Sign in to follow this  
Otokonoyama

Kotooshu

He looks fine physically, but really seems to be rushing his sumo. He isn't showing any patience on the dohyo, and seems to want to finish his matches asap, regardless of whether his opponent is giving any opening or not.

Any insights?

I don't know what you mean. Today it was bad luck that his hand touched first-what I could see, watching the stream. He looks much better this Basho then before when he used Hatakikomi and similar kimarite a lot. Maybe the knee is better or he just want's to show what he is really able to do.

I don't know what you mean. Today it was bad luck that his hand touched first-what I could see, watching the stream.

bad luck?

he tried to dampen his fall and in the end was turned over fully.....

That was disappointing. It looked as though it had it and then his hand went down, for no reason I could see. He gave that one away.

well, kotooshu completely controled the bout, he had two hands grip, but he just screw it up on the end, not being able to throw dejima. it was not dejima's win, but more than kotooshu's lost. he beated himself. sad, but true. he always screw it up on the first week.

;-) kotooshu seems to me like giant, who afraid mices. he can beat everybody, but still lurks like mediokre ozeki.

Kotooshu is big, naturally athletic, and seems to have good ring sense. He just seems unable to wait for an opening, or to work methodically to unbalance his opponent. He wants to get the win by forcing things before they are ready. In this way he looks a little out of control even when he manages to win. It's hard to view him as a serious contender this way.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Kotooshu had his best position, did his pull in and then went for his powerful uwatenage. It was all Dejima's brilliance in reading that, reacting with very solid footwork and timing. He simply countered Kotooshu's move in perfect way. Kotooshu lost this one fully and didn't give anything away. Dejima won this fully and succeeded in his tactics well when Osh got the migi-yotsu pin. Any sanyaku can beat any rikishi any day.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Kotooshu had his best position, did his pull in and then went for his powerful uwatenage. It was all Dejima's brilliance in reading that, reacting with very solid footwork and timing. He simply countered Kotooshu's move in perfect way. Kotooshu lost this one fully and didn't give anything away. Dejima won this fully and succeeded in his tactics well when Osh got the migi-yotsu pin. Any sanyaku can beat any rikishi any day.

That's it...

Bad luck for Kotooshu, who could have won with the nage, but Dejima held his balance and it was Osh putting his hand down first.

Maybe luck is the wrong word, but any other guy could have had less good footwork...

Maybe luck is the wrong word, but any other guy could have had less good footwork...

this is very strange.....

losing for anyone is bad luck, because he met the wrong opponent on the wrong day

why can't you just admit, that kotooshu was outfought by dejima who was the better rikishi today?

and even without the hands down kotooshu would have lost....then his head would have touched first......

Genki ippai Osh was again beaten fair and square in a very usual match-up between him and Toyonoshima. That position has been the natural one when they lock horns or when Toyonoshima locks his horn on Osh's chin due to slight height difference. Toyonoshima controlled and did a neat throw. It is a rough ride to get 10-5 this basho for Osh.