Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Doping tests to start!

Lecturer in background who looks a lot like Sadogatake Oyakata

i'd put my money on Nishikido Oyakata ....

( i sound like a nerd sometimes .... :-S )

Asa studying the script for his upcoming role in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang":

20080216-00000000-maip-spo-view-000.jpg

Asa receiving the news that his co-star in "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" will be Kaka:

s-sp-080216-4-ns.jpg

Aderechelsea should work for the police. His recognition skills are incredible, even eerie. Sure looks like Nishikido from this angle.

Edited by Kintamayama

Better late then never - expanding debate on dopeness of creatine (with guest appearance of Tamiflu) now has its own thread.

Well, WADA you know.. The Kyokai has decided they would not be doing drug tests in accordance with the WADA rules after all, but will adopt a more flexible approach.. The problem is with the over-the-counter drugs and the exact dosage checking, say the Kyokai people.

They are saying it should be considered that pro Sumo is not like the Olympics in that it's a professional sport. They will, however, be treating muscle-enhancing drugs very harshly. Buying over-the-counter medicine for treatment purposes should not be illegal, they add, even though some of the drugs are considered illegal by WADA rules.

Additionally, the plan was to do mid-basho surprise spot checks. Now they have decided there would be no mid basho checks, since "the effect of muscle enhancing drugs is not immediate, so there is no point in doing mid-basho tests". They will do off basho tests- surprise visits to heya and summoning rikishi for tests at the infirmary.

Strong smell of cop-out fills the air..

Edited by Kintamayama

Well, WADA you know.. The Kyokai has decided they would not be doing drug tests in accordance with the WADA rules after all, but will adopt a more flexible approach.. The problem is with the over-the-counter drugs and the exact dosage checking, say the Kyokai people.

They are saying it should be considered that pro Sumo is not like the Olympics in that it's a professional sport. They will, however, be treating muscle-enhancing drugs very harshly. Buying over-the-counter medicine for treatment purposes should not be illegal, they add, even though some of the drugs are considered illegal by WADA rules.

One thing to keep in mind is that almost no Olympic athlete would enter competitive events with the types of injuries that rikishi regularly do compete with. We'll see how they write up the specific rules (there's a fine line between treatment and muscle-enhancement with some stuff...), but overall I'm not going to be terribly distressed if they decide not to enforce the WADA rules by the letter.

(I suppose Asashoryu's 'garlic' injections will be safe under this, too.)

Wouldn't drugs that allow muscles to heal more readily be illegal, and would also be used mid-basho? I think they might be copping out on mid-basho tests due to the possible illegality of painkillers as well.

Wouldn't drugs that allow muscles to heal more readily be illegal, and would also be used mid-basho? I think they might be copping out on mid-basho tests due to the possible illegality of painkillers as well.

It sounds to me like painkillers won't be illegal to begin with.

this is a touchy area in sumo because injury is not an excuse for not fighting, and as such you get demoted for being injured (obviously except for ozek and yokozuna) ....so requireing them to not take substances that make them heal faster, AND not letting up on the demotion for injury, is going to cause conflict.

its essentially saying "you know how if you get a major injury and you miss two basho you end up in makushita? yeah we arent going to let you take the stuff that lets you come back in two bashos, it will take longer, tough shit"

so one of the things has to give. either you still let them recover quickly, or the steep injury demotions will have to lessen.

as someone said before, the injurys rikishi fight through are ones that keep most other sports athletes out for 6 months- a year....knee injuries usually. what happens to a guy who takes 8 months to fully recover because of WADA rules? he has to start all over again(jonokuchi)? that doesnt seem completely fair. but whatever

Edited by _the_mind_

The special anti-doping committee convened today. "Whatever happens, everything will be done according to WADA rules!!", declared an adamant Oonishi-san, the outside member, amid talk from inside the Kyokai that they will find some "other" way of interpreting the rules, including not doing tests during a hon-basho. "The rijikai should convene and decide the punishments", he added. It looks like the drug test system and banned drug list will comply with WADA standards. the committee would like experimental testing to begin in September, and will push for a rijikai meeting in July to decide that.

The drug committee is awakening. Mr. Onishi, member of said committee, has vowed there will be no second Wakanohou. "If we do spot-checks, it will be a great deterrent against those who seek to use..", he offered. The whole drug thingy has been dragging along slowly. Now, it seems the last event will speed up things, maybe.. "There is an urgency now", he emphasized. Now, the target is Kyushu basho. "We are talking about all the rikishi. We intend to do the tests at the heyas", said Onishi, no relation to Nishi.

Edited by Kintamayama

Surprise urine tests were held today for all sekitori. Everyone was at the rikishi-kai today, so no problem getting hold of the guys (pun intended). Especially precise tests were given to Rohou and Hakurozan, whatever that means..

In any case, quietly but quickly, we have entered a new era.

Positive reaction for Roho and Hakurozan ... stereoids, marijuana or whatever

Edit: positive for marijuana ... didn't I say it before ...

Edited by Fay

OK... with all the talk about marijuana and the tussles of the Nihon Sumo Kyokai, I

There were some in this Forum wondered why the Kyokai did not do hair sample tests on Hakuroho brothers.

According to a member of the Anti Doping Committee, hair samples tests on THC have not only shown false positive before but there is no set forensic standards internationally. As well there are some shampoo marketed to mask the use and certain oil can affect the reading. Some also say melanin in hair can show a false positive as well as lighter hair testing is more difficult. Apparently the hair sampling testing result alone cannot be used as evidence of use. But they say it is hard to beat but will need a good chunk of hair.

Maybe they don't want to have a hair cutting ceremony then (Laughing...)

OK... with all the talk about marijuana and the tussles of the Nihon Sumo Kyokai, I

Not sure which of the many threads to put this in, but I think the Roho emoticon :-O should be updated.

There is reason to believe that a "surprise" testing for "stimulants" will be held as early as next week, say the papers. The anti-doping committee is to convene on the 9th and will probably decide on procedure, timing, etc.

Edited by Kintamayama

There is reason to believe that a "surprise" testing for "stimulants" will be held as early as next week, say the papers.

Until then, drink lots and lots and lots of water!!

There is reason to believe that a "surprise" testing for "stimulants" will be held as early as next week, say the papers. The anti-doping committee is to convene on the 9th and will probably decide on procedure, timing, etc.

So only stimulants? And surprise tests by the organization itself and surprise tests announced beforehand? Very nice.

It still looks more and more like they will never implement anabolic substance tests and the cannabis havoc was a big blessing to Kyokai in this sense.

So time again for the Guess Which Spot on the Banzuke Will Be Blank This Time game...

Really, the banzuke makers have to consider postponing the banzuke creation schedule for after such tests are going to happen - we started to consider these blank banzuke spots BAU already...

"We're at the juncture where the tests are doable. We're not out to get people, just to deter them. As drug tests go, ours will be the strictest of all sports organizations!", said Oonishi committee member. All Kyokai members will be tested-30 cc of urine sample each. A positive result will result in involving the police after the various bodies decide. "Use of cannabis and other illegal drugs" is what the article mentions as targets.

It still looks more and more like they will never implement anabolic substance tests and the cannabis havoc was a big blessing to Kyokai in this sense.

That sentence makes a great deal of sense. It seems to me that it is the duty of an organization controlling athletic competition to see that all athletes compete with no one taking unfair advantage. I doubt very much if the use of marijuana or any other stimulant (which also may be a depressant) would give anyone an advantage over those who don't use them. But since the use of those drugs is illegal, testing for them probably will be strongly supported by the public. On the other hand, the use of alcohol is not illegal and I'm sure is abused by many rikishi. There is absolutely no clamor to control its use. As they say in basketball, "no harm, no foul".

>As drug tests go, ours will be the strictest of all sports organizations!", said Oonishi committee member.

That would be a very strong statement if the tests involved substances that produce unfair athletic advantage. But what good is the strictest tests "of all sports organizations" if they don't test for the proper drugs? Kaikitsune Makoto is correct. The cannabis situation diverted pressure on the NSK from taking on the much more serious problem of steroid misuse. I also doubt very much if they will ever seriously try to stop it. ;-)