Sign in to follow this  
madorosumaru

Quotes from Day 3 - Kyushu 2007

Chiyotaikai: (Forcing Kisenosato out as soon as he got into yotsu position) If I waited even a split second longer, he would have gotten all set [in his favorite kata].

More Taikai: (Speaking as a man who knows his own limitations) When I'm in yotsu position, I am at jonidan or sandanme [level].

Even more Taikai: (Being sick and lacking keiko time, he was advised by some to try attacking from the side) No, I don't do that. I only fight fair-and-square from the front.

Final words from Taikai: (On being the only sanyaku rikishi who is still undefeated) Well, I do feel that it's about time [that I did well]. But, still, I am doing some really nice sumo. In fact, even if I say so myself, I've been pretty damn good around the edge of the dohyo this basho.

Kokonoe Oyakata: (Shisho is not impressed with Taikai's fast start) He is always good up to this point. The important thing is what he does after this.

Kisenosato: (His last-ditch throw was for naught) I thought my heel might have been a bit out [at the edge of the dohyo]. Even in yotsu, he put on a lot of pressure.

Kaio: (Eschewing his powerful uwate-nage in his yorikiri victory over Kotoshogiku) If I attempt a throw in my current condition, I will injure myself.

More Kaio: (Asked if he is re-gaining his form) I just need to get through each day--one day at a time.

Tomozuna Oyakata: (The shisho is a bit more optimistic than a few days before) I think just the fact that he got the uwate was a plus. Maybe, he is getting some of his confidence back.

Kotoshogiku: (Overwhelmed by his sempai from Kyushu area) I knew this bout was featured in lots of ways, so I really wanted to win. I needed to put more pressure on his body, but I got into the worst possible position. He felt really heavy.

Even more Kaio: (Magnanimous in victory) One day soon, he (Shogun) will be in position to lead the pack in ozumo.

Baruto: (Not satisfied despite his convincing win over Tochiozan) I should have gotten my hips a bit lower. But, that wasn't bad sumo. Right?

More Bart: (All smiles in the dressing room) I've been going to the hot spring near the heya. I also drink some beer and sake from time to time.

Kitanoumi Rijcho: (Hoping for Bart to stir things up) So far, things are going accordingly. If he gets into a hot streak, he can become a very scary presence.

Kotomitsuki: (Not at all happy with the state of his sumo) There was absolutely nothing good about it. I suppose what's interesting about sumo is that one can win even if there is nothing good about his sumo.

More Mickey: (Asked if he thinks his condition will get better) No, not at all.

Ama: (Slapped down by Asasekiryu) My opponent's shikiri [position] was way back, so I suspected something. As a result, I couldn't go full-steam ahead. Darn, I should have just gone full blast.

Asasekiryu: (His victim Ama had beaten two ozeki previously) It doesn't matter who my opponent is. Look, I am ahead of him on the banzuke. I definitely did not want to lose to him.

Wakanosato: (The veteran is cautious even with three wins in a row) I allowed him to grab the uwate first. I need to pull myself together and gambarize. There is still a long way to go. I can't just rest on my laurels.

Tochinonada: (This old vet appeared in his 900th makuuchi bout) That makes it exactly ten years' worth. I am going to gambarize with the intention of getting to 1000 or even further.

Toyohibiki: (Losing to Robocop) The tachiai wasn't bad. If I worry too much about what happens at the edge of the dohyo, my tachiai will suffer. I will just have to believe in myself and go full blast ahead.

Takamisakari: (Pushed to the edge by Toyo's powerful nodowa throat thrust) For a moment, I thought I was in deep trouble but I managed to withstand the attack.

More Robo: (First time in three and half years that he has started 3-0) Am I in top form? Well, I had done plenty of keiko prior to the basho. But, I could still get hurt, so I can't relax and let my guard down.

Kakizoe: (Local favorite getting a big cheer from the crowd) That was really nice. I appreciated that. You say I attacked relentlessly from a low position? Well, that's all I've got.

Hakuho: (In no danger as he picked up his second win) My tachiai was not very good. Miyabi-zeki has very powerful tsuki and oshi, but I was able to get into my kata. I intend to keep doing good sumo from this point on.

Quote of the Day

Wakanoho: Looks like I'm going to get chewed out by [Magaki] Oyakata again.

During Nagoya Basho, Wakanoho pulled a "vaulting horse" stunt against Iwakiyama. For that, he was warned by the shimpan department. Well, the young fellow obviously didn't take that to heart since he did the same thing in his bout against Kaiho yesterday.

Wakanoho: (Why did you do it?) Because he came in with his head low.

More Waka: (As clueless as Kokkai) Look, I won, didn't I?

Hakurozan: (Advising in the Tom Hanks manner) There is no jumping in sumo.

Edited by madorosumaru

Even more Taikai: (Being sick and lacking keiko time, he was advised by some to try attacking from the side) No, I don't do that. I only fight fair-and-square from the front.

For some reason, there is a plethora of today's rikishi comments that are just too juicy to resist picking on. However, I'll settle on this one, and just say that I'm saving it for future use. :-)

Edited by Shomishuu

During Nagoya Basho, Wakanoho pulled a "vaulting horse" stunt against Iwakiyama. For that, he was warned by the shimpan department. Well, the young fellow obviously didn't take that to heart since he did the same thing in his bout against Kaiho yesterday.

chew chew chew!!! :-)

Seen Kaiho's face after this?

Said everything...

Thanks for the rtanslation.

Am doing the same, but about 格差社会(宿題)

寝たいです...

chew chew chew!!! :-)

Seen Kaiho's face after this?

Said everything...

Thanks for the rtanslation.

Am doing the same, but about 格差社会(宿題)

寝たいです...

Well I saw only the stream but Kaiho was reaaally low. Against a tall guy like that, it's calling for trouble. Big trouble. So I would say it's 50/50.

Well I saw only the stream but Kaiho was reaaally low. Against a tall guy like that, it's calling for trouble. Big trouble. So I would say it's 50/50.

Maybe I get everything wrong these days, but a tall guy like Waka versus a small one like Kaiho doing Hatakikomi stuff is mean- out of hinkaku.

You see Kyokutenho doing this all the time? No.

Low head is good to get a tall opponent out of his balance- view Hoshihikari's bouts. (same Heya, same sumo-education in there)

What else to do as a small guy? Standing tachi ai? :-)

Maybe I get everything wrong these days, but a tall guy like Waka versus a small one like Kaiho doing Hatakikomi stuff is mean- out of hinkaku.

You see Kyokutenho doing this all the time? No.

Low head is good to get a tall opponent out of his balance- view Hoshihikari's bouts. (same Heya, same sumo-education in there)

What else to do as a small guy? Standing tachi ai? :-)

I long for the day when a jumping rikishi gets his leg swept in mid air and lands flat on his henka-ing ass (Sign of approval...)

Thanks, Mado-san! These are some great quotes! Woohoo! (Sign of approval...) It sure brought a smile to my face and I needed that today! :-)

Yes, very dirty trick Wacky W'oho performed there.

I heard a very very unkind 'nickname' for him based on what he did today :-)

I long for the day when a jumping rikishi gets his leg swept in mid air and lands flat on his henka-ing ass :-)

Fulfilling my contractual obligation to link to certain video clips (Sign of approval...) every time this subject comes up: Link

Yes, very dirty trick Wacky W'oho performed there.

I heard a very very unkind 'nickname' for him based on what he did today (Showing respect...)

Hehe, no offense, Ba

I long for the day when a jumping rikishi gets his leg swept in mid air and lands flat on his henka-ing ass (Showing respect...)

Fulfilling my contractual obligation to link to certain video clips (Yusho winner...) every time this subject comes up: Link

Oh I forgot about that match! :-) I do miss 'Shuzan and his crazy antics, though... But no one has done a good hatsuso-tobi like Hayateumi in recent times. I miss him, too! (Sign of approval...)

Kokonoe Oyakata: (Shisho is not impressed with Taikai's fast start) He is always good up to this point. The important thing is what he does after this.

I was thinking the same thing about Chiyotaikai.. Even last basho he started out well and then (Neener, neener...) ended with 9-6...

I was thinking the same thing about Chiyotaikai.. Even last basho he started out well and then (Neener, neener...) ended with 9-6...

Well, that's his thing these days. You can count on him to finish with 9 or 10 wins, but unlike most ozeki of that type he's not really a kun-roku ("9-6") ozeki, I'd say...he's still good enough to clobber the maegashira and lower sanyaku to the tune of 8-2 most basho and stay on the outskirts of the yusho race, it's just that he's been quite hapless against the top guys, to the point that it's nearly a foregone conclusion. (Quick quiz: When did Chiyotaikai last go better than 3-2 on the final five days of a basho?)

Still, I like that better than what Kotooshu's been doing...now, there's a model kun-roku ozeki. At least Taikai is more or less fulfilling his responsibility to be that great ol' wall to those ranked below himself. The last time Osh was 8-2 after Day 10 was his Ozeki debut basho...

Edited by Asashosakari

IIRC, 'Taikai has a chronic pectoral muscle issue as well as bad elbows. So his furious thrusting works wonders in the early part of the basho against the (relatively) lower rankers when he's at full strength, but then he tires in the latter portion, just when he has to face the other ozeki and yokozuna. So the great start and slow finish routine is pretty much guaranteed all the time, unless he can solve his physical issues. At his age, that's probably not going to happen.

More Robo: (First time in three and half years that he has started 3-0) Am I in top form? Well, I had done plenty of keiko prior to the basho. But, I could still get hurt, so I can't relax and let my guard down.

No sooner said then it happened. Against Yoshikaze, Robo had the bout 90% won. Then, Yoshi pulled off a spectacular utchari and flung poor Sakari off the dohyo. In the process, Robo injured his ankle and is forced to withdraw from the basho.

The injury report has it that recovery would take six weeks. Azumazeki Oyakata, however, says that there is a possibility he would return later this basho if the swelling goes down. Robo has not been kyujo since 2001 Hatsu Basho.

No sooner said then it happened. Against Yoshikaze, Robo had the bout 90% won. Then, Yoshi pulled off a spectacular utchari and flung poor Sakari off the dohyo. In the process, Robo injured his ankle and is forced to withdraw from the basho.

The injury report has it that recovery would take six weeks. Azumazeki Oyakata, however, says that there is a possibility he would return later this basho if the swelling goes down. Robo has not been kyujo since 2001 Hatsu Basho.

What a mouth. He needs a lot of Banzuke luck to stay in Makunouchi but he will certainly have his worst rank since he got there in 2002.