Sign in to follow this  
Kuroyama

Yokozuna dohyo-iri

I noticed just now that Hakuho looks to have become much better at performing his dohyo-iri than a basho or two ago. He's actually a pleasure to watch, and his style is much smoother, and less deliberate and ponderous than Asashoryu's.

I don't like their yokozuna dohyou-iri. I don't like their body movements especially when they are front of north side and slap their hands.

I prefer Asashoryu's deliberate style. Gives it a certain weight. Hakuho still isn't that smooth and goes too quickly.

I'm not saying I dislike Asa's style, although I have to say all that bouncing he does is a bit annoying. It's good to see some variation, apart from Unryu vs. Shiranui. Sumo isn't a slow sport, so perhaps some briskness in the doyho-iri isn't out of place.

One time, back when Kitanoumi and Wajima did their dohyo-iri.......

( :-) Just for you Nishi... )

One time, back when Kitanoumi and Wajima did their dohyo-iri.......

Yeah!!! They were both real class acts that would put the current ones to shame. :-)

Asa and Haku go thru the motions of the dohyo-iri. Waj and Kita performed the ceremony. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the iri's performed by any of the yokozuna in between.

Edited by Asojima

I prefer Asashoryu's deliberate style. Gives it a certain weight. Hakuho still isn't that smooth and goes too quickly.

At least we don't have to sit through any like those of Akebono and Musahimaru where they were so top heavy that they could hardly lift their feet above knee height. :-)

I have to say I really liked Akebono's dohyou-iri. I know the man could barely lift his legs, but his seri-agari (where he rises from the low stance) had a beautiful rhythm to it. Now if only he could do a chiyonofuji-esque shiko, his would be one of the best I've seen...

Now that I know that it's called segi agari, Musashimaru's comes to mind. He always reminded me of a

giant baby sea turtle, when they're headed for the sea. (cute little fellows (Punk rocker...) )

Wakanohana III was impressive in his dohyo-iri (shiranui style). There's a video of one somewhere. I've been watching videos of other dohyo-iri, but this particular one is for me the best : calm, inner power, style, rythm. (Sign of approval...)

Asashoryu's is OK, Hakuho's still needs improvement, I think.

Wakanohana III was impressive in his dohyo-iri

In more ways than one.

17.jpg

This picture is the example I show people who laugh at sumo as "a bunch of fat guys in diapers bouncing bellies." Follow that up with a few pics of Chiyonofuji and vids of Asashoryu bouts...

At least we don't have to sit through any like those of Akebono and Musahimaru where they were so top heavy that they could hardly lift their feet above knee height. ;-)

I suppose a Konishiki dyoho iri would have been a real treat for you (Applauding...)