Sign in to follow this  
Hashira

Kintamayama

Mr. Kintamayama- i just found out what kintama means....how did you come up with that name?

Mr. Kintamayama- i just found out what kintama means....how did you come up with that name?

I dreamt about it at night.. Actually, it just sounded right..

But since I do have that tendency to ruin jokes, it's probably real stale..

Heh, didn't we already have a short discussion about your nice-sounding shikona (at least to english ears), Fukunoyama? That's funny, your shikona sounds indecent, but isn't , while its the other way around with Kintamayama. I guess Moti didn't ever dream of entering sumo games on Japanese websites with this shikona when he invented it, right? (Neener, neener...)

• Like 1

Heh, didn't we already have a short discussion about your nice-sounding shikona (at least to english ears), Fukunoyama? That's funny, your shikona sounds indecent, but isn't , while its the other way around with Kintamayama. I guess Moti didn't ever dream of entering sumo games on Japanese websites with this shikona when he invented it, right? (First prize...)

but he his play japanese games with this shikona alexander (Neener, neener...)

Amanogawa (who is Japanese in case someone doesn't know that) said that some Japanese ML member or so asked her about this Kintamayama person and if he knows what his shikona means... (Neener, neener...)

Amanogawa btw finds it very entertaining to read foreigner's cyber shikona and come to think of it, no wonder it is funny to native Japanese speaker to encounter these interesting innovations by foreigners (First prize...)

My original cyber shikona was Purukumi which was most amusing in our Rijicho's point of view allthough others (non-Finns) didn't understand the funny part.

I *loved* Purukumi even before I found out what it means... (Neener, neener...)

I guess Moti didn't ever dream of entering sumo games on Japanese websites with this shikona when he invented it, right? (Neener, neener...)

When I invented it, I never dreamed of entring ANY Sumo games. I joined the ML, and everyone had shikonas, so I got myself one. I had a few alternatives. Suffice it to say that Kintamayama was a very "gentle" compromise.. BTW, who on earth invented Doitsuyama??

When I first joined the ML, some esteemed veteran members asked me privately to change it, but I couldn't let them ruin my joke, now could I??

The whole issue of names sounding funny in a different language is entertaining... There are many classic cases where companies did not thoroughly research the local translation or connotation of their product name before marketing it. For examples, see Classic Marketing Bloopers -- it's worth a few minutes to read for pure funny value (Showing respect...)

A friend of mine once told me about a colleague who went to England for a few days. The people there always seemed to look annoyed or even angry when he introduced himself. Not surprising, I guess, when your name is Dick Kok...... :-/

I once saw a girl named Melena. I'm willing to bet her parents weren't medical doctors. :-)

UGH, thanks for making me look at that definition :-) I hope the girl was better :-/

Cheers

Z.

The german footballer Franko Foda made his only Match for the National Team in Brazil. When his Name was read during training, the stadium burst out in laughter, as it translates in Portugese as "free fu**ing".

In the Match he then was simply introducd as "Franko".

• Like 1

Urban legend claims Italy was about to nominate a new ambassador to Finland. Man in question was named Luigi V***u, the family name being a vulgar expression for the most fascinating part of female anatomy. Embassy suggested him be more suitable to some other country. V***u is a real (although rare, I believe) Italian family name so the story might even be true...

Now that i'm starting to understand shikona, your's caught me off-guard. Well done (Laughing...)

I know that reviving old threads is frowned upon, but I enjoy seeing these old faces again.

On 20/01/2018 at 20:52, Jakusotsu said:

I know that reviving old threads is frowned upon, but I enjoy seeing these old faces again.

My turn to revive an inactive thread! 

I'd say that that rule doesn't really need to apply in the Sumo Forum, save for exceptional cases (if we have two threads on the front page of Ozumo on the subject of ozeki promotions and someone revives a third one from 2007). 

The volume of posts in the forum, especially in subforums such as Off-topic and Sumo Information makes bumping old threads more of a pleasant window to the recent past/ trip down memory lane than a nuisance. And we revive old threads regularly anyway whenever we get new developments on an ongoing or old story. Not to mention long and storied threads like Trivia Bits or Games Bugs that routinely drop off the front page during the off-season and get revived again during honbasho. 

On 28/09/2003 at 16:39, Usagi said:

The german footballer Franko Foda made his only Match for the National Team in Brazil. When his Name was read during training, the stadium burst out in laughter, as it translates in Portugese as "free fu**ing".

In the Match he then was simply introducd as "Franko".

Aha, this maybe corroborates the story I heard about the British lorry company 'Foden' causing problems for drivers who travelled to Portugal...

• Like 1

Cross-language stuff is always dumb and hilrious at the same time. Especially of course with companies, brands etc. (Pajero, MR2...)

My favourite Turkish phrase is "çok şükür". You may look it up. I encountered it first time waiting at the traffic light behind a small delivery car with religious superstitious messages inscribed. It was followed by the language's name for some supposedly supreme being: "Çok şükür, A.!"

I laughed for an hour.

Edited by yorikiried by fate
  • Like 1

I just remembered another good one. In Latvian "vista" means chicken (animal and meat). Tells you a lot about how Microsoft values the importance of that specific market...

53 minutes ago, yorikiried by fate said:

I just remembered another good one. In Latvian "vista" means chicken (animal and meat). Tells you a lot about how Microsoft values the importance of that specific market...

In Greek svista (first s can be pronounced like a z) means "erase/delete them". That's exactly what I did. Stuck with XP till about 2010. Such a horrid OS. 

• Like 1

on the subject of the funny shikona, many hears ago some of my favorites were Oshiri, Okenoabura, And Doaho.

We can't forget Kintamayama's Lesser Twin, Gintamayama. Or The Morbidly Obese Debutoko. And If Drug Jokes are allowed on the forum we can't forget small money. :-D

On 08 September 2003 at 23:19, Kintamayama said:

When I invented it, I never dreamed of entring ANY Sumo games. I joined the ML, and everyone had shikonas, so I got myself one. I had a few alternatives. Suffice it to say that Kintamayama was a very "gentle" compromise.. BTW, who on earth invented Doitsuyama??

When I first joined the ML, some esteemed veteran members asked me privately to change it, but I couldn't let them ruin my joke, now could I??

What a surprise but the years have not been good to you Mr Beckham.

On 20 January 2018 at 18:52, Jakusotsu said:

Personally I think its a load of b*lls anyway..;-)