Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Hakuhou training Hatsu 2008

"If he has problems finding keiko partners, he is invited to visit us!! He can train with Hakuhou as much as he likes. If my guy can't show strong sumo against someone who's been away from the dohyo for half a year he should be ashamed of himself.. I'd like it to go 10-1 in Hakuhou's favor", declared Miyagino's attached Oyakata Kumagatani, Hakuhou's mentor today, calling Asa to come and train with the other Yokozuna. Hakuhou did some light training today as his eternal keiko partner Ryuuou was ill. He then played some softball with Kakuryuu (wasn't he murdered by Asa at winter jungyo??) and others..

"Bring on the shin-deshi!!'

20071213-621910-1-L.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

isn't there lots and lots pictures lately of rikishi in plain clothes?

is it the winter? are they just jealous of Asa? :-)

isn't there lots and lots pictures lately of rikishi in plain clothes?

is it the winter? are they just jealous of Asa? :-)

Try as they may, they will NEVER look as cool and "hand over that protection money" as Asa:

20071213-621891-1-L.jpg

Hakuhou did some light training today as his eternal keiko partner Ryuuou was ill. He then played some softball with Kakuryuu (wasn't he murdered by Asa at winter jungyo??) and others..

If he were, the Asa problem would have been already solved by me ;-) :-)

Hakuho's a lefty? Didn't know/forgot that.

I'm right-handed, yet I bat left-handed, so I wouldn't put too much in that, although I did notice that picture too..

If he were, the Asa problem would have been already solved by me (Beaten...) ;-)

:-D (Laughing...)

Hakuho's a lefty? Didn't know/forgot that.

I'm right-handed, yet I bat left-handed, so I wouldn't put too much in that, although I did notice that picture too..

Well, he does always jump for the left hand grip. Isn't Asa also a lefty, or just for kensho? ;-)

Myself, a true southpaw, but I run with scissors in my right.

Hakuhou had 21 training bouts against Ryuuou at home yesterday. But that's not the interesting point. After keiko he proceeded to candidly comment on Asashouryuu's recent actions. "I watched it on TV, but he said "damn it" under his breath.. This was supposed to originally be about him admitting his mistakes to the press and fans who were all gathered to hear him out. He can't be doing that as a yokozuna!", offered the other Yokozuna.

Being brought up by a former Mongolian sumo Yokozuna, he was taught how to behave in a "proper way. "I've seen this kind of attitude and behavior before, of guys at the top acting up. When I was a child I couldn't understand it , but now that I'm a Yokozuna myself, I can. A Yokozuna is the representative of the Sumo world and cannot act rashly!", he added. Still he acknowledged that "the other side has won 21 yusho and I have only 5, so I'm not worthy to be called his rival yet.."

Hakuhou trains-

Guy in the background:"Who ordered Asa on a platter?"

s-sp-071216-4-ns.jpg

Hakuhou who is aiming for his third straight yusho has decided to change his honbasho mawashi and go for a light-brown one (cocoa color, could be a better translation..). He has had it since he was promoted to Yokozuna but never used it because it was too "hard". He has been using it on jungyo, and now that he has gotten used to it, has decided to don it for Hatsu. "It's an unusual color, so..", he explained. He will be using his greenish -blue mawashi on jungyo from now on.

Myself, a true southpaw, but I run with scissors in my right.

I'm right-handed, but use scissors left-handed. Probably because my elder brother (by 2 years) - who is left-handed - was the one who taught me to cut. I find it difficult to cut right-handed.

Hakuhou participated in the Tatsunami Ichimon Rengo Keiko (Ichimon's everyone's keiko) and had 17 bouts with the likes of Aminishiki and Ama. 9 of these bouts were against Ama who has beaten him in the last two bashos. Hakuhou won 7-2. He lost the first two by uwatedashinage etc., but won the next 7. "I managed to do good keiko. I tried all kinds of moves and it was good", he said.

Arriving at the rikishi-kai yesterday:

KFullNormal20071222150_l.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

The 17 bouts' results:

7-2 against Ama

3-0 against Aminishiki

2-0 against Kyokutenhou

2-1 against Kasugaou

Total - 14-3

Hakuhou really hasn't been training so hard so far - much less than Asa, for sure. No keiko today either- he played some catch and did some mochi-tsuki. "That was great keiko", he joked. The younger deshi were seen smearing him with rice powder before the mochi-tsuki, an act that brought laughs all around. "Two Yokozuna.. that sounds great. I hope we both reach senshuraku with a zensho, and I know I have to be careful not to lose easily,", he said. But still, insufficient keiko so far. "The pace is a bit too slow. The other side looks to be in great shape and has built up confidence. Our side should start upping the pace rather urgently..", warned Kumegatani, mentor of Hakuhou. The plan is to get serious from January 3rd.

Two days ago, WBC Flyweight world champion boxer Naito Daisuke came to visit Miyagino. A few days before that they met at the Houchi Sports prize awards and hit it off. An interesting rivalry may be brewing-Hakuhou and Naito, against Asashouryuu and the Kameda brothers.."I'll gambarize and we'll be great rivals fort Asa and the brothers. Should be fun..", he said. Naito donned a mawashi for the first time, and did some keiko with Hakuhou, borrowing his chest as well- all this for about half an hour. Then they had chanko together. Naito promised to come watch Hakuhou at the basho, and invited him to come train with him at his boxing gym. "Maybe I'll knock him down then..", he speculated.

Hakuhou and Naito:

Hakuhou: "Oh, there you are.. you were standing sideways so I lost you for a moment.."

20071229-755660-1-L.jpg

Tsukebito:"How much salt should I put on him before we eat him??"

20071228-751456-1-L.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Hakuhou auditioning for "Phantom of the Opera":

20071231-767417-1-L.jpg

Whackamoru:

20071231k0000m050026000p_size5.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

20071231k0000m050026000p_size5.jpg

Tsukebito: Soyu wa na Wakamoru? I'm sure there's one left in here somewhere...

Hakuho is just testing the replacement for the recently banned baseball bats and shovels.

Lightweight boxers are becoming to yokozunae what little yappy dogs are to hollywood bimbos. (I am not worthy...)

Edited to add: I really wish that Hakuho had better training discipline. He seems to not really care these last few bashos. I don't see him striving as hard as Asa did in his first year as yokozuna.

Edited by Gusoyama

Not to be outdone by Asashouryuu, Hakuhou had 30 training bouts today at home. "A third straight yusho is my main objective. This year, I would like to leave a bigger mark as a yokozuna!", he declared. Yesterday, he didn't show up for the opening of the heya's keiko, causing some people in the press and at the heya to question his action. It was the opening of the new year's keiko, and the whole heya was there. It is a tradition thingy. Nobody knew why he was away.. "He musta been sleepin'.", drawled Kumegatani Oyakata mentor. "I have no idea where he is", said Miyagino Oyakata. A Yokozuna missing keiko without permission.. Now why does that sound familiar??. "

"I thought soken was tomorrow so I really went all the way in keiko..'.Hakuhou thought the soken was tomorrow, but he was wrong. All 30 bouts were against Juryo Ryuuou of course.

He is planning on starting degeiko tomorrow. "As usual, I'll be gradually upping the pace", he said. As for Asa: "I'll be borrowing his chest..", summed Hakuhou, implying his wish to train with the other Yokozuna.

KFullFlash20080104031_l.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

"Huh? Keiko started yesterday? I did not know that.. I myself planned on starting today..", explained Hakuhou why he was absent without permission yesterday.

"Everyone is expecting you to do well so you have to get serious with the keiko. If you don't do it like you should, it's no good", said an angry Kumegatani Mentor. Hakuhou finally got to use his brand new keiko mawashi today, the whitest of whites:

20080105-00000038-spn-spo-thum-000.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Hakuhou is planning to go for degeiko either at Isegahama or Dewanoumi beya today. Guess who has the same plans. Will we see a double Yokozuna degeiko and some subsequent skirmishes? We'll know in a few hours. "If he meets up with Asa, he has orders to do sanban geiko with him.. It's imperative Hakuhou has a chance to size up the opposition!", promised Kumagatani Mentor. The last time they met up in keiko was at Naruto beya before last July, and they ended up 5-5-1.

30 foreign visitors from California were present at the keiko session.

"I'm in good condition. Degeiko? I intend to go tomorrow, maybe to Dewanoumi", he said earlier today.

Seeing all the reporters: "Asashouryuu was resting so it seems they all came here today. I wonder where they would have gone if I were resting as well.. Going to a gym? No, I am not. I believe in doing keiko on the dohyo. When I go for degeiko, I don't need to check with anyone", he said. "It seems that he may be going at it at his own pace, but he says he knows what he's doing, and he has been doing more serious keiko these last days, so I'm not worried", said Kumagatani about Hakuhou.

Man, the pics are becoming smaller and smaller..Hakuhou and Ryuuou:

20080106-00000043-spn-spo-thum-000.jpg

"Yes, it's a flower.. Like you can do a better one.."

20080106-805389-1-L.jpg

"Then he pulled Shuzan's mage like so and got disqualified.. Hehehe, that was funny.."

080106sp20080106091_MDE00056G080105T.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

been busy off the dohyo has Hakuho - creating his own brand of 'do' although methinks our own Mr. P might be a tad peeved at the youngster's mistaken spelling!

post-208-1199585707_thumb.jpg

The only thing right about all the Hakuhou keiko speculations from yesterday was that he did go for his first degeiko this time around. No Dewanoumi beya, or Isegahama beya. No head to head with Asashouryuu. Instead, he went to Kasugano beya and had it out with Tochinonada, Tochiouzan and new Juryo Kimurayama. 25 bouts, won them all. "I did my own sumo till the end, and that's a good thing", he said after the session. He didn't seem to be out of breath, but his tachiai was clearly lacking intensity. "I'm going at it at my own pace. There's still enough time till the start of the basho so I'm not going to rush things", he explained, adding that he intends to do more degeiko-ing.

"Sometimes, I just like to watch"- Hakuhou at degeiko today:

f-sp-080106-3305-ns.jpg

Hakuhou realizing he forgot to turn off something at home:

20080106-00000014-jijp-spo-view-000.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama