-off" is lame. His tsupparis afterwards were not impressive either but a win is a win ....

While this basho is Hakuho's to lose, Kyokutenho is the dark horse to keep your eye on.

Kotoosho disgusts me. What lame sumo.

While this basho is Hakuho's to lose, Kyokutenho is the dark horse to keep your eye on.

He's still easily capable of dominating the M10 crowd (this basho is hardly unusual in that regard), but as soon as they're bringing him up against the likes of Asasekiryu and Miyabiyama, he's no better than 50/50 odds to win any bout IMO. I doubt he'll finish closer than 3 wins to the yusho line.

there were some good bouts in Makuuchi too.

- Kaiho got his usual morozashi against a much taller opponent but managed to defend the kimedashi/taoshi due to the deep grip he had. His sotogake attempts made Rozan lose his balance and the yorikiri came easily. I am always afraid of much taller opponents when it comes to Kaiho (Tenho,Rozan,Roho,Baruto,Sakari) so i am very happy for the win.

- Tosanoumi and Yoshikaze gave a nice display of harite sumo but there were so many pull attempts that it lost some of its quality. Nice to see Tosanoumi win once in a a while.

- Tochiozan seems to have found his good de-ashi, something that was the major characteristic of his sumo in the past. A good Tochiozan is pleasure to the yotsu fans.

- Wakanoho thought that by jumping to the side he would earn those kensho envelopes easily but when you fight Takamisakari you can never be certain about anything. Sakari fought well ... (Sign of approval...) . I am amazed i said that .... (Laughing...)

- Hokutoriki is pain to my Hakkaku-loving eyes. Just make him stop ... Takekaze is my man this basho.

- Kokkai and Toyohibiki both had a powerful tachi-ai. Kokkai's follow-up was fierce too. Good boy kokkai ... good boy ....

- Kasugao did some oshi (well ...) and then showed he can do orthodox yotsu too .... i am pleased ;-)

- Homasho blocked Baruto's arm well but the Estonian showed great power and broke the grip easily. Easy stuff from then on. I am surprised that Homer showed so little resilience to Bart's strength. (Shaking head...)

- Asasekiryu taught sumo today. "Get the left uwate fast even though your opponent has a great tachi-ai. Move to the side in order to prepare a dashinage move. If you fail just keep your head buried in your opponent's chest and keep your balance with a wide base. When your aite messes up the positioning of his legs by keeping them too wide but also too linear, you lower further your center of gravity and twist your hips to the side. Even if you don't manage to throw down your opponent you will at least accomplish to block his arm in an uncomfortable position and with the leverage you will push him in an ideal position to get okuri. Just go with the flow from then on ... Congratulations you won your bout."

- Kisenosato was very relaxed during the tachi-ai of the tori-naoshi. Relaxed flow and then powerful impact. You could tell he would win from the get-go. First time in his career that i enjoy watching him fight. Weird .... (Eh?)

- Asashoryu was pushed back by Dejima and that's not good but he was really relaxed and just did what has to be done when it comes to fighting-off Dejima. Just move to the side and he'll fall. I liked his cool posture afterwards ....

Edited by aderechelsea

This is the first time in nearly 6 years (Natsu '02) that Tamanoshima has done this poorly from such a low rank (Sign of approval...) The only other 3 times as a double figure makuuchi rank got double figure wins. He'd have to win out to get that now. Contrasting fortunes to Kisenosato, are we witnessing the beginning of the end for the powerful 30 year old ? I hope not, but it's not looking too hot. Is there an injury I don't know about ?

This is the first time in nearly 6 years (Natsu '02) that Tamanoshima has done this poorly from such a low rank ;-) ... Is there an injury I don't know about ?

That's easy to explain: it's the first time I picked him for my Bench Sumo team. (Sign of approval...)

Can't wait for Hakuho against Kotoshogiku.

They both look amazing.

Tamanoshima's injuries are not new(s) though it looks as if their effect became more manifest in the very recent basho. Even injured he had been able to achieve a considerable part of his potential but now age, bad knees and shoulder have made a bad "synergy" pushing him down and down...

Another jikan-mae by Kitazakura. The most spirited match I have seen out of him in a long time against Wakakoyu. Kita no kachi.

Day 7
Makuuchi
M14e   Takamisakari (3-4)				 J2e	Chiyohakuho (2-5)

First time Takamisakari has met a Juryo in 6 years, and he lost it.

Edited by Asojima

First time Takamisakari has met a Juryo in 6 years, and he lost it.

That's just an act of charity from our favourite apple farmer because Chiyohakuho will never earn any kensho of his own.